USAA Reauthorize Time Out Error

JErtl
JErtl Member

I have tried several times to Reauthorize and Setup my USAA Savings account. I have successfully done this with other accounts. All steps are normal until after I select Allow from the USAA web page, then I receive a message in Quicken that "Sorry, the sign in failed due to time out or connection error." With every attempt I also receive and email from USAA that Quicken is now connected to my USAA Account.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @JErtl,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. There are a few things that can trigger that error message. When you click sign in and it redirects to USAA's website, are you copy/pasting the URL from the webpage that pops up into a different browser? Is there anything that is making it take a long time to authenticate with USAA (such as needing multiple attempts for 2 factor authentication or getting errors saying your login credentials were incorrect)? Are you using a VPN? Do you have a pop up blocker, antivirus, or firewall that may be interfering with communication? Have you tried temporarily setting a different browser as your default and seeing if you're able to go through the whole process successfully in that alternate browser?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mouseskowitz
    mouseskowitz Member

I've been having the same issue for weeks or months now, I've lost track. The timeout happens on the Quicken side. I have not had an issue with setting it up with any other bank. It even happens when I click reauthorize in Quicken while already signed into USAA and can click through everything in a few seconds. Who's end are things broken on and how do we fix this?

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @mouseskowitz,

Thank you for joining this thread to share that you are also experiencing this issue.

Would you mind answering the questions in @Quicken Kristina's previous post so that we may further assist you?

We look forward to hearing your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• JErtl
    JErtl Member

HI, thanks for the assistance.

Are you copy/pasting the URL from the webpage that pops up into a different browser? No

Is there anything that is making it take a long time to authenticate with USAA (such as needing multiple attempts for 2 factor authentication or getting errors saying your login credentials were incorrect)? No

Are you using a VPN? No

Do you have a pop up blocker, antivirus, or firewall that may be interfering with communication? I do nave these, but everything seems normal on the USAA webpage side. I even get the following message on the USAA webpage. "Your accounts have been authorized successfully! You will now be redirected back to Quicken. If you are not redirected in a few seconds, you can close this window and return to Quicken." This is when on the Quicken window I get the error.

Have you tried temporarily setting a different browser as your default and seeing if you're able to go through the whole process successfully in that alternate browser? Yes, MS Edge. Same problem.

Now that I have removed Online Services to try to setup from scratch I get a new error message. "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.) It then asks if I want to "Try again now" or "I'll enter my transactions manually". When I try again it get the time out error again.

• Slick8791
    Slick8791 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    > @JErtl said:
    > >
    > Now that I have removed Online Services to try to setup from scratch I get a new error message. "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.) It then asks if I want to "Try again now" or "I'll enter my transactions manually". When I try again it get the time out error again.

I'm having the same problem only with a different institution. Now I'm stuck will all of my Wells Fargo accounts basically "off-line" now in Quicken:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7935032/cc-601-add-account-wells-fargo-sorry-we-encountered-an-error-its-not-your-fault/p1?new=1
  • Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply @JErtl,

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend temporarily pausing your pop up blocker, antivirus, and firewall while going through the authorization process with USAA. That way, if any of them are interfering with the communication between USAA and Quicken, you should be able to successfully relink the account. Since you said the account is currently disconnected, please backup your file, then use Tools>Add Account to authorize and link the account.

Using the add account process ensures Quicken is pulling the most current financial institution information. You will still be able to link the account rather than adding as new. Provided that you are not roadblocked by the timeout error, the Add/Link screen will give you the opportunity to link the account to the appropriate nickname in Quicken (see sample image below).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• ZLR
    ZLR Member

I am having the same issue as JErti with one of my USAA accounts. I'm super frustrated because the last time I wasn't able to connect it took two months for an upgrade to be launched to fix the problem for USAA accounts. This time the problem was I got an error message that I needed reauthorize Quicken access to USAA. I made the mistake of deactivating one of my accounts to try and reactivate it and it didn't work. I also tried adding the account per your latest direction and got the same error message.

Here are my responses to the questions:

Are you copy/pasting the URL from the webpage that pops up into a different browser? No

Is there anything that is making it take a long time to authenticate with USAA (such as needing multiple attempts for 2 factor authentication or getting errors saying your login credentials were incorrect)? No

Are you using a VPN? No

Do you have a pop up blocker, antivirus, or firewall that may be interfering with communication? I disabled pop up and my firewall.

Have you tried temporarily setting a different browser as your default and seeing if you're able to go through the whole process successfully in that alternate browser? Tried Edge - same issue.

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @ZLR,

Thank you for joining the discussion. When did this issue first start? Is this affecting all of your USAA accounts or just the one that you deactivated? Just to verify, you are getting the same issue where you successfully complete authorizing with USAA, it shows the screen saying success, but when you close that window to go back to Quicken, it shows that it timed out?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• DaveTrev
    DaveTrev Member

Help….I try to Reauthorize, and i never get redirected to a USAA page to authenticate….just the Quicken 'Use the bank hosted sign in form in your browser window to authorize downloads' and the circle spins and spins. I have read thru support posts and have disapbed my pop up blocker, AV, and change default browser from Edge to Chrome, cleared cookies, and continue to get the same result. What do i try next?

This discussion has been closed.