Citizens Bank - Quicken QFX Web Connect not working properly (QWIN)

Options
joeOH
joeOH Member

Exporting bank transaction data using Quicken Web Connect worked perfectly till the change.

Now when Export Quicken Web Connect is selected a .QIF file is created. Executing this file seriously corrupts my Quicken. Last time I tried it posted over 800 transactions from over 2 years. The account register shows the correct ending balance, but all new transactions are not displaying at Also, Also online balance is not showing. Glad I backed up my Quicken file before I done this. Tried to attach a copy of the file but not supported.

Comments

• erwiest
    erwiest Member ✭✭
    Options

FWIW, a reset inside QW (subscription version) seems to have connected my Citizens deposit accounts (finally!) to Quicken without having to download from Citizensbankonline.com . . .

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @joeOH,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

Based on the issue you described, you will need to contact the financial institution directly to inform them that they are providing the wrong file format (the correct format is QFX) as the exported file format is generated and provided by the financial institution directly. Therefore, Quicken does not have the ability to correct this.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Wolverine
    Wolverine Member
    Options

I am having almost the same issue as joeOH. Since Citizens changed their website when I download the qif file my register does not show new transactions. I will contact Citizens Monday and try to get a qfx file.

• pumford
    pumford Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Citizens Bank completely revamped their online banking website within the past few days, and one of the many changes affects how transactions are downloaded for use in Quicken. Before the change, there were options allowing you to choose Quicken WebConnect file format, which generated a QFX-format file. This dropped all the download transactions into Quicken's Downloaded Transactions windows, to be reviewed and accepted into the register.

After the change, selecting the same Quicken WebConnect file format instead generates a QIF file. The QIF file format has to be manually matched to an account every time to be imported, and it drops the transactions directly into the register; i.e., they do not appear in the Downloaded Transactions window, to be automatically matched with previously entered transactions. QIF files are therefore completely unsuitable for using Quicken as it's meant to be used, or as I can use it with every other financial institution.

I called Citizens Bank online customer support this morning 6/26, and the rep I spoke with checked their internal issue resolution system, and said that the issue was raised with their tech team on Friday 6/23, so they're aware of the issue. No ETA for a fix yet.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what is the exact & complete bank name you have for Citizens in your Quicken …. there are tons named that way -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• joeOH
    joeOH Member
    Options

Re: Wolverine Did you have any success getting Citizens to provide QFX file?

• W.N.M
    W.N.M Member ✭✭
    Options

I did what erwiest did; I used online services in Account Details to set up automatic download. As far as I can tell, there is no extra charge for this.

• Largenoggin69
    Largenoggin69 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I am having the same issues since the new online platform. The bank is Citizens Bank, N.A. - major bank primarily in Northeast and Central Atlantic Region of US. [Removed - Disruptive]

• poleikleng
    poleikleng Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

I called Citizens today. I was told Quicken and Quickbooks are no longer supported by Citizens. I found a work around. Switch banks. There are plenty out there .

• pumford
    pumford Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I called Citizens and was told they are NOT dropping Quicken and QuickBooks support, but the rep said there is a ticket open to get QFX files available again. Still no ETA

• pumford
    pumford Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I spoke with a banker at a local Citizens Bank branch just now. She said their customer-facing website is messed up, numerous local customers are complaining, and that she personally is unable to log in to either website or the mobile app. At least the Android mobile app is working for me. It looks like QFX file availability isn't Citizens Bank's most serious problem at the moment.

• Jmansdad
    Jmansdad Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Since Citizens Bank recenyly upgraded its website, the account will no longer update. I disabled the account and cannot re-establish it. I receive error code CC-501. I am running Q Premier, Version R50.15. Any thoughts appreciated.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Jmansdad,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

When Quicken is unable to connect to your bank account for recent transaction information, you’ll receive a message with a CC-501 error in the program. This is usually caused on the bank’s end — Quicken is blocked from connecting to the account. You may follow this link to access a FAQ that provides more information.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Jmc1128
    Jmc1128 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

I have had no luck with Citizens on this as well - tried to call numerous times - hold times in excess of 30 minutes at Citizens - they have the wrong file type.

• barbm1092
    barbm1092 Member
    Options

I am also having this issue with Citizens. When I download the file in .qif format, I get over 800 old transactions posting to my Quicken account. I either have to delete all of them manually or restore a backup. This has been going on for over a week now. Called several times, connected after a long hold, only to be told it is a known issue. It worked beautifully prior to this update. Not sure if they are going to fix the issue or just not have the capability of downloading Quicken files. I understand the .qif format SHOULD work…that it is an older format and not as secure at .qfx but it doesn't.

• joeOH
    joeOH Member
    Options

I am still having with QFX download problems with Citizens Bank new platform. Looks like they corrected Quicken using Web Connect to QFX file. However upon trying it I received an error message attached that Quicken cannot recognize the financial institution thus no data updated. A Quicken problem? Anyone experiencing the same?

• Bobby D
    Bobby D Member
    Options

Unable to download data since Citizens upgrade, branch manager was no help and really didn't care finally reached someone online and was told Quicken was not going to be supported any longer. Opened a new checking account with a different bank the next day. Called Citizens one more time and today 6/30/23 was told there is an issue and they are working on it should be up and running next week.

• Brian Pharm
    Brian Pharm Member
    Options

I appreciate the comments and updates. I have been unable to get through Citizens IT support so far. Hopefully they will get the QFX file corrected. It worked well before the "update." We have been with Citizens for many years so changing banks would be a pain. Hopefully will be fixed soon.

• pumford
    pumford Member ✭✭✭
    Options

As @joeOH noted above, Citizens Bank is now again providing a file with a QFX extension when downloading data after selecting Quicken WebConnect option, but Quicken won't open the file, instead generating the above error message. I tried calling Citizens Bank, but there is a 45 minute plus queue for technical help; some calls in the queue no doubt have to do with Quicken files being incorrect. Hopefully someone at Citizens is reading these messages. We're now over a week into Citizens Bank's overhauled website, and things are still FUBAR.

• AKB8A
    AKB8A Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue @pumford. It looks like the correct file type is downloading but am getting the error message you posted. That makes me think that this is now Quicken's error to fix?

• JoeB56
    JoeB56 Member ✭✭
    Options

I too am having the same problem where Quicken does not recognize the financial institution. When I compare the new QFX file with an older QFX file I find two distinct differences.

The financial institution XML section lists the <FID> data element in the new file with the banks routing number, the old file has a different number. There is another tag <INTU.BID> expresses exactly the same difference.

One other rub, the old data file only listed transactions for a specified date period; the new data file has at least two years worth of transactions. Citizens website states that a new feature to address this is coming - I'm not holding my breath.

I used to do automatic downloads (cannot recall if it was Direct connect or Web connect) and had to stop a year or so ago because it broke and re-activation scrambled the register beyond reason; however, the manual download with the older QFX file worked well. Perhaps Citizens and Quicken can work together to correct BOTH issues.

-Joe

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@JoeB56 - what are the FID numbers you are seeing ..
    these should just be a Quicken ID number assigned to the bank.

Here is what our Chase QFX downloaded file looks like….

<FI>
    <ORG>B1
    <FID>10898
    </FI>
    <INTU.BID>10898

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Dave Bergman
    Dave Bergman Member
    Options

I have the exact same issue! Good Luck getting support from Citizens bank. Online help doesn't help for this issue and support has an 800 number you can call however, you will wait in the phone indefinitely. I am at the point where I am going to move my business to another bank that has transparency and a good support culture.

• Dave Bergman
    Dave Bergman Member
    Options

Citizens is not transparent with their customers regarding issues and this will cost them by losing valuable customers.

I am planning my move now.

• JoeB56
    JoeB56 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Ps56k2 - yes, I'm certain that what is in the older QFX is indeed a Quicken identifier, for Citizens its 00118. I would be curious if someone else could validate that same number.

Having worked in IT for many years, It is my conjecture that the web programmer for Citizens does not understand how all this works. I took the liberty if mocking up a newer QFX file, changing those tags and stripping out transactions and there was NO error.

I'll leave it there…

-Joe

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JoeB56 - here is that current entry -
    and the Web Connect is the protocol that allows for manual download of QFX files.
    So - just change whatever bogus number is there, and make it the "00118" -

00118 00118 00118 Citizens
    https://www.citizensbank.com/HomePage.aspx 1-877-981-3733
    https://www.citizensbank.com/HomePage.aspx ACTIVE
    BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@JoeB56 - BTW, can you clip and post the bogus FID numbers from the Citizens downloaded QFX file …
    Here again is our good Chase file -

<FI>
    <ORG>B1
    <FID>10898
    </FI>
    <INTU.BID>10898

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• JoeB56
    JoeB56 Member ✭✭
    Options
    <FI>
    <ORG>Citizens
    <FID>00118
    </FI>
    <INTU.BID>00118

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

well - guess they are not bogus - and the Import QFX for Citizens should work

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• JoeB56
    JoeB56 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Px56k2 - note that even if I change the FID in the WebConnect QFX file, I see other incorrect data, for example, near the bottom of the file is a section for ledger balance. Note that it contains a dollar.cents value and a date-time string. In my file, the balance is not correct for the date show (i removed the original numbers and placed x.xx below). If the balance in that field was ever correct, it was way back in early May before this became problem for me.

<LEDGERBAL>
    <BALAMT>x.xx
    <DTASOF>20230705120000
    </LEDGERBAL>

I have enough time to create a post or two but I will not experiment too far with Quicken since I have had backup restores break other thing unexpectedly :-)

-Joe

This discussion has been closed.