Quicken Canada Stock Quotes Problem with Latest Release

Options
13»

Comments

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Janean

As requested here is anther where $80.88 as reported by Quicken <> $82.07!

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JoelC What happens when you set the market to "Toronto" as I believe it should be set for that security. Does setting the market change the price quote?

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As you can see in the below image it is already done, it juts does not appear in Security View (another bug)!

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

I have been following this issue with interest (Cdn stock quotes in US$) for some time. I'm still using Quicken 45.18 and have not experienced this problem.

Since I also hold some TD shares traded on the TSX, I decided to compare my settings with those shown by JoelC above. Since these were purchased many years ago the original symbol setup was simply TD, (without the TSX: prefix).

However when I click on the "Look Up" box beside the symbol, it shows me that the exchange for just plain "TD" is listed as NYSE. But for some reason it is still tracking the TSX quotes.

If I type in TSE:TD into the Enter Symbol Lookup it will show me that TSX is the exchange.

Out of interest in a backup I changed the symbol from TD to TSE:TD, it allowed me to transfer all historical quotes from TD to TSE:TD. It also now showed the exchange to be the TSX in the Security Symbol Look Up box.

I then deleted a 2 days of quotes. When I tried updating the prices it would not bring in any quotes. Also in the "Security Detail View", next to "Market", instead of showing TSX, it showed N/A, just as in JoelC's screenview.

Again, I'm still using 45.18. When I changed the symbol back to just "TD" and I deleted the last 2 days quotes, they updated correctly without issue.

This leads me to believe that something has changed within the new versions of the program (48.15 & 50.9) that tries to integrate exchanges and prices but something is not working and the fact that no "Market" is specified in the "Security Detail View" may have something to do with it.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

One thing I noticed, after changing back to the plain "TD" symbol, it would correctly show quotes for Canada, but when I opened the Security Detail View, the "Market" designation still remains "N/A" as opposed to "TSX" before I changed the symbol from TD to TSE:TD.

I don't know if any of this helps at all but I thought I'd throw it in.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

And the "Security Symbol Lookup" box also show NYSE as the exchange, but the "Exchange" as shown in the "Edit Security Details" box still shows "Toronto" as the exchange for the "TD" symbol. Perplexing to say the least.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

@Paul Skayman -

I notice that in the "Type" at the top left of your screenshot it is listed as ELD Stock. This is a custom type that is not part of the predetermined list of selections. Type listings can be added or edited but it should simply be selected from the default setting list as a "Stock"

I used a backup file to add Eldorado Gold as a holding in my portfolio to see if I could duplicate the error, but everything worked fine for me with the correct quotes downloaded.

I should note that I am using Quicken Home and Business (Canada) for Windows, version 45.18. This is before Quicken was updated to 48.15 and then 50.9. I know that others have had issues with interlisted stocks like TD and BCE that trade both on the TSX and NYSE.

However here are the steps I took. In the Account view select "Enter Transaction".

In the "Security name" I typed ELD and then selected "Add Security" from the window that opened. I selected TSE:ELD from the list then clicked "Next". The security was added to my "Security List".

I then purchased 100 shares of Eldorado (ELD) at $14 per share on July 10, 2023. When I updated the price history for ELD it downloaded the correct prices as per TSX.

To double check I selected Eldorado from my Portfolio view and right-clicked on it and selected "Edit Security" to show this -

You can see that the "Symbol" is listed as simply "ELD", (not TSE:ELD as I selected in the "Add Security" box), the "Type" is simply "Stock" and the Exchange is "Toronto".

Finally If I right click on Eldorado from my Portfolio view and select "Security view" you can see that the correct closing price on the TSX for Friday July 14, 2023 is shown and that I was able to import the correct price history for the past 5 years.

Again I am using Quicken 45.18 and I know there have been some changes that have caused it to show US$ price or price conversions for some Canadian stock listed in the US. I hope this helps. Let us know if you've solved the issue or not.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

@JoelC

When you were setting up the TD holding in the account, did you select TD from the "Add Security" listing when you added the stock or did you manually add TSE:TD into the Security name box when buying the shares?

Out of interest I tried adding BCE to my portfolio since I do not already hold this stock to see what would happen. If use the "Add Security" drop down list and select TSE:BCE from the list, it just shows up as BCE in the Edit Security view, and the correct prices are imported and the "Market" is listed as "TSX".

Strangely when I click on "Edit Details" and then "Look Up" it shows pain "BCE" as a NYSE stock.
    When I then select TSE:BCE from the list, it doesn't change the simply "BCE" symbol in the "Security View" window. Have you tried changing the Symbol for TD in the "Edit Security" window to just "TD" and then selecting "Lookup" and then selecting TSE:TD from the list? For me, it then changes the Symbol in the "Edit Security back to plain "TD" and then imports the correct quotes.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

@JoelC

TD is an anomaly. I tried adding in an account where I don't have it and the only selection for it was TD - NYSE. So I selected that and then made sure I selected the Toronto Exchange.

I then purchased some shares and imported Historical Prices. All were accurate including Friday's closing price of $83.815 Cdn. Try switching the Symbol name from TSE:TD to TD.

Again, I'm using Quicken 45.18 and this may not be the case in 50.9

• Paul Skayman
    Paul Skayman Member ✭✭
    Options

@JosefW

Thanks for the work and the detailed explanation around ELD. I did create a Custom Type as I wanted to know what I had where for this stock. I think the key problem is the version. As you say 45.18 seems to work, I'm using 48.15 and it doesn't, and the 50.09 definitely doesn't. Interestingly, I just purchased some Endeavour Mining (EDV:TO) and duly entered it as a Canadian stock, (I think the TSE entry on the stocks is a red herring by the way). When I updated the price changed from $ 32.26 (purchase price) to $ 84.35 which is the price of the US listed Vanguard Extended Duration Treasury Index Fund (listed on NYSEArca as EDV) closing price for Friday night.

If anybody could make a Canadian Home and Business V 45.18 available for download I'd be interested in seeing whether that sorts out our problem, or whether there is an issue going backwards. I could run it on a new laptop as a trial and report back. I think this is what some are waiting for Quicken to say - but radio silence so far!

Best,

Paul S.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To all, thank you for all the hard work though I am still saddened to note that it is stock price are still a mess (and essentially not usable).

@JosefW I am running booth Quicken for Mac and Quicken Home and Business for Windows (why this is important is explained below) noting:

1. I had two issues with Quicken Home and Business for Windows namely; i) Canadian stock prices not updating and b) confusion when a stick traded on both Canadian and US stocks exchanges (i.e., I uses to get TD on the Canadian exchange updating with TD US exchange prices which wrongly showed massive losses). This was NOT not unique to TD as it happened to other similar stocks (i.e., TRI).
    2. I noticed on the Quicken for Mac that the Canadian stocks prices were continuing to be updated properly on BOTH exchanges. I then further noticed that the Canadian exchanges were prefixed with TSE so I added it manually to see what would happen → no updates. I concluded that this was far better than having massive losses show up everyday so left it.

I really wish Quicken would fix this as it IS a major problem that needs correction!

Again, much thanks!

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

@Paul Skayman

Re: downloading prior version of Quicken. That's a great question. I did a little a digging and it seems that there is a site where you can download prior versions. Quicken will try to automatically update your version if you are online. The suggestion is to download and then install while offline. If you have a spare computer without Quicken installed or where you can uninstall before re-installing an older version this would be worth trying.

The idea is if your subscription has expired they will allow you to reinstall and use the version you had prior to expiry.

Here is a link where you can download prior Canadian versions under this scenario. 45.18 is the November 2022 version.

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has-1

The idea is to then install it while you are offline.

2 things I would emphasize before trying this.

1. - Make a backup image of your computer before installing, and/or creating a Windows restore point. Or If you have a spare computer or laptop try installing it there. (You can run multiple versions of Quicken on multiple computers under the same account).
    2. - To prevent Quicken from automatically updating once you are back online, make sure your Windows User Account Control Setting is set at the highest level to "Always Notify"

Lastly, make sure you have a duplicate or backup copy of your data files to use with the older version. In the past when Quicken updated to major newer versions it would sometimes modify and update the data files and then automatically make a backup folder and save the older data files. I don't believe Quicken has done this on recent updates but I am not 100% sure.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

A bit of a random thought on this issue…. this seems to be being reported mostly on the Canadian side. That might be more because a relatively small number of Americans (users of the USA version) would purchase securities traded on the US exchange and it seems this affects securities traded on the Canadian exchange where the same ticker symbol is listed on a US exchange for the same or different corporate entity. As such, the problem might not be with the Canadian version of Quicken; the issue might be more related to the fact that many Canadians would own securities affected by the issue, but few Americans would own Canadian securities affected by the issue. If Quicken's system is problematically choosing the US exchange on a priority basis, I can see how that the issue would affect USA users, even though working with the same program logic.

• Paul Skayman
    Paul Skayman Member ✭✭
    Options

@JosefW

Thanks so much for the information on the earlier versions. I will install as per your recommendations and report back to the group on how the installation goes (with a current (backed up) file) and how the Canadian equities behave. That will have to be tomorrow as I'm away for the day.

Thanks again and looking forward to reporting back.

Paul S.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul Skayman , I look forwardto your report as I did download but it did not solve teh problem for me. Perhaps it was because I did not go offline as @JosefW suggests in his post to you. Nonetheless, I look forward to your findings! Thanks.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

@JoelC

After you downloaded and installed the earlier version (45.18), and you open Quicken and check under "Help" > "About Quicken" is it showing you the following? -

If so, and you are still having these price issues, then there is definitely something else going on that seems to have been modified in the actual data file. not just the program. This is why data file backups that pre-date the upgrades may be useful. (and making separate data file backups prior to an upgrade.)

When you look at the price history for an affected stock is there a point or date where it clearly starts to show the price difference (Cdn to US)? or is the complete history overwritten?

Unfortunately I don't have a spare computer at the moment otherwise I would try installing the latest version (50.9) on it and copy my data files over to see what happens.

• Paul Skayman
    Paul Skayman Member ✭✭
    Options

All,

So, I tried a clean install on a new laptop and that failed dismally. I was missing a couple of .dll files and the installation would not proceed.

I then backed up my current data file and downloaded and installed Version 45.18 from the website supplied above. This worked fine and the data file uploaded without issue. I didn't go offline and 45.18 seems to work fine. My Quicken version tells me that there is an update but does not try to update it automatically (not sure what setting this is). Importantly, when I updated my Investing tab using the Update button, everything updated using Canadian equity values. Obviously, anyone trying this make sure they have their data backed up properly and try this on a second computer if that is an option.

I'll keep monitoring and report back over the next few days.

Thanks,

Paul S.

• Paul Skayman
    Paul Skayman Member ✭✭
    Options

As a second comment, I completed a new install on my new laptop of Quicken. Quicken provided me with Version 50.16. I have now updated my Equities and this version also provided me with the correct prices for the troublesome Canadian equities.

I downloaded it from here ( https://www.quicken.com/activate?step=initDownload&os=win&store=CA and selected 'I'm installing or re-installing Quicken' . I'm not sure where 50.16 came from or whether it is up for release shortly.

I'm now running two separate versions on two computers (45.18 and 50.16) and will report back if I see any more problems.

Thanks,

Paul S.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

@Paul Skayman

Good to know you were able to install 45.18 and the new 50.16 and that both versions are updating quotes correctly. Thanks for letting us know.

What's strange is that there are no new release notes for a Canadian version 50.16. The last Canadian version is 50.9. I have noticed that they often don't immediately list the latest Canadian release even after they have rolled it out.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes

Just out of curiosity, in the 50.16 version, when you go to "Help" in Quicken top menu and then click "About Quicken", does it show you the Version: R50.16, the Build number (27.1.50.16)? and then Edition: Canada?

Thanks again for keeping us posted..

• Paul Skayman
    Paul Skayman Member ✭✭
    Options

@JosefW

I agree and fully expected 50.9 to be the file uploaded. Below is a screen grab of the Quicken About.

I'll keep using the two and let you know if I see any other problems.

Paul S.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi All!

I apologize for the delayed response but am trying to take a week off and shut down a bit; have not been terrible successful maybe 50% time off / 50% work! :(

I have caught up on the above posts and they seem encouraging and I am looking forward to getting version 50.16 which will hopefully fix the prblem.

That said, I am concerned that @JosefW's comment may be correct that there may be something wrong with the data file and, unfortunately, I do not have one that pre-dates the upgrade (NOT that I would want to catch up on the entries entered between the interveening dates)!

When I get back home I will try a fresh / clean install on a separate laptop that I have to determine whether the problem is my data file or Quicken, stay tuned!!

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

@JoelC @Paul Skayman @Arctic Hare

Re: Canadian version Release Notes - very confusing!

For fun I checked to see what "Check for Updates" under the Quicken "Help" tab would tell me.
    Like a bolt out of the wild blue yonder it now says -

I'm still waiting for the Release Notes for R50.16, let alone R51.11 to show up on Quicken's Release Notes page - https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes#section-1

It seems like they have little interest in publishing on that site what changes they are making in new (Canadian) releases.

However, by accident I discovered that if click on "What's New in Quicken", under the "Help" tab, it will open a window showing some spiffy new features in my current version (R45.18).

If I then click on the link in the bottom left of that window that says - "Open Release Notes", it will show me the current changes made in R51.11 and all prior versions (see below). Interestingly the version that Paul Skayman showed above as installed (R50.16) doesn't appear in the list. It seems to have been a work in progress jumping from 50.9 to the current 51.11.

Judging by the list of changes and fixes over the last couple of months, Quicken seems to be very busy on our old Canadian version.

• Paul Skayman
    Paul Skayman Member ✭✭
    Options

So, I've been running three versions now for about a week (45.18, 50.09 and 50.16) and it appears that the Canadian equity pricing issue that started this thread is no longer a problem. How is everyone else getting along with which versions. I suspect that they have fixed something behinds the scenes as I'm not seeing it with versions that were giving us all problems previously.

What is everyone else seeing?

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Although there is no mention of fixing stock price quotes, they do appear to be fixed! Atleast my first attempt worked. And here is to going that the fix sticks!

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I do not believe that there was a Canadian Version R50.16. We have witnessed a few examples, and I think this is one of those, where we see US Rev numbers (incorrectly) associated with the "Canadian" version. I've never skipped a Quicken update, but today I updated from R50.9 to R51.1. I am concerned by the handful of cases I've noted where people have posted US Rev numbers mapped to Canadian version. Something is amiss. And, as we see in this this thread, there are no release notes for Canadian R50.16 - because it didn't exist.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare and to be clear, the Release Notes that Iposted are from Quicken for Windows Home and Business.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I don't believe Quicken issues separate release notes for the various levels of service. It is the same App for all levels - Quicken has a method to turn features off/on based on what level of service you pay for.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare I have no idea as I only have the one version. That said, that approach would be awfully confusing as the end user would have no idea as to whether a given feature did / did not work!

• Arctic Hare
    Options

Quicken doesn't even get the description of features versus version right on its marketing page - I'd be shocked if they issued separate release notes by version. There are release notes for the Canadian version, the US version, and the MAC version, but that's the only differentiation.

Note that Quicken calls the levels "plans" - they are not different apps or versions. If you were paying for the "deluxe" plan and upgraded to the "H&B" plan, that would simply turn on certain features. No reinstall required… and no difference in the release notes.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
This discussion has been closed.