Quicken 2007 on Monterey MAC OS

Options
NevNev
NevNev Member

I have Quicken 2007 for Mac (16.1.0) running on Mojave 10.14.6 If I upgrade my OS to Monterey can I run my existing Quicken 2007 with no issues?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

No! Quicken 2007 is a very old 32-bit application. Starting with macOS Catalina, Apple eliminated the ability to run 32-bit applications. Mojave is the last version of macOS which can run Quicken 2007.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

VERY INCOMPLETE!

Though it is true that you cannot run QM2007 natively in Monterey, you CAN run it in a virtual machine, as long as you have an Intel-based Mac. Of course, this is not for everyone, as it may be a little technical for some to handle, BUT it is doable, and may not be as difficult as it seems on the surface. See the following discussion thread on the matter:

Running QM2007 in a Virtual Machine (VM)

TIP: after getting it installed, copy your QM2007 preferences over into the same location in your Virtual Machine. This will prevent any issues about "registering" your copy of QM2007 and will preserve many of your settings (details in the discussion thread).

A top quality VM that you can get and use for FREE, so you can experiment without penalty or cost, is VMWare Fusion. It is free for personal use and works on Catalina or newer (again, details in the discussion thread).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the .qdfm extension was added to the default filename much later to standardize all filenames with extensions. But Mac OS was developed without the need for this, so files created prior to this remain without file extensions. In fact. Mac OS STILL does not always need file extensions. This is a convention from the Windows OS that was adopted for compatibility reasons and is needed when file sharing across different platforms.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options

No! Quicken 2007 is a very old 32-bit application. Starting with macOS Catalina, Apple eliminated the ability to run 32-bit applications. Mojave is the last version of macOS which can run Quicken 2007.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

VERY INCOMPLETE!

Though it is true that you cannot run QM2007 natively in Monterey, you CAN run it in a virtual machine, as long as you have an Intel-based Mac. Of course, this is not for everyone, as it may be a little technical for some to handle, BUT it is doable, and may not be as difficult as it seems on the surface. See the following discussion thread on the matter:

Running QM2007 in a Virtual Machine (VM)

TIP: after getting it installed, copy your QM2007 preferences over into the same location in your Virtual Machine. This will prevent any issues about "registering" your copy of QM2007 and will preserve many of your settings (details in the discussion thread).

A top quality VM that you can get and use for FREE, so you can experiment without penalty or cost, is VMWare Fusion. It is free for personal use and works on Catalina or newer (again, details in the discussion thread).

• NevNev
    NevNev Member
    Options

So what is the best and proper way to go from Quicken 2007(Mac version) to run on Monterey? I don't need the 'expert' Quicken version, but a fairly basic version of Quicken that I can import Quicken 2007 and have it all be compatible from then on in Monterey. I'm assuming I would just need the cheapest subscription version.

Thank you.

• jacobs
    Options

There is Quicken Starter and Quicken Deluxe. Starter is slightly less expensive, but it has a number of downsides. With Quicken Deluxe, if you decide rot stop paying for the subscription you can continue to use the program manually; Quicken steals the right ~20% of your screen for a persistent reminder to renew, but you can at least work with it. With Starter, if your subscription lapses, your file immediately becomes read-only. Starter also can't do loan accounts, investment accounts, annual budgets. For the nominal difference in cost (under $20), I recommend Deluxe for most people, unless you're 100% sure Starter is all you need.

When you update to Monterey and install Quicken subscription, you'll simply launch it and point it to your Quicken 2007 data file for conversion. You'll have a bit of a learning curve because modern Quicken Mac looks different and does some things differently, but keep and open mind and don't fight it because it's not the same as what you've been used to.

• NevNev
    NevNev Member
    Options

So I just bought the Quicken Deluxe subscription for my Mac with Monterey. I went through all the instructions on how to convert my Quicken 2007 accounts into the new Quicken but I just get an error code "Could not import the file. The resource fork is missing."

I have been using Quicken 2007 for many years. Any idea how to convert these files? The files have the Quicken icon just like the pic on the instructions. Called the information line and the 'tech' went through the obvious stuff and then we were disconnected after waiting for 15 minutes to first talk to someone and then him talking and putting me on hold for for another 30 minutes….

• jacobs
    Options

Does your Quicken 2007 file end with the .qdfm extension? If not, add that and try again. (I know, that sounds crazy, but sometimes that's all it needs.)

Also, are you using two different Macs, one with Mojave and one with Monterey? If so, how did you move your Quicken 2007 data file to the newer Mac? If you didn't do this previously, try this: on the old Mac, select the Quicken data file in the Finder and do File > Compress. This makes a .zip file. Move the .zip file to the new Mac, then double-click to un-zip it. Then try converting to Quicken Mac again.

One more thing: are you trying to do File > Import, or are you doing File > New? The latter is what you want to be doing.

• NevNev
    NevNev Member
    Options

Thanks for the response! It is on the same computer. I have the computer disk cloned with CCC from 2 days ago so I can go back to Mojave if i have to. I upgraded from Mojave to Monterey this morning on the same Mac. I tried zipping the file and then dragging the zipped back up file to my desktop. Unzipped it and it is exactly the same. I don't remember my back up files ever having a .qdfm That would be great if that worked by just adding it. Feel unlucky though. I've tried importing via NEW and also Import. Neither worked.

Thanks for any thoughts. I've got almost 30 years of stuff in Quicken. Can't imagine a work around that…

• jacobs
    Options

I've tried importing via NEW and also Import. Neither worked.

This is with your live (not backup) Quicken 2007 data file, with a .qdfm extension on the filename?

• NevNev
    NevNev Member
    Options

I went back to one of the several cloned drives I have, made that the boot drive and then opened up Quick 2007 on that. I then Backed Up my quicken account and it finally added the .qdfm file to that file. I then rebooted in the Monterey drive, opened up Quicken Deluxe, and it actually imported the Quicken 2007 file. So all is good! Whew…. Thanks for all your help with this.

• jacobs
    Options

Ah, great to hear that it worked for you this time! I know it seems odd that adding .qdfm resolves the problem, but apparently the cloud converter program is looking for that and reports an error if it is not present.

Best wishes getting settled in and working your way up the learning curve of modern Quicken Mac. 😀 Try not to be frustrated that some things are different; it's quite an adjustment for all of us who came from decades of using the older user interface and program. I didn't really like the new program until I used it for awhile and re-programmed my hand-eye-brain muscle memory; then I grew to like it better than its predecessor in most (but not yet all) ways. 😉

• NevNev
    NevNev Member
    Options

It was strange that I had NO back up files that had the .qdfm extension. I've been using Quicken since 1994! It used to back up automatically and I also backed up the Back Up folder dragging it to an external drive. Oh well, all good!

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the .qdfm extension was added to the default filename much later to standardize all filenames with extensions. But Mac OS was developed without the need for this, so files created prior to this remain without file extensions. In fact. Mac OS STILL does not always need file extensions. This is a convention from the Windows OS that was adopted for compatibility reasons and is needed when file sharing across different platforms.

This discussion has been closed.