Husband/Wife using Quicken on multiple devices

My wife and I have all of finances jointly and are using one account. We each have a Windows PC, iPhone, and iPad. What is the best way to set Quicken up so that our data is able to be synced and kept up to date. I've placed two calls to Quicken support by the techs do not seem to be able to comprehend what I'm wanting to do. Thank you!

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @MelmoGA,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question. 

While it is possible to share a data file on 2 computers by storing the data file in a location that is synced to a cloud-based drive, please be aware that we do strongly advise against doing so and advise restoring backups to move data between the two computers instead. 

The reason is that when data files are stored on external drives such as cloud-based drives, it puts your file at risk of data damage and/or data file corruption. If/when this happens, you will no longer be able to access your data or it can cause you to lose data over time. 

Please, refer to this support article for more information. Although the article does reference DropBox specifically, the content of the article does apply to all cloud-based services. 

Alternatively, you can sync your data to the Quicken Cloud and be able to see your data remotely via the Quicken Mobile App or on Quicken on the Web. Please see this support article for more information on the Quicken Cloud.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

About the only way you could do that, assuming that both spouses want to make entries, would be to very, very, very carefully pass the "live" file back and forth, making sure that only one spouse at a time has access and control. Quicken just doesn't work well (if at all) in a networked/cloud environment. Quicken was designed for a "desktop" environment for one "chief accountant" to control.

If you really need "online, real time, synced everywhere" for the two of you (do you, really?) then I'd probably advise one of the pure online and less capable offerings. I've not investigated "Simplifi by Quicken" which claims to be "Our newest app for managing your
    money, exclusively on mobile and web." You might take a look at that.

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

If you have a slight background in programming, you could try this Windows command file that keeps the data file on a network drive, copies it to the local drive when you start Quicken and puts it back when you close Quicken.

It obviously needs to be modified to point to your network device and other details as such, but it does work. I did not create it, but it was written by a former Quicken superuser that I consider to be real sharp. It has a locking mechanism to prevent two users accessing the data file at the same time.

It will allow you and your wife to both make updates to your data without stepping on each other's toes and messing up your Quicken data file.

If you do try this, make sure that you have a current backup of your data file just for safety.

@echo off
    set DATA_FILE=MYDATA.qdf
    set SERVER_DIR=\NAS-PC\Quicken
    set TMP_DIR=c:\tmp
    set PROG_FILES_DIR=C:\Program Files (x86)
    set LOCK_FILE=%SERVER_DIR%\Quicken.lock

IF EXIST "%TMP_DIR%" GOTO :SKIP_MKDIR
    mkdir "%TMP_DIR%"
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO :NEXT
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO Error creating '%TMP_DIR%' && PAUSE"
    goto :END
    :SKIP_MKDIR

IF NOT EXIST "%LOCK_FILE%" GOTO NOT_LOCKED
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO %SERVER_DIR%\%DATA_FILE% is LOCKED && PAUSE"
    goto :END

:NOT_LOCKED
    echo lock > "%LOCK_FILE%"
    copy "%SERVER_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%" "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"
    "%PROG_FILES_DIR%\Quicken\qw.exe" "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO :TRYCOPY
    del "%LOCK_FILE%"
    GOTO :END

:TRYCOPY
    copy "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%" "%SERVER_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO :NEXT
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO Error copying Quicken data file (maybe locked). && PAUSE"
    goto :TRYCOPY

:NEXT
    del "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"
    del "%LOCK_FILE%"

:END

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

That script has bugs. Needs backslashes between the %…DIR% variables and the adjacent %…FILE% variables.

I edited the post to restore the backslashes. Feel free to check my work.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.