Quicken Canada Stock Quotes Problem with Latest Release

Options
clamptown
clamptown Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in All Things Canadian (Windows)

I installed the latest update yesterday. Now some of my stocks (which trade on both US and Canadian exchanges) will only update to the US price. Can someone help or fix this? Thanks.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @clamptown,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Is this affecting all stocks that trade on both US and Canadian exchanges, or only some of them? Since you mentioned this started happening after the update, have you already tried reinstalling the update patch and restarting your computer? When you update your stock prices, is it being done along with the One Step Update, are are you updating them separately?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• clamptown
    clamptown Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I tried reinstalling the update patch and restarting my computer. This did not fix the problem. I am using the update button for updating stock prices. All my other stocks update fine. It is only the stocks that are listed on both US and Canadian exchanges that are not updating. Everything worked fine before the latest update, so the problem must be on your end. Thanks.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

To troubleshoot for file-related issues, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• clamptown
    clamptown Member ✭✭
    Options
    I tried both of these and I still have the problem.
  • S. Gordon Harwood
    Options

I am dealing with the same problem, stocks which are listed on both US and Canada exchanges, those stock prices when updated reflect the US stock symbol and not the Canadian prices. I have validated, super validated, and applied the canadian update patch and the problem still persists.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could someone please post a few ticker symbols of securities that are exhibiting this issue?

• clamptown
    clamptown Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sure: BCE, ENB and BMO are 3 examples. All were updating fine until the latest Quicken version was rolled out. Neither prices nor volumes are updating, which makes me think that the stocks are no longer being "found" in the quote provider's library.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

To clarify, are those ticker symbols you mentioned updating only the US price, or are they not updating at all?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• clamptown
    clamptown Member ✭✭
    Options
    So sometimes they update the price to be the US price, and other times they do not update at all.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Have you tried restoring a backup from before the issue started to see if the issue persists in the restored file?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• clamptown
    clamptown Member ✭✭
    Options
    I restored a backup and the problem is still there.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

I recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I just added TSE:BSE and it downloaded a price of $47.85; however, the actual current price is $64.08. There does seem to be a problem with the price data. It is interesting that the price downloaded seems to be the USD equivalent of the correct price.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello All,

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

Screenshots of the ticker symbols with incorrect values would also be helpful (with any personal information removed or blurred out). If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• 84tiger
    84tiger Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Arctic Hare said:
    > I just added TSE:BSE and it downloaded a price of $47.85; however, the actual current price is $64.08. There does seem to be a problem with the price data. It is interesting that the price downloaded seems to be the USD equivalent of the correct price.

I would add that some others such as TSE:PKI are not correct in either currency equivalent. When I update PKI it adds over $100 to the correct price.
  • Roberto8895
    Roberto8895 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have been having the same issues since the update; clearly the problem is with quicken and the update, not the users. I've also had some stocks showing the "Day" value up while the "Price Day Change" is down. Very disapointing.

• Roberto8895
    Roberto8895 Member ✭✭
    Options

Still having the same problems, has anyone figured this out? I spoke with support last week, the person I spoke with asked me to send my data file or a screen shot to support, I declined as I am uncomfortable doing that. Anyhow I did message support, crickets, not a word back.

• Roberto8895
    Roberto8895 Member ✭✭
    Options

Kind of like this 'support' message board. Very disappointing!

• Arctic Hare
    Options

@Roberto8895 Create a brand new Quicken file that you will use as a test/demo file. Recreate the incorrect security price quote problem in the test/demo file with minimal data. Use the Report A Problem feature with a Screenshot to report the problem to Quicken. Return to using your normal file.

• Roberto8895
    Roberto8895 Member ✭✭
    Options

Okay, thanks, I'll give that a try.

• Roberto8895
    Roberto8895 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare Thanks for your suggestion, I created a new file and entered some transactions for some of the stocks I've been having trouble with. Everything was working fine in the new file, all correct price data.

When I am using my file I am still having trouble with incorrect prices for multiple shares, shares that trade on Canadian exchanges, US exchanges and both.

I have validated and repaired the file (and super validated), as well as repaired the share price data multiple times. Sometimes it works (correct prices appear) until I update quotes, and then I'm back where I started with wrong share prices.

Do any of these issues point in one direction?

I hold or follow over 200 positions; I sure hope I won't have to rebuild a new file from scratch.

Thanks

• Arctic Hare
    Options

@Roberto8895 I don't have "the answer" for you, but here are a few thoughts on the matter:

• The fact that Validate and SuperValidate did not find any errors doesn't provide much insight. The two validation routines address a finite set of corruption issues. It is possible to have file corruption that is not detected by either validation method. That being said, this does not smell like a file corruption issue.
    • Several people have reported the issue and I was readily able to reproduce the problem. This further supports the theory that it is not file corruption. I noted above that I added BCE and it downloaded the incorrect price, off by cad:usd F/x rate and the same continues to be true today Quicken reports the price as $47.60, but the correct price is $64.44. The current FX rate is .74 and the ratio of $47.60 to $64.44 is also .74. That is not coincidence. See attached PDF. This further supports that file corruption is not a likely cause - the fact that the amount is wrong precisely by the F/X rate suggests the opposite of random factor.
    • What does the fact that the issue is not present in the test file, but is present in your working file? While it is easy to jump to the conclusion that your main file is corrupted, I think that is unlikely the cause. I have seen cases where a problem is not reproduced in a test file until some seemingly unrelated operation is performed on the test file. For example, there is a recent/current problem with attaching file attachments to transactions and, in order to replicate this in a test file, I had to run One Step Update at least once in the test file. That is, if I created a brand new test file and started testing attachments without running OSU, everything worked fine, but as soon as I ran just one OSU, thinks went wonky and stayed wonky. So, how does that pertain to the security price situation? The point is that it is entirely possible that the reason the test file works OK and your working file has problems is because something is present in your working file or you've performed some operation in your working file that is not true/present of the test file. Finding that trigger could be difficult.
    • If my theories above are correct, the really bad news is that you could invest the huge number of hours required to recreate your working file only to find that the problem comes back.
    • One thing that has fixed some issues where the validation routines fail to fix a problem is to do a file copy (File—>Create a copy or backup—>create a copy or template). I suggest you give that a try, but my hunch is that won't fix this issue.
    • It is problems/situations like this where being a Quicken user is extremely frustrating. There is obviously a problem, but no one seems to be listening and it is not clear how to get attention paid to an issue that the user can't resolve.
    • I would ask you if you are saving your file to OneDrive or a network share or using it on more than one computer as these practices can cause various issues, but… I'm following best practices with my Q file saved to an internal hard drive with no synchronization and I can reproduce the wrong security price issue, so I won't steer you down that path.
    • I don't know what to suggest other than to advise that you lean in Quicken support. Again, I wouldn't invest time in recreating your data file - I'd happily wager that you'd end up reproducing the same issue as a reward for all your effort.
    • In answer to your question - does all of this point in one direction - I think the answer is a fully qualified "yes"… Quicken support needs to tackle this one.

• Roberto8895
    Roberto8895 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Arctic Hare . Thank you for your thorough response. Everything you say sounds right to me; I'll lean on support again.
  • clamptown
    clamptown Member ✭✭
    Options
    Just FYI, I rolled my Quicken version back one release, and the problem has gone away. It has been almost a month since I first reported this and I am still waiting for Quicken to fix this.
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

In my experience, it has taken Quicken years to fix some significant issues with the Canadian version. Thanks for posting that rolling back a version does fix the issue.

• Roberto8895
    Roberto8895 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @clamptown Thanks for this suggestion. Silly question,.. how does one do this? roll quicken version back one release.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Roberto8895,

You can use this link to download and install previous versions of Quicken.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, this totally sucks! I too have the problem and note:

1. I rolled back to the November 2022 release (V45.18) and the problem continues to exist.

2. I tried entering the "Canadian specific stock symbol" (i.e., TSE:TD for Toronto Dominion bank) and note that now:

a) The stock has a "clock icon" beside its price
    b) No updates, Canadian or otherwise download. The stock price is "frozen" at the last downloaded or manually entered price, whichever is the latest!

The only positives -- and they are not that positive -- are a) I am not alone with this issue and b) I found this thread so that I did not spend added hours trying to fix the problem!

What version do I need to roll back to solve this problem?
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

I encourage you to (i) use the built-in Report-A-Problem feature to report this issue to Quicken Support; and (ii) contact Quicken Phone Support about the issue. The more people who report the problem, the more attention it will get.

I have not experimented with rolling back versions to workaround this issue, so I am unable to comment on which version does not exhibit this issue. I can only confirm that I can readily replicate the issue in the current version.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can someone from Quicken please jump in to let me know what Version I need to rollback to get accurate / correct stick quotes?

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.