Ally Bank with 2FA and then CC-508 ? (edit)

Options

Answers

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

That is an odd one as that's an unusal message. Most of us saw a pop-up needs attention, but no mention of a passwrord change.

Have you tried Resetting the Account? Says that no changes will be made, but i find it could change the opening balance so watch for that. Usually a safe thing to try. And back up before to be sure.

Right click account, Edit/Delete, Online Services, Reset

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, although the balance was correct on one Ally account, the opening balance was incorrect and incorrect by exactly the total of transfers missing for that account!!

I went online and downloaded the .QXF file from Ally. Imported into Quicken. Deleted the duplicates. It correctely added the two missing transfers. I corrected the opening balance manually. All good.

Then did an OSU and only one Ally bank was now there. The other gone and all seem to update.

So I mention this in case anyone else runs into similar and an example of how even when it apears to be working you may have to check more throughly and spend a little time to get back to healthy.

• JC18
    JC18 Member
    Options
    This issue is resolved for me. Quicken still claims that MFA is required and prompts for where to send security code. Security code is received from Ally and entered into Quicken. The MFA is accepted without error and Quicken performs the Ally download as expected. All transactions that occurred during the problem period are present, and the account balances are correct.
  • Melman1
    Melman1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Looks to me like Ally got Quicken to put them back on the “not upgrading to the new security” list. They didn't implement anything on their site where you authorize Ally to accept data requests from Quicken. Things are working exactly as they did before. This is disappointing. We will see this problem with Ally again someday when Quicken finally runs out of patience with lazy FI's like this.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MElman1 - curious, when Quicke runs out of paitence with “lazy FIs". what is Quicken's recourse? Isn't Quicken the "tail that can't way the dog" in today's environment?

• kon21
    kon21 Member ✭✭
    Options
    appears to be work as of evening of 3/2.
  • Melman1
    Melman1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

All I can say, is here is what you have to do to authorize Quicken to access a Charles Schwab account. Someone smarter than I will have to explain further. It was my understanding a few years ago that all FI's would improve their security in this way. I think the problem we've had in the last few days, was that Quicken put Ally on the “new and improved” list, reasons unknown, and now they are back on the “old and unimproved” list because things are back to the way they were before. I believe it was Quicken's long term intent, and maybe the overall direction of the industry, for everyone to upgrade their security like this.

https://www.quicken.com/support/errors-when-updating-or-adding-charles-schwab-accounts

• kon21
    kon21 Member ✭✭
    Options
    quicken is working, but my apps that use Plaid appear to still have a problem.
  • Dave in SF
    Dave in SF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I disconnected my Ally account from downloads and then set it up again, and it seems to be working now.

• vital411
    vital411 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Finally working! Had to disconnect and setup again but now it's all good.
  • nonoville
    nonoville Member ✭✭
    Options
    Still broken here. Tried reset, then deactivate and failed when reactivating..
  • mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It works for me, albeit you have to manually delete a bunch of duplicate transactions. Total PITA.

• Nat!
    Nat! Member
    Options
    Was getting consistent CC-508 errors from Ally downloads since middle of last week. This morning Quicken still prompted for the 2FA code for Ally, but everything downloaded fine. Back to normal as of this morning. B)
  • lw30510
    lw30510 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yay, after 2FA auth, download worked fine for me this morning!
  • mmedwede
    mmedwede Member
    Options
    My Ally CC-508 issue is resolved this morning. After 2FA submitted my Ally accounts appeared and were successfully linked to existing Quicken accounts.
  • mmedwede
    mmedwede Member
    Options
    After relinking accounts I initially had a reconciling issue, but it turned out to be the historical opening balance for the account. Opening balance should have been zero, but the relinking of accounts resulted in a modified opening balance which was equal to the reconciling issue. I zeroed out the opening balance and reconciliation was fine.
  • rclksr
    rclksr Member ✭✭
    Options
    wow what a mess! I'm not sure how I can fix this. My Checking account goes back to 2015. If I connect to Ally it changes my opening balance from $0.00 to $-2607.60. It also appears to have missing transactions starting back in 2015 and continuing throughout the years. At least I don't seem to have any CC-508 errors.
  • paulb1234
    paulb1234 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Works for me now. I won't transfer my $ out of Ally after all.
  • Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    Options

For what its worth, I have had the CC-508 error from Ally bank for the past week. I can log into ALLY with no pop-up windows or issues. I figured it was worth a try to change my password to ALLY. I did and now can connect to ALLY with Quicken .

• Louis Matarazzo
    Louis Matarazzo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

it is also working for me. After contacting g Ally yesterday, they did SAY IT WAS ON THERE END and a resolution would by today, working now on all my banking apps!

• TuckerTF
    TuckerTF Member ✭✭
    Options
    Don't hold your breath people! I reported a problem with the Ally Bank website's external transfer capability close to 2 years ago and it's still not fixed.
  • mmedwede
    mmedwede Member
    Options
    Quicken is the only personal finance software I have found that lets you keep all your financial details locally. Anything else is a non-starter for me. I imagine it is a task for their support team to orchestrate access for Quicken users through their servers for all the multiple banks, credit cards and investment brokers who are probably constantly changing their security protocols as well. Problems I've had while maintaining my 30-year-old QDATA file are inconvenient, but I cannot imagine life without the single stop accounting, planning and reconciliation that I have through Quicken. Now if they made it FREE that would be mighty nice, but otherwise I'm seriously hooked.
  • Michae
    Michae Member
    Options
    My Ally accounts started working today but now my Discover Card and Renasant Bank are getting the CC-508 error and there are no popups that need attention on their websites.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd start a new discussion. It wil get lost here. And maybe search before you do in case someone already started those.

• joelbrubaker
    Options
    Any others getting Ally working? The MFA pop ups tell me things are reconnects. However, transactions going back to 2/22 still aren't coming down, and the quicken balances and online balance in Ally do not match. I'm just off the phone with Ally Tech Support. Their solution was to manually download the transactions from the web site. I've deactivated and reactivated and nothing changed.
  • Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Sometimes a log off QUICKEN then loggin back in helps. It has me in the past

• racer0692
    racer0692 Member ✭✭
    Options
    It is working for me now as well.
    I did have to enter the MFA code once and since then it updates without needing it anymore.
  • Rick G.
    Rick G. Member
    Options
    Today, March 6 2023, I tried using One Step Update to refresh my Ally accounts after suffering the same 2FA CC-508 endless loop for two weeks. This time, the 2FA seemed to work and I received a cc-800 error indicating that one of my accounts had been deleted. Could this be progress? Yes! I had attempted to reset my checking account when I first saw the 2FA/CC-508 error a couple weeks ago, so it was deactivated and I thought that might be the culprit.

Solution:

I deactivated and then set up all four of my Ally accounts individually (one checking, three savings). Each time a 2FA was required and a list of accounts would appear. Sometimes I had to do this twice before the account I was looking for would on the list and be available for me to select "link to existing." Once this was complete I was able to download transactions to the accounts and reconcile to the online balances.

Most transactions appear to have downloaded correctly for each account since the last successful update in February with one major exception: Interest payments deposited by Ally in February did not download for my three savings accounts, and Quicken adjusted the opening balance on these accounts by the same amount. I had to change the opening balance back to its correct amount and enter the February interest payments manually.

If you try this fix, remember to write down the original opening balances for the affected accounts in case you have to go back and correct them. Sadly this has happened to me several times over the years when having to reset accounts.

I have a few transactions hitting each of the accounts over the next few days. I will post another update when I have verified that transactions are downloading correctly
  •  quick2020
    quick2020 Member ✭✭
    Options
    My downloads are working as expected (same as before). I had to enter the code once but not the second time.
  • BillQ
    BillQ Member ✭✭
    Options

Downloads have been working for a few days and the 2FA requests have stopped but Quicken is still reporting a CC-508 error message every time I run a one step update to Ally and of course there is nothing at the Ally site when I sign in directly????

This discussion has been closed.