First Tech OL-301-A/OFX 2000 since 11 May 2023 [Edited]

Options
Bill Pa
Bill Pa Member ✭✭
Updates failing from First Tech since 11 May 2023...

My wife and I have separate logons... and they both work logging in on the website... so there is no "wrong login" or "wrong password".

Both of our accounts get OL-301-A when we try to do the update.

I emailed and got a reply from first tech... who said they had no known outage and to "contact quicken".

When I tried to reset one of my accounts... it said "Account Reset FAILED","Quicken could not complete the account reset".

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Bill Pa,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, if you haven't already, I suggest you try to refresh financial institution branding and profile by following the instructions provided below.

1. In Quicken, select the Tools menu, then choose Online Center.
    2. Click the Financial Institution dropdown arrow and select the financial institution.
    3. Press CTRL+Shift while selecting Contact Info.
    4. Select one of the accounts associated with the bank from the dropdown list
    5. Select Financial Institution Branding and Profile from the list and click Refresh.
    6. Click OK and go online by clicking the Update/Send button.
    7. Attempt your online session again.

Please note that if the financial institution does in fact have a known outage that the error may not be resolved until the outage is resolved on their end first.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• etango101
    etango101 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same problem with First Tech. It started yesterday, 5/11.

I tried to follow the instructions about but when I select the financial institution (First Tech), I don't see any option for "Financial Institution Branding and Profile".

• Headcase
    Headcase Member
    Options

I have been having the same issue. I completed Anja's procedure and received the same error again with the message, "Your financial institution has rejected your request".

• SteveBu
    SteveBu Member ✭✭
    Options

Ditto.

• dsatl
    dsatl Member
    Options

I have the same problem and the fix above doesn't work. It is not an outage or incorrect password. I tried it again and clicked all the other options and that didn't work either. I am using a current version of quicken and have been downloading transactions from this account for over 10 years. Can someone suggest other options for a fix?

Thanks!

• Bill Pa
    Bill Pa Member ✭✭
    Options
    I messaged first tech again... telling them there are more and more of us seeing the same problem. Suggest that other people do the same.

They need to get together with "quicken" and come up with an answer.

On the first tech website... mouse over "Dashboard" and use the "Message Center" pulldown.
  • PHorton
    PHorton Member
    Options

Add me to the list. Get same error when trying to log on. Able to log on fine to both web and app.

• pippy
    pippy Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Same issue for me. I looked in the OFX log file and the First Tech OFX server is returning error 2000, which is a generic server error. Per OFX documentation, the financial institution is supposed to return more specific information about the error in the message field but I didn't see any in the log file.

To look at your OFX log file, go the Help, Customer Support, Log Files. Select OFX Log from the list. Scroll all the way to the end and start scrolling up. You will see Quicken's request to Log On to the First Tech OFX server, which starts with something like this, followed by your login credentials

<!-- ***** SEND to https://ofx.firsttechfed.com at 18:48:39 on 20230512 ***** -->

Below that in the log file you will see a response from the First Tech OFX server like this, showing STATUS CODE 2000

<!-- ***** RECV from https://ofx.firsttechfed.com at 18:48:44 on 20230512 ***** -->

<!--
    OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:1A4F3D32-7E64-1000-8EF5-9661350E0026
    NEWFILEUID:82237070-7E64-1000-8A45-970BFCDC0026

-->
    <OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>2000<SEVERITY>ERROR</STATUS><DTSERVER>20230512184843.934[-7:PDT]<LANGUAGE>ENG<FI><ORG>First Tech Federal Credit Union<FID>3169</FI></SONRS></SIGNONMSGSRSV1><BANKMSGSRSV1><INTRASYNCRS><TOKEN>...

I looked further back at my OFX Log on 5/10/2023 and the exact same Quicken OFX request to the First Tech OFX Server returned STATUS CODE 0 which indicates no error and the rest of the handshake protocol and data retrieval worked correctly.

Seems clear there is an issue on the First Tech side, which should be reproducible if they just try to initiate a Direct Connect session from Quicken to First Tech. From my experience, First Tech technical support is not knowledgeable on these topics and the OFX server is outsourced from a third party. Response times have not been particularly quick. I don't have time personally to walk them through the situation right now but you are free to use my instructions and data above when talking to First Tech. There is no personal information contained there.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. It would also aid the investigation to include a sanitized file when submitting the problem report. A sanitized file is a data file that removes personally identifiable information so you can comfortably share this file with the Quicken team.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• SteveBu
    SteveBu Member ✭✭
    Options

Update: 5/13/23

I was able to resolve my connection issues with First Tech Fed by resetting the connection type to Express Web Connect.

Steps:

1. Go to Account List
    2. Click on the Edit button next to an account hosted as First Tech Fed.
    3. Select the Online Services tab.
    4. Click change connection method button (I can no longer see the name of the button so hopefully this is close)
    5. Change from Direct connection to Express Web Connect
    6. Reenter your username and password
    7. Click through the dialogs.

I have verified the Direct Connection is the problem. When I try to do "Improve Connection" after following these steps, I get the original error.

Good luck!

• Jaimie Sears
    Jaimie Sears Member
    Options

I discovered the same issue today when I logged in, thankfully found this thread before digging in too deeply!

The solution posted today by @SteveBu worked for me as well. Changed connection type to Express Web Connect and re-entered my login info for First Tech's online banking.

• Bill Pa
    Bill Pa Member ✭✭
    Options
    It looks like at some point last week, First Tech disabled "direct connect".

I don't remember seeing any prior notofication about this.

I got the following reply from them today:

-----
    First Tech Federal Credit Union
    5/13/2023, 9:45:53 AM
    Hello William,

We currently do not support a direct connect connection. Please try to deactivate and reactivate downloads by going to Quicken>Tools>Account list>click edit next to your First Tech account>click on the online services tab>then click deactivate.

Do these steps with all your First Tech accounts. To re-link your accounts follow the steps above and instead of clicking deactivate click reactivate.

If you need additional assistance, we have live chat available Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM PST. You will see a "Questions?" chat icon at the bottom right of the browser. Click "Chat" to be directed to a live representative.

Sincerely,

David
    eSupport Associate
    -----
  • Bill Pa
    Bill Pa Member ✭✭
    Options
    Switching to express web connect worked just fine for me as well.

I just wish First Tech had notified us somehow.
  • mistonthemoor
    mistonthemoor Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue and the suggested "fix" did not work. OL-301-A Your financial institution has rejected your request.

• Daruin
    Daruin Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried SteveBu's solution and it ended up messing up my file. The opening balances on all accounts go modified to be incorrect and the new transactions that got categorized and transfers to the same account instead of from other accounts. Make sure you backup or copy your file before switching (I got lazy this time and got bitten).

• dsatl
    dsatl Member
    Options

Thanks Everyone, Mystery solved!

• jsauser11
    jsauser11 Member ✭✭
    Options
    First Tech states that they do still support Direct Connect, see text of message sent to me when I alerted them to the issue:

"
    First Tech Federal Credit Union
    5/16/2023, 1:34:59 PM
    Hello Jeff,

I'm delighted you were able to change the connection and that it resolved the difficulty you were having. Please let me assist you with your enquiry.

First Tech continues to support Quicken Direct Connect. I regret for any confusion this may have given you.

If you need additional assistance, we have live chat available Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. PST. You will see a "Questions?" chat icon at the bottom right of the browser. Click "Chat" to be directed to a live representative.

Sincerely,

Nari
    eSupport Associate"

Don't know if I am ready to switch back to Direct Connect until we have assurance that the problem has been solved.
  • Bill Pa
    Bill Pa Member ✭✭
    Options
    The only "side effect" I had from switching from "direct connect" to "express web" was that I got one transaction that was duplicated. As long as it continues to work, I probably won't change it.

If I had "done nothing"... and just waited... I'm not sure if it would have just "started up" working again or if it would have required some level of fiddling (de-activating - re-doing the "branding" thing - or whatever ???:) to get it to work again.

I mostly mentioned this in case anyone else has done the "switch" - they might want to make sure nothing got duplicated.
  • pippy
    pippy Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I tried the Express Web connect suggestion and there was good news and bad news. The good news was First Tech started working again (albeit with some dupe transactions I had to remove). The bad news is that it somehow screwed up all my other Express Web connections so I got no transactions downloaded, even though they exist when I logged in to the respective vendor web sites. Now I am reverting back to my 5/11/2023 data and re-updating. Everything worked flawlessly, except First Tech so I am going to live with the problem for a bit longer waiting for a better solution, since FTCU says they still support Direct Connect. BTW, I have dealt with Quicken and FTCU issues before. FTCU outsources their OFX connection software to a third party and their responsiveness has been spotty at best. I looked in the Quicken Log file and Quicken is getting an OFX error 2000 returned from the FTCU OFX server when it tries to initiate an connection. Per OFX documentation that is a generic server side error and the vendor is supposed to return a text description of the error, but FTCU does not return anything in the OFX stream. By the way, the OFX request Quicken sent on 5/11, 5/12, 5/15 and today was exactly the same as the one which succeeded on 5/10 and 5/9, which worked and generated no error, so it would seem something changed on the FTCU side. This should be easy to reproduce on the FTCU side so we will see what happens.
  • type18
    type18 Member
    Options

I have the OL-301-A error updating First Tech accounts also.

• rxyquicka
    rxyquicka Member ✭✭
    Options
    Wednesday 2023/05/17 at 08:06 PDT

I have been experiencing the OL-301-A error when updating my First Tech accounts for about a week.

Before attempting the suggested fixes from @SteveBu and @Bill Pa, I backed up my Quicken file as recommended by @Daruin. SteveBu's fix involves changing from Direct connection to Express Web Connect, while Bill Pa's fix from First Tech involves deactivating and reactivating downloads by going to Quicken>Tools>Account list>clicking edit next to your First Tech account>clicking on the online services tab>then clicking deactivate.... However, I still encountered problems when downloading transactions, including at least eleven duplicate transactions and an incorrect "Ending Balance" in my checking account.

After restoring my backup, I tried another solution by downloading the transaction .QFX file from the First Tech website and importing it into Quicken. Unfortunately, this did not work for me as Quicken created a second checking account and imported the file into that account instead of my existing checking account.

This issue has been frustrating and time-consuming for me.

• r-e-l
    r-e-l Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Add me to the list.

Would love Quicken to address this and provide a resolution … this is why its a subscription service.

And please …. Quicken folks … you see this is not a one off person or incident and its a system issue. Save folks from the usual troubleshooting procedures ….. should we take the power off the PC and count to 30 as well and reboot - you know, just in case… ?

• PeterCJ
    PeterCJ Member
    Options

5/10 was my last successful Direct Connect to First Tech. On 5/17, I got the error, and found this post; I tried to switch to Express Web Connect then, but it mapped my online accounts to the wrong Quicken accounts, and wouldn't let me choose the right ones, so I had to stop the process and restore from backup (and ran out of time to do anything else that day). On 5/20, I deactivated "online service" for all of my various First Tech accounts, exited Quicken and restarted. From there, I set up the connection again — it automatically picked Express Web Connect, and never presented an option for anything else — and the mapping worked right this time.

Given that it was the only option when I set up my connections today, it really looks like First Tech prefers Express Web Connect, despite the message that @jsauser11 quoted from Nari.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to get updates when available and to know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

Thank you!

(Ticket # 10245468/CTP-6797)

Quicken Kristina

• amram
    amram Member
    Options

Ditto here. Cannot direct connect since May 11. Called First Tech, they say call Quicken. Called Quicken, they said call First Tech. Typical (grrrrrr). Hey - Quicken…here's First Technology's phone number - please call them and get this fixed!!!!!!! 855.855.8805

• ziamia914
    ziamia914 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Since May 11 I have been in the same mess as reported by members above. None of the usual fixes I have used, and well described by others, have worked (with resulting account duplication, etc.) and I can no longer connect to First Tech with my password when using Quicken (Windows 10). They have no answers for me and it seems to be taking a long time to resolve.
  • Greg117
    Greg117 Member ✭✭
    Options

I sent some logs to first tech and they stated "We're aware of the issue and our IT team is actively working on the issue. No current ETA on a resolution as of today." So feel free to reach out to them, but they definitely know it's on their end

• Greg117
    Greg117 Member ✭✭
    Options

Direct Connect (OFX) has started working again for me as of about 8 hours ago.

• r-e-l
    r-e-l Member ✭✭✭
    Options

is the issue back again? failing since 6/12…

This discussion has been closed.