Is Log MeIn Rescue® for real or a scam?

Options
steam643
steam643 Member ✭✭
edited August 2023 in The Water Cooler

I had Quicken freeze up thew other day so I googled Quicken help. These people told me that 48% of my Quicken files were damaged and they would have to rebuild them. Of course there would be a charge. When the charge hit my bank they called me about this charge and I got to thinking that what they were telling me didn't make sense. So I had the bank put a hold on the payment until I could check them out. So is it some a money making scam or are they legit?

Best Answers

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

It is definitely a scam. Do not pay them. In regard to "get me back", there is nothing they can do if you don't pay them. Hopefully you didn't give them any financial, account, or personal information that could be exploited. if so, then contact your bank or cc company immediately.

When they were "helping" you, did you give them access to your Quicken account or data file? If so, then any information they saw (account names, numbers) could possibly be exploited.

You can always find the legitimate Quicken Support information and options by clicking on "Support" and scrolling to the bottom of the main page.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You got scammed by someone pretending to be Quicken tech support, a mistake that you are not the first one to be mislead by web search results.

Bookmark this link for future reference: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support. It takes you to the Quicken website for a link to the CORRECT & ACTUAL Quicken support team.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Quicken Anja

It is easy to find these shady support sites. The first two listings when I Google "Quicken support" are paid links to non-Quicken sites. Maybe someone from Quicken could work with Google to get these shut down, or at least appear lower in the search results.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options

Be sure to change the passwords for all your online accounts, in case the scammers were able to access them.

Use a different password for each account.

Answers

• steam643
    steam643 Member ✭✭
    Options

Another Question. Can they get me back if I don't pay them?

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

It is definitely a scam. Do not pay them. In regard to "get me back", there is nothing they can do if you don't pay them. Hopefully you didn't give them any financial, account, or personal information that could be exploited. if so, then contact your bank or cc company immediately.

When they were "helping" you, did you give them access to your Quicken account or data file? If so, then any information they saw (account names, numbers) could possibly be exploited.

You can always find the legitimate Quicken Support information and options by clicking on "Support" and scrolling to the bottom of the main page.

• steam643
    steam643 Member ✭✭
    Options

The problem was the program was frozen and would not let me access support. I couldn't get the phone number so I did a Google search and this place was the first thing I got. I wold think that a place like Google would know about something like that. Aah but Google is NEVER wrong! Now to go and change all my passwurds. The took over all of my computer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You got scammed by someone pretending to be Quicken tech support, a mistake that you are not the first one to be mislead by web search results.

Bookmark this link for future reference: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support. It takes you to the Quicken website for a link to the CORRECT & ACTUAL Quicken support team.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @steam643,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and reporting this here.

We are sorry to hear about this experience! For future reference, please note that Quicken will never charge you for any support services you receive when contacting our support team via chat or phone. If you don't mind, we also request that you please forward any information and details you might have about this encounter to spoof@quicken.com so it can be forwarded and investigated by the proper channels.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Quicken Anja

It is easy to find these shady support sites. The first two listings when I Google "Quicken support" are paid links to non-Quicken sites. Maybe someone from Quicken could work with Google to get these shut down, or at least appear lower in the search results.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@steam643 - if Quicken ever freezes again (but hopefully not), go to Quicken.com to get Quicken Support contact information. Sorry you had to go through all of this.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you @Jim_Harman!

Our teams are also aware of this and do their best to try and minimize it where they can. Unfortunately, there are a lot of scammers out there with new ones frequently popping up. However, when one of our customers does encounter/interact with these scammers directly, our teams still wish to have the information reported to the email I provided above so it can be properly documented and investigated.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• steam643
    steam643 Member ✭✭
    Options

I took my computer to a local computer repair guy and he looked it over, while I was right beside him observing, and he couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. He did remove the things that the scammers installed and some other unknown programs. I was going to leave the computer with him and let him dig in a little deeper. As I was leaving he suggested just do a windows reinstall, the scammers were in it Monday and the windows backups are done on Sunday, so I wouldn't loose a hole lot. So that's what we did and I just got everything put back together. I am now going to run a deep scan with my antivirus program.

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options

Be sure to change the passwords for all your online accounts, in case the scammers were able to access them.

Use a different password for each account.

This discussion has been closed.