"Quicken Windows is not responding"

TKnut
TKnut Member

I have used Quicken Home, Business, & Rental for many years. I currently have a subscription version and run it with Windows 10 & Parallels for Mac. All software is up to date.

The last couple of weeks I've had to work at another location without access to WiFi. I didn't anticipate any problems as i do not use the cloud interface and do not backup my files to the cloud (I use an external HD back up). Also I have over the years had to work at other locations and never had any issues.

I have been working remotely, off and on, for the last 6 weeks. Recently (since 5/9 or 5/11) I get "Quicken Windows is not responding". Prior to that Quicken was slow and 'glitchy/jumpy' but it worked. Once I return to my home office i have no problem launching and working with it just as before.

My mobile & web preferences 'synch' has always be deactivated/turned off and i just checked that it still is.

I can't find any help for this. Any ideas would be sincerely appreciated.

Best regards

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @TKnut,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Please remember to redact any personal information as needed.

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

What happens if you turn off your network adapters? I know how to do it in Windows, but your Win/Mac Parallels setup is not in my knowledge set.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• TKnut
    TKnut Member

Quicken Jasmine-

Thanks for your response.

I only have the issue when I am at another location. I will try to do that tomorrow - however I had planned to leave Quicken open in the hopes that it was just an issue opening the software when i"m not at my home office. Will see what tomorrow turns up.

• TKnut
    TKnut Member

Splasher -

thank you for the response.

parallels allows you to partition the hard drive on your mac and set up windows & run windows applications. As Quicken doesn't have a product that integrates home and business accounting for Mac and i got tired of buying a new PC every 3 or 4 years that's been my only option. But that's probably TMI.

In any event I am running a full version of windows 10 that looks and acts as if it's running on a PC. I did try disconnecting the network adapter today after I got the first "quicken windows not responding" message. That didn't work on my subsequent attempts to launch Quicken.

Appreciate the help.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried turning off the network adapters, both Ethernet and WiFi, BEFORE starting Quicken?

I hope you have allocated enough RAM for Parallels so that both Windows and Quicken have enough memory to work in without having to perform a lot of time-consuming swapping/paging to disk. A minimum of 8GB would be my recommendation. This might help reduce other non-network related performance issues in Quicken.

This discussion has been closed.