Quicken for Mac 2005 - any way to convert to new version for Mac Mini?

Options
BBTADSHAW
BBTADSHAW Member
edited September 2023 in File Conversion and Backup (Mac)

My something like 18 year old Mac G5 died last week. I backed up the auto Quicken backup data file to a thumb drive weekly, so I have a current backup of the data. But Support is telling me there is no way to convert that data to the newly installed Quicken on the new Mini. This is crazy frustrating. What's the point of buying software with an automatic data backup built in, if after years of use that data can no longer be migrated to a new version of the software. There has to be some way to import that data - perhaps hopping to a slightly new version first, and then going from that to the new version I just loaded on the Mini? I do have a backup on thumb drive of the 2005 Quicken application, but it is crossed out when I pull up the folder containing the backup - basically telling me that it is not accessible? My next option is to take the G5 to a third party vender to see if they can do something with the drive to allow me access to that old Quicken and at least print out a balance sheet with ending balances for me to start anew in the new version? That will not be cheap. Apple Support refused to touch the G5 - said it was too old.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd welcome any help.

Best Answer

• BBTADSHAW
    BBTADSHAW Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you Jon and Jacobs for your informative responses. Apple support pointed me to a third party vendor and I will go over this with them Monday. The biggest issue I have is asset valuation (basis) on two houses. If there's any way to get simply a balance sheet out of that old software, that would give me a starting point.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

If you bought a brand new Mac mini it has an Apple CPU. Quicken for Mac 2005 is a Power PC app - it will not work and cannot be made to work on your new Mac.

To get that version of Quicken working again you would need either another Power PC Mac (basically another Mac as old as or older than the one that just died) or an Intel Mac capable of running Mac OS X 10.6, which was the last version of Mac OS X with Rosetta (which would enable Power PC apps to run on an Intel CPU).

A few years ago you could have gotten a copy of Quicken 2007 for Intel and used that to update the file but I don't think that's available anymore (at least not from any source I'd consider reliable). And that version of Quicken no longer runs on current versions of Mac OS since it's a 32 bit app & Mac OS now only supports 64 bit apps.

If you want to start over with a new file - and I suspect that's your only realistic option at this point - you're better off just grabbing the most recent statement for each bank & investment account & using those as a starting point. No need to pay anyone to fool around with the old Mac's drive if you're going that route.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2023
    Options

@BBTADSHAW said: This is crazy frustrating. What's the point of buying software with an automatic data backup built in, if after years of use that data can no longer be migrated to a new version of the software. [Removed - Personal Information]

Well, people have been moving their data forward for nearly a decade, but because you stuck with software which is now close to 20 years old, you unfortunately painted yourself into a corner. There's a way out… but it isn't easy.

As you likely know, former Quicken owner Intuit ceased development of Quicken Mac in 2007 because the underlying technology was not compatible or able to be updated to work on the evolving Mac operating system at that time. They set out to re-write Quicken for Mac from scratch using modern macOS tools. They started, failed, started again, came out with Quicken Essentials for Mac in 2010 (which many Quicken 2007 users did not adopt because it was far too limited), stopped, started again, and finally came out with the first iteration of modern Quicken Mac in summer 2014. Over the ensuing 9 years, through additional evolutions in the macOS and the sale of Quicken by Intuit, the Mac team at Quicken has been working to build out the features in the current product to include all the key pieces of the legacy Quicken Mac as well as Quicken Windows. They haven't gotten there yet, but each year sees more progress.

With the history out of the way, here's what you need to know about migrating your data to the current Quicken Mac. This program can read Quicken 2007 data files, but not older versions. So in order to migrate your Quicken 2005 data, you first need to get it into Quicken 2007 format. There are two problems with that: (1) finding a copy of Quicken 2007, and (2) finding a Mac which can run it. I can help point you to a solution for #1, but you need to solve #2 first. As @Jon mentioned, Quicken 2007 runs on every version of macOS up through Mojave (10.14); when Apple came out with its next operating system, Catalina (10.15), it removed support for older 32-bit programs — which means Quicken 2007 cannot run on Catalina or the operating systems since (Big Sur, Monterey, or Ventura). So you need to buy, rent or borrow a Mac that's a few years old which can run macOS Catalina or earlier, on which you could run Quicken 2007 to update your Quicken 2005 data, which could then be imported into current Quicken Mac. If you can come up with such a Mac to use, then I can help you with getting Quicken 2007.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BBTADSHAW
    BBTADSHAW Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you Jon and Jacobs for your informative responses. Apple support pointed me to a third party vendor and I will go over this with them Monday. The biggest issue I have is asset valuation (basis) on two houses. If there's any way to get simply a balance sheet out of that old software, that would give me a starting point.

• jacobs
    Options

What third party vendor? I don’t know of any company which can extract data from a Quicken 2005 for Mac data file, so I’d be very wary. (There are scam support companies out there.)

• BBTADSHAW
    BBTADSHAW Member
    Options

TenPlus Systems in Raleigh NC. They're an Apple Authorized Service Provider. I thought I would at least describe the issues and see if they had any ideas.

• jacobs
    Options

They won’t be able to help directly with Quicken, as the only path forward for your data is what I described above.

What I’d be asking them is if they have an older model Mac you could rent or borrow for a couple days; it needs to be running any MacOS between Lion and Mojave in order to run Quicken 2007.

Another possibility, albeit more complicated, would be to buy Parallels software to create a virtual Mac inside your Mac Mini. You could download and install Mojave in the virtual machine, then install Quicken 2007, install your Quicken 2005 data file, and move forward that way. But an older Mac fitting the criteria above would be easier.

• BBTADSHAW
    BBTADSHAW Member
    Options

All I'm really after is to see if they can get the old Mac up long enough for me to get some ending balances from the old Quicken so I have good starting numbers to enter manually in the new.

• Jon
    edited July 2023
    Options

If they're able to get the old Mac up & running again, you should export a QIF file. Modern Quicken will import a QIF when you create a new Quicken file, that way you might not have to start over.

While you're at it, you might as well print to PDF a transaction report for each account so you have a list of all the activity in each account, along with any other reports that you think would be useful.

• BBTADSHAW
    BBTADSHAW Member
    Options

I've got a good data backup. Can I simply rename it as a QIF file? That seems way too simple, but thought I would ask....

• Jon
    Options

No, you can't just rename the file.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Modern QMac is not designed to import just any QIF. It only officially supports QIF imports from 3rd party software like Bantivity. Odd I know. Some have had success with QIFs from QM2007 but YMMV.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Note that any VM to run QM007 must be installed on an Intel-based Mac, otherwise QM2007 will not run.

BTW, if you go this route, you can get VMWare Fusion for free, another top-notch VM. It is only free if you have Catalina or newer as the host OS. Then you can install Mojave or older as the guest OS.

Click here for more info on running QM2007 in a Virtual Machine (VM)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• ds2
    ds2 Member
    Options

I am in this same boat. Old MacBook - black running MacOS 10.6.8, Quicken 2005. I would like to move this data forward. I'm tracking the bank acct of my father's trust and will need to do a full accounting at some point in the future. If someone can point me to Quicken 2007 I would appreciate it. How should I export from 2005? Export QIF or export a copy as qdfm? Thanks! BBTADSHAW, I'd be happy help you too if I get this to work.

• jacobs
    Options

@ds2 Unlike @BBTADSHAW, you have a Mac which is capable of running Quicken 2007. That's half the battle. I will send you a private message about how to get Quicken 2007, and that will enable you to update your Quicken 2005 data file to Quicken 2007 format. (No exporting is needed; just point Quicken 2007 to open the Quicken 2005 data file — make a copy of it for safety first! — and it will update the database to Quicken 2007 format.) That is the only format which can be imported into the current Quicken Mac. But you'll need a newer Mac, running macOS Catalina or later, to run Quicken Mac. Do you have another, newer Mac? Without that, you're still stuck in the distant past.

If you will only be using Quicken to resolve your father's trust, then you can purchase a one year subscription for Quicken Deluxe. After one year, if you still need to access the data, you don't have to renew the subscription; Quicken will take the right 25% of your screen for a nag message about renewing, but you'll still be able to access the data, search registers, print reports, add transactions, etc.

• ds2
    ds2 Member
    Options

Thanks for your help. I updated to Quicken 2007 and opened my file. Now how should I export - Save a Copy, Export as QIF (probably not)?

• ds2
    ds2 Member
    Options

Oh there is also Export - To Quicken for Windows.

• Jon
    edited July 2023
    Options

@ds2 If you're wanting to upgrade to the current version of Quicken Mac, you don't need to export anything; the Quicken 2007 file will be read directly during the import.

• BBTADSHAW
    BBTADSHAW Member
    Options

Jacobs, I'm at TenPlus now, and they are letting me use a laptop with Mojave. Can you direct me with info on how to get Quicken 2007 for loading onto that laptop to see if I can migrate my data, and the backup again from Quicken 2007 to import to my new Quicken? (Your instructions from July 22 above).

• BBTADSHAW
    BBTADSHAW Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Jacobs - email to reach out to me is [removed for safety].

• jacobs
    Options

I sent you a message via email.

This discussion has been closed.