Quicken Canada Stock Quotes Problem with Latest Release

Options

Comments

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hey Quicken, are you listening or watching, it has been one week and no answer!
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

I called Quicken support as suggested above. Useless! [Edited-Readability]

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options
    JoelC, If you're still having problems with the rollback to v45.18, you might try restoring an older backup file (that was backed up before you updated Quicken) and see if that makes a difference.

Regarding some stock quotes not updating correctly or to US price - I have not yet updated Quicken Canada for Windows from v45.18 (April 23) to v48.15, and I am not having this problem.

A few weeks ago I started having an issue with one file (I use a number of different files for various members of my family). whereby nothing would happen after initiating One Step Update. All other files worked normally. In the problem file I could still update quotes using the "Update" (quotes) button at the top right of the Portfolio screen.

So I tried restoring a backup file to before the problem started and this fixed that problem.

This "stock price" problem seems to have started with the latest update (v48.15) and others have mentioned that rolling back to v45.18 has solved the problem, but perhaps Quicken has done something to the current file.

The latest problem now is that currency rates are not updating and this is also happening with the previous version v45.18. It just started a few days ago around May 25 or 26 and has been flagged - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7935340/error-unable-to-download-currency-rates-try-again-later#latest. This has probably something to do with the data provider and not the Quicken or its versions.

Unfortunately Quicken is prone to issues and the Canadian version doesn't seem to get the quality of attention as its much larger US version. After many past issues I do not upgrade to the latest version until after some time to see what problems might pop up. Although I'm relieved that I dodged the "stock price" bullet, I'm sad to see this issue is still ongoing after 6 weeks.
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @JosefW , I think you for your detailed response.

I have rolled back to V45.18 and unfortunately it has NOT solved the problem. I was hoping that when speaking with Quicken they would have a definite version to rollback to as opposed to randomly rolling back (on a trial or error basis).

It is, as you correctly note, unfortunate that Quicken Canada does get the same attention as Quicken US. This is such a fundamental issue I was hoping that this would be high on their radar to get fixed but apparently it is nowhere in sight. The call I had with Quicken support was terribly disappointing.

We can only hope that a fix will come sooner rather than later, as doubtful as that is!

Again, much thanks.
  • Roberto8895
    Roberto8895 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @JoelC I share your frustration, and suspect many other Canadian users are receiving the same lack of attention from Quicken support. I was on to them about this over a month ago. I've tried every suggestion to no avail. I'm guessing that no one from Quicken even looks at this 'Quicken support forum'. I've called, I've emailed, and I've ranted here; is it time for some of us to ask for a refund?
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Roberto8895 agreed! It is certainly among the worst support that I have received in a very very long time, perhaps ever!

I am amazed that they cannot simply provide a version to role back to get the stock quotes to work. This is certainly not a heavy lift for them.

I will certainly be responding to the next "update" letter I receive from the CEO.

Fingers crossed for a response and a solution!
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yikes, new problem, I wonder whether it is related! I can no longer download the current f/x rates!

Wondering whether anyone else has this problem?
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Arctic Hare said:
    > Check out this thread:

Appreciated, I have jumped into that thread as well!
  • JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options
    Stock Quote Problem - I have not not updated from 45.18 to 48.15 and am not having this issue but I have some suggestions of what to check. (All my stock prices are still updating correctly as of June 2, and the currency exchange rate issue, which was a separate problem, has now been fixed.)

1. Check the details of the Account that the stock is held in. The currency of the account would have been set when the account was created and cannot be changed. Under "Tools" select "Account List" and then click on the "edit" box for that account. The currency should be "Canadian Dollar". (See attached screenshot file)

2. Check the details for the Security. Under "Investing" - "Portfolio" view, right click the security e.g. BCE, and then select "Edit Security" - The "Type" should be - Stock, the "Currency" (greyed out) - Canadian Dollar, and the "Exchange" - Toronto. (See attached screenshot file)

If the "Currency" is Canadian Dollar in both the Account and for the Security and the "Exchange" is Toronto, and it's still showing the wrong price after updating then there is definitely an issue with the new Quicken version 48.15.

If this is the case then the current file data (and stock price history) will have likely been changed in some way by the new Quicken update version. Quicken by default should automatically backup your accounts data files (You can check this under "Edit" - "Preferences" - select "Backup" and "Automatic Backups" should be selected with the number of backups.)

If you are still having issues after rolling back to version Quicken 45.18, you could try to see if you have a data backup file that was created and saved before you installed the 48.15 update. If so, try restoring that file (after rolling back to v45.18), which will hopefully have the "stock price history" prices before they were changed to the US$. (Under "File" - select "Restore a Backup File".)

Before restoring the backup you could also check the "Price History" of the affected stocks in the current, which will show a list of daily prices to determine the date when the change started to happen. Hopefully the data backup files you have will predate this change. (see attached file)

Again, not having had this issue myself, this is just a suggestion.
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JosefW Are you now receiving currency (f/x) price updates? The fix didn't work for me. May 26 is still my latest f/x update. The error message is gone, but the f/x rates don't actually update.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JosefW As a start, thank you fro yru detailed posting. I checked everything as you suggested and am continuing to have BOTH the stock updating problem as well as the f/x problem.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

@JosefW out of curiosity, when you run One Step Update, how long does it normally take for the OSU process to complete - from the time when you click "update" to when you get the results summary box?

• edwardlican
    edwardlican Member ✭✭
    Options
    JoelC, I feel your frustration for I have experience the same problem. In late May, the currency is not updating anymore, I need to use edit to manual update the exchange rate myself. The stock price is quoted in the US dollar even the stock is clearly indicated a Canada stock and trade in TSE. (But I found out that if you use the "currency update button" you can still get the Canada quote, but if you use the "update" stock quote button on the top right hand corner of the portflio screen, you will get the incorrect US$ quote from the US).
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@edwardlican , it is good to know, but still unfortunate, that others ae experiencing the same challenges. I tried the work-around in yoru above post and note that it is not working for me (i.e., the "Currency Update Button" is not providing Canadian Stock Prices).

Still waiting on Quicken to fix this!!

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Arctic Hare @JoelC
    My One Step Update is showing that my currency rates have been updated as of June 6. (see screenshot), but when I go to the "Currency List" under "Tools", select the US$ currency and then "Historical Prices" the last date is May 25 (see screenshot). Before yesterday OSU was still showing currency rates not updating. So it seems OSU does not really update the currency even though it shows that is has. This is actually more problematic than when it was simple not working and stating it correctly.

The good news is that stock and fund prices are all updating correctly for me (as of June 6).
    I'm sorry to hear that neither stocks or currencies are work for JoelC even after rolling back and restoring an older data backup file. The only other thing I can think of is to definitely uninstall the current version whatever it is and then reinstalling 45.18 from scratch. I would also rename the data file folder so Quicken doesn't automatically locate the current file. Then try opening or restoring an older backup data file from the renamed data file folder.

I'm also quite upset but not surprised that even though the subscription costs of Quicken have escalated substantially the support it provides has diminished proportionately.
  • JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Arctic Hare
    My OSU actually completes fairly quickly, roughly around 15 seconds. Again all I'm really doing is updating quotes and currencies. All my bank accounts and Credit Cards I have to update using the old Web Connect method initiated from the bank websites. They are not updating with OSU.
    I prefer doing a monthly bank update and reconciliation and having more control of each of the steps and accounts
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

Ahhh…. yes, my OSU completes very quickly (< 2 seconds) if I don't include downloading transactions via Express Web Connect. It is the use of Express Web Connect that extends the OSU run time from under 1 second to more than 3 minutes. That is, using OSU to update only security prices and f/x rates is virtually instantaneous. Using OSU for transaction download became extremely slow more than a year ago.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Arctic Hare
    Are you using the Quicken R48.15 update? Are your Canadian stock quotes updating correctly, i.e. not translating to US$ quotes?
    I also assume your f/x rates are not showing any new prices in the Currency List > Historical Prices window past May 26.
    As of this morning under "Alerts, Online Banking and Known Product Issues", Quicken Jasmine confirmed the f/x rate problem as a US & Canada issue and that it is still being looked into at an escalated level.
  • Andy123
    Andy123 Member
    Options

I had the price update issue as well. I spent an hour on the phone with tech support, validating my data files etc.. It was a total waste of time! After all of that mucking around with no solution, I discovered that the problem isn't with my data file as the tech kept telling me, but with real time quotes which is a new feature in the latest release. That's why when we upgraded, everything went haywire.

It's an easy fix, just disable real time quotes. To do this, just go to edit/preferences/investments and un-check real time quotes. You can now use the update button and get the correct stock prices.

I've found that real time quotes will re-enable itself intermittently so if you use the update button and your prices are messed up again, it's because it's re-enabled itself. Just remove the checkmark and you're good to go.

Also, even though the currency prices say they are updated, they aren't. I've been manually updating the US dollar prices. Go to tools/currency list, scroll to the currency you want to change and click on the edit button, put in the prices and click OK.

Whoever is writing the code for Quicken is doing a terrible job. For a subscription based software it's super sloppy. If there was something else better I would use it but I can't find anything even close. I've been using Quicken for over 30 years so it makes it hard to change anyway. They obviously know that, that's the reason they went to subscription. They essentially have a captive audience. That's bad enough, but then to release versions that are full of bugs is so disrespectful to their users.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I am running R48.15. I investing in ETFs and MFs; typically not individual stocks. I haven't happened across the sock price currency issue naturally, but did run a test and replicated the problem. My last f/x price update happened on May 26. Like everyone else is experiencing, OSU says it updates the rates, but there are no new rates in the rate history table.

• Andy123
    Andy123 Member
    Options

OK. Just started Quicken and it updated itself to R50.9. I see that they've removed real time quotes as an option from edit/preferences/investments so Canadian stock prices are now updating correctly.

Currency prices are still not updating though…

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Arctic Hare @Andy123
    Thanks for the clarifications. I'm still running R45.18. I have had "Real-time quotes" selected since they announced the change in the R45.18 update and I haven't had had any problems with ETF, MF or stock quotes. The "Currency Rates" updating is still not working for me.

It's very interesting that they have now removed the "Real-time quotes" selection from this latest version R50.9, which itself is still not listed in the Quicken for Windows release notes. The most recent Canadian release is R48.15. Strangely the most recent US version is R50.8. Someone had mentioned that Quicken is working to merge the US and CDN version so maybe R50.9 is it. We can only hope for the best. (https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes)

Like many programs now, Quicken itself doesn't provide users a direct option to stop automatic updates, but it can be done through Windows User Account Control.
    In the Settings search box type UAC, select "Change User Account Control" and then set it to the highest setting. (see attched screenshot) also - (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7930144/how-to-turn-off-auto-update)

This way you will be prompted before Quicken updates and there will be a notification in the One Step Update window that a new version is available for download and the option to "View the Update" to help understand what changes have been made. (see screenshot attachment).

It seems that Quicken is eager to show they are working hard to make great new updates, but then completely flummoxed when new problems keep happening.
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

I upgraded to R50.9 this evening. We'll see what this brings.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

R50.9 Canadian stock prices still not updating correctly. That said, the f/x rate is now updating!

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello, is there anyone from Quicken listening / monitoring this, an update would be greatly appreciated.

• BigSpender69
    BigSpender69 Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem for me too…

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Options

Hi All, Can you please share screenshots of your price history? (navigate to price history, then report a problem with a screenshot should work). Thanks!

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

@Quicken Janean Does the above screen shot not adequately illustrate the issue. The correct current price for the security is $58.74 CAD and Quicken reports it to be $46.01 CAD. What is not clear about this? Quicken is set to the Canadian exchange and the Yahoo report is also clearly for the Canadian exchange… yet, there is a $12 difference in the price.

• Paul Skayman
    Paul Skayman Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Janean,

Here's another screen shot for you. Not that the US equity is not even the same company! The spikes in the price history are ones that have got past me. With a number of equities this makes Net Worth totally unreliable as you cannot see on a regular basis what is happening to your investments!

Thanks,

Paul S.

This discussion has been closed.