HELP - Quicken keeps prompting me for Quicken ID and password but doesn't work

Today I opened Quicken as normal and entered my usual password, and it appears to work, but then blanks out the screen and prompts me for my quicken username and password. When I enter this, it get a screen saying I need an activation code and I am stuck! Quicken is now useless and of course tech support is closed! I rebooted and no luck. Are there any fixes/workarounds for this? I found this article but it did not work:

https://www.quicken.com/support/why-am-i-being-asked-sign-my-quicken-id-repeatedly-or-why-am-i-being-asked-activation-code

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @rrlcommish1968,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide a screenshot of the window prompting you for an activation code? Please be sure to provide a screenshot of the full screen.

If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• dlpjm
    dlpjm Member ✭✭✭
    Same for me, spent over 2 hours with Quicken Support, deleted and downloaded program, tried mondo update. Tried backups, all lead to seeing normal home screen for fraction of second before going to screen shot 1, enter correct info and get screen 2. Tried other ways to sign in and get check internet, my internet is good, can get everywhere but Quicken. Something is not allowing data files to show connected to my ID or connect to quicken server, tried signing in with another ID and used my normal ID, same result. Have windows 11 home. Tried on a windows 10 machine with same results when using established data files except I could see the file, just couldn't do one step or individual account updates. Didn't try importing from banks or other accounts directly. For me this all started Monday. When this first occurred but not since got message that my subscription was expired. It is not.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are getting "Oops, something went wrong" or "Check Internet Connection" …
    • To make sure that Quicken is allowed to update and save its configuration files please check if Windows
    Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If it is, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in

• Have you recently enabled a VPN?
    If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off, reboot with VPN disabled and see if that helps.
    • Is there a corporate or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    • Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the Internet?
    Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the program to work.
    For example, in McAfee Firewall, one user states "By editing the Quicken Firewall entry Selecting Incoming and Outgoing, and changing it from "Default" to "Open to all devices" it now works without having to turn off the entire firewall!"
    If necessary, contact the Antivirus / Firewall vendor's Support Center.
    • In older Windows systems go to Windows Control Panel and select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down the list to "Use TLS x.x" and click to put a checkmark on all available TLS choices.
    Turn off "Use SSL 3.0"
    Click Apply. Reboot.
    • If all else fails: Try rebooting your network router. When done reboot your PC
    • Please let us know which of the above solved your problem.

• dlpjm
    dlpjm Member ✭✭✭
    @UKR, very informative response. I am using windows defender. Controlled folder access is not on, didn't mention in my previous post but I turned off VPN, even removed VPN program for awhile, and temporarily turned of firewall with same results. Every thing worked for years don't know what has changed. Been a user of Quicken for a long long time and for the last several years there have been more and more issues.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

@dlpjm thank you for providing those screenshots.

On the first screenshot you provided, at the very bottom of the sign in screen, please click on the option to Create a new ID for your data file or Sign in with a different Quicken ID (underneath "Having problems with your Quicken ID?").

You should then be prompted to type "Yes" and click Sign Out.

After that, you should be taken back to the sign-in screen again —except the bottom "Having problems..." section should now no longer show— and attempt to sign in again.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• dlpjm
    dlpjm Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja

I tried this before, at first you get what you see in screen #1, success, but it just sits there. I let it sit there for an extended time and watched it on task manager. See screen #2. Quicken is basically the only thing using the processor but nothing is happening and when you try to exit Quicken you get Quicken is not responding and I close program that way.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • whodiini
    whodiini Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭✭✭

Had the same problem. Wait a day and try it again. My issue went away after a day. Sometimes there is a problem on the quicken server end - they never mention that there was a problem and it was fixed, but it tends to work after a day or 2.

• dlpjm
    dlpjm Member ✭✭✭

@UKR very informative link. After trying all week to get data to work I tried some other things. Kept checking for virus's, none found. Also for Malware, none found. Tried numerous settings checks for processes and firewall settings checks. With crossing my fingers, I did a system restore to 2 weeks ago. Didn't change much but I could at least now see the data but with no contact Quicken server, validated file a couple more times, showed no big problems but still wouldn't update. Then did something that was already tried before and restored from a back up copy. This time it worked!!!!!! Was very happy that I only had to re enter over a months worth of data. Will see if it stays stable over next couple of days. Thanks for the help to all that responded.

This discussion has been closed.