Answers

• kbjcnj
    kbjcnj Member ✭✭
    Options

Well isn't that reassuring!😡

• recalhou
    recalhou Member
    Options

Any update on the problem downloading Kohl's transactions to Quicken?

• jwdv
    jwdv Member ✭✭
    Options

hasn’t worked in a very long time. Not a quicken failure.

• onepo
    onepo Member ✭✭
    Options

This issue has hit me a 2nd time with my BP Gas card with FNBO. To me this can't be good news for Quickens. Is this the demise of Quicken?

Still a upset Quicken customer.

• LisainIL
    LisainIL Member ✭✭
    Options

FYI - a good way to figure out if your problem is a "bank" problem vs. a "quicken" problem is to download a free app like RocketMoney, NerdWallet, Mint (soon to be replaced by CreditKarma something or other), etc. Then, try to connect the problem card/bank there. If it doesn't work, it's not a Quicken problem.

You'll find this Kohls problem is simply a Kohls problem. I was unable to find a single other financial app that could connect to Kohls.

Doubtful this is the demise of Quicken. Despite its problems, it works better than nearly any other financial app/software out there. In fact, with the shutdown of Mint, Quicken is likely seeing an uptick in users. I've used Quicken for nearly 30 years. I've wanted to jump ship many many times over those 30 years. I've tried nearly all the other options out there. Some are decent, but more expensive. Some are cheap/free but either they're not great or you wonder why it's free. (Or you know why!)
    I've yet to find one that's reasonably priced and works as well as Quicken. And connects to everything Quicken does. And does everything Quicken does (Reconciling!!!). (If anyone knows of one though, please share.)

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@LisainIL said -

FYI - a good way to figure out if your problem is a "bank" problem vs. a "quicken" problem is to download a free app like RocketMoney, NerdWallet, Mint (soon to be replaced by CreditKarma something or other), etc. Then, try to connect the problem card/bank there. If it doesn't work, it's not a Quicken problem.

You are correct that if there is a connection problem with other financial softwares as well as with Quicken it is a pretty good indication that it is the financial institution that is causing it.

But when others can connect yet Quicken cannot it is not definitive that it is a Quicken-caused issue. That is because Quicken and the other softwares use different connection and download formats, protocols and aggregators. While it might be a Quicken issue it might instead be caused by the financial institution's system not working correctly with the aggregator and/or connection/download protocol because of some system or security change they made but failed to adequately account for or test properly before implementing.

In all cases, when a financial institution has admitted that the issue we are all experiencing was caused by changes they made in their system it is usually a good idea to take them at their word and stop trying to 2nd guess everything.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• ray476
    ray476 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I have been looking for a solution for Kohls and Target and what seems to be an issue that IS Quicken specific. From what I gather, there are different protocols/communication requirements out there. In my efforts, [Removed - 3rd-Party Software Mentions/Off Topic]

• ironmanco
    ironmanco Member ✭✭
    Options

"a solution for Kohls and Target …"

I have no problem getting Quicken to connect with Target's billing backend - at least I didn't yesterday ;-)

• kbjcnj
    kbjcnj Member ✭✭
    Options

I think it's incumbent upon Quicken to work with Kohl's to resolve whatever the issue is.

• Ron Mellum
    Ron Mellum Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The issue with Kohl's and Target is the same - neither currently support connecting to and downloading transactions via Quicken

I don't want to diverge or pollute this thread, but Target sent out an email some time ago that they no longer support third party aggregators (see "Third Party Data Aggregators" section of the FAQ at https://rcam.target.com/Secure#/Faq/AccountSummary

• TedG
    TedG Member ✭✭
    Options

The Kohl's problem remains. When trying setup a link, Quicken now reports that Kohl's servers have blocked Quicken from linking. This is the first time that Quicken has stated this. I sent a message to Kohl's Charge requesting that any blocks be removed. Not holding my breath. AmEx still hasn't updated since 11.7.23.

• TedG
    TedG Member ✭✭
    Options

Kohl's response: "At this time statement information can only be downloaded in PDF format for your records. We hope to have the ability to download to Quicken available in the future."

• rodneybr
    rodneybr Member ✭✭
    Options

Problem still exists, so I thought I would try a work around of importing the Kohl's transactions. Kohl's download option to export transactions only supports a CSV file and Quicken Does Not support a registry import of a CSV file as far as I can tell. A double edged sword!

Hello Support! Can you at least give us a work around?

• Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2023
    Options

(EDIT: Deleted this post. A corrected post has been entered on this date below.)

• Active User
    Active User Member ✭✭
    Options

Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭ 10:58AM

Kohl's store charge card only downloads statements in PDF format.
    There is no CSV file download capability from the
    https://credit.Kohls.com website. The download issues of this thread are
    about this Kohl's card.

Are you referring to the Kohl's Capital
    One Rewards Visa credit card? That is a different card and a different
    financial institution. If this is what you are referring to, then you
    might want to start a new thread regarding that download issue.

———————————————————————————————————

Actually rodneybr is correct. He is referring to the Kohl's Card (not Capital One). He attempted to download the transactions NOT the statement and it's right at the credit.Kohls.com website under the user's account. The only way to download transactions is via a Excel/CSV file. This is evidenced by going into the transaction history, then clicking on the "download transactions" link.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Thank you for the additional information correcting what I'd posted. My post was based upon what Kohl's customer service had messaged to me (see the following picture) and I had wrongly interpreted "statement information" to mean "transactions". My bad. I've confirmed now that transactions can indeed be downloaded in Excel/CSV format.:

Quicken requires use of a proprietary format (.QFX) to be used for financial data/transactions downloads/imports. It has been that way for a very long time and I do not anticipate Quicken will make any change to this in the foreseeable future since that is a big part of their business model.

That being said, QWin users might want to consider downloading and installing a freeware conversion software called ImportQIF. It is not a Mac program so it is my understanding it is not compatible with QMac.

ImportQIF does not include adware or bloatware and can often be used to convert transactions downloads in Excel and CSV formatted files (as well as QIF and OFX) into a QIF formatted file that can then be imported into Quicken. It was developed and is being maintained by a long-time Quicken user and very active participant in this Community. You can do a search in this Community for ImportQIF and you will find quite a few positive reviews about it, including by some Super Users who use it frequently. To find out more information about it, how to use it, what its limitations are and to download the installation file go to his website: https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ .

• Active User
    Active User Member ✭✭
    Options

Boatnmaniac - That makes sense. We are all on the same page now. That said, I do not see Kohl's correcting this issue anytime soon, unfortunately. There appears to be no sense of urgency for the company to rectify this for its loyal customers that use the Quicken platform to input & manage transactions. While Kohl's believes it has positively transformed its technology with the recent upgrade, Kohl's essentially went backwards 15-20 years with its ability to provide a reliable service to its customers.

• tkelly@
    tkelly@ Member ✭✭
    Options

Some differences…was not able to connect to kohls with a new file, but my old one is working. Difference is the older file connects to credit.kohls, not kohls.com … This seems to be an issue with both Kohls and Quicken. My suggestion is two fold. Message Kohls and inform them no more business untill they work with quicken to fix the problem, and message Quicken and tell them no more renewals until they address this issue succinctly and quit fu..ng around with the issue. Money talks folks, if you stick to your guns … no empty threats! If they continue ignoring customers complaints, there is some other software that is usable. Also tell quicken that you will not be using their tax preparation software until they come to grips with the discontent in the quicken community. This is a moneymaker for them along with their loan program … lotas of ways to make them feel our pain!

• cpollack
    cpollack Member ✭✭
    Options

How do you tell Quicken software which Kohl's site to use? I can (and always have been able to) connect on the internet using credit.kohls, but I see no way how to tell the financial software which website to use. Also, FWIW, Quicken is owned by Quicken, Inc. while TurboTax is owned by Intuit…these are separate companies, so the note about tax prep software is really off point. You are correct in that Quicken and Kohl's need to work together to fix this.

• arhoags
    arhoags Member
    Options

I apologize for not reading every word of this discussion page. I have read several articles that seem to point that the trouble with downloading Kohls transactions is because of the Kohls website restrictions. I am able to download transactions from my Kohls credit card into a CSV file. BUT, my version of Quicken WILL NOT ALLOW any downloaded CSV unless it is from Mint.com….I pay for my Quicken (assuming that everyone is now paying for Quicken). Quicken should allow any CSV. I had to download so many files from Wells Fargo before that whole process cleared up. Why does Quicken limit where the CSV comes from, as long as it is in the proper format? Seems to me that this 'automated downloading from Kohls' debacle can be minimalized if Quicken would allow any CSV to import.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2023
    Options

Quicken uses an Intuit-proprietary format for downloading/importing into Quicken. Intuit also owns Mint and they have customized Mint's export CSV format so that it can be imported into Quicken. Standard CSV files are not compatible with Quicken (except for securities prices importing) and any financial institution that wants to use Intuit's custom CSV Mint format would need to license it from Intuit.

I understand there is a subscription conversion program available called ProperSoft that can be used to convert CSV files into something that Quicken can import but it is rather spendy: https://www.propersoft.net/products/transactions/ .

There is a freeware conversion program called ImportQIF that can modify standard QIF, CSV, Excel and OSF files into a QIF file that can then be imported into Quicken but that program is compatible with Windows, not Mac. I see you are using Mac so you would not be able to use it unless you first install/run a VM program such as Parallels. It was developed by a long time Quicken user and very active participant in this Quicken Community. I have not used ImportQIF myself but others have posted in Community (including some Super Users) that is works quite well. You can read more about ImportQIF and download it from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ .

• John W. Taylor
    John W. Taylor Member ✭✭
    Options

I also am very disappointed and rapidly transitioning to hugely disappointed with Kohl’s lack of urgency to deploy a solution that enables the Quicken download process to perform as expected. The benefits of the Quicken automated download feature enables me to perform one less manual activity needed to consolidate financial transactions. This is a problem….not an issue to the Quicken/Kohl’s users!!

My wife and I are both retired IT/accounting professionals. It is obvious that Kohl’s business team does not consider this problem a high enough priority to use IT resources to fix. I have brainstormed alternatives with my wife to fix this problem. When we decide this is a huge disappointment then we will cancel Kohl’s credit card. And the transition to a huge disappointment is rapidly accelerating due to the extended length of time to deploy a solution.

Meanwhile, I will continue to monitor, once a month, the Quicken community web page for an available solution. But I’m reminded every darn day with the Quicken “Needs your attention” message regarding “denied access” originating from Kohl’s interrupting the Quicken download process. The clock is ticking.

• ironmanco
    ironmanco Member ✭✭
    Options

John W Taylor

"Meanwhile, I will continue to monitor, once a month, the Quicken community web page for an available solution."

You can bookmark this discussion and it will send you an email for each new post. Easier than to keep checking back now that pretty much all of us are in "wait mode" until Kohl's fixes their backend integration with Quicken.

See

• hermannj
    hermannj Member ✭✭
    Options

The funny part about all of this is I'm able to track all of my accounts on the Wright-Patt Credit Union web page (including Kohl's and PayPal Credit). Granted it's only a read-only solution, but I'm thinking with all the trouble I've been having I may just cancel Quicken and go with it.

• onepo
    onepo Member ✭✭
    Options

We no longer use the Kohl's card. I also check in with Quicken Community for up dates

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Quicken uses a proprietary download file format that no one else can use. Kohl's still allows for downloads in PDF (statements) and Excel/CSV (transactions) formats, neither of which are importable into Quicken. Perhaps Wright-Patt CU is getting their Kohl's (and PayPal Credit?) data via one of these formats. If all you use Quicken for is essentially a register for tracking expenses, account balances and maybe net worth then perhaps your CU will meet your needs. But these banks/CUs that offer this type of service come up very short when it comes to offering all the financial planning tools and reports that Quicken offers.

There are conversion programs available that can convert Excel/CSV download files into a QIF format that can then be manually imported into Quicken. A good one that is free (most are not free) was developed by a long-time Quicken user and one of the more active participants in this Community. It is called ImportQIF. You can read up on it and download it from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ .

• PCarpenterKohls
    Options

Whats the hold up on this easy fix??????

This discussion has been closed.