Awkward Moments...

Options
Quicken Anja
Quicken Anja Moderator mod
edited September 2023 in The Water Cooler

Happy August 1st, and time for a new monthly Icebreaker!

I think we've all had our fair share of awkward or embarrassing moments. So this month we ask; what is one awkward moment that lives rent-free in your memories?

One that always stuck with me was when I was about 6 years old, we took a family trip to Paris, France. My mom was checking out a kiosk and I was standing next to her looking at some bracelets. At some point, my mom must have moved away from me. However, I didn't notice. When I looked up, I looked around searching for her red shirt. I spotted "her" at a bus stop a few feet away, walked up to her, and immediately hooked arms with her without looking up. I then asked, "Are we taking the bus somewhere"? Out of nowhere, she started yelling in Chinese at me. Very confusing as my mom doesn't even speak Chinese. Then I feel someone else yank me from my other arm. I look and see it was my mom who yanked me, and the lady I hooked arms with was, in fact, a complete stranger. Good thing I didn't follow her onto whatever bus she was getting on! 😅

We'd love to hear your own stories! If you think of any, please share.

-Quicken Anja
Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello Everyone!

I think that I will take this time to discuss when I went to New York with my dad, specifically when we were walking in Times Square.

So I have always been a very clumsy person and when I was younger, I was not the best at being aware of my surroundings. You could imagine how this was amplified in a place such as Times Square. Well, I was walking and checking out the scenery and I bumped into an older man. I said, "Oh, I am sorry" and then proceeded to try and run to catch up to my dad. Keep in mind, I was probably about 9 or 10. The older man grabbed me and said "Woah there tiger" and proceeded to check all his pockets and make me empty mine. I was TERRIFIED. Come to find out, during that time period it was very popular for adults to teach their children how to pick pockets as they were less suspicious when bumping into people. My dad was not very happy, I was scared, and the older man was also upset.

It was a whole situation. 😪

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello Everyone!

When I was young, probably around 6 or 7 years old, my family decided to go on a day trip to Silverwood (6 Flags amusement park). One of the rides there was the Old Fashioned Car ride (basically slow-moving go karts kitted out to look like Model Ts). Children were allowed to drive, as long as an adult was present, so my youngest aunt agreed to ride with me. Naturally, I was excited since it was my first time getting to drive anything resembling a car. However, much to my horror, when I tried to steer the car, I discovered that the steering wheel did not work. The car straddled a rail that kept it on course, but being unable to steer and having no choice but to bounce off that rail every few seconds made for a very jarring ride. After making it to the end of the course, I was trying to explain that it wasn't my fault, but poor word choice served only to make it more embarrassing. I told my aunt "No matter how much I turned the wheel, the car wouldn't respond. There must've been a loose nut on the wheel or something!"

I hope everyone has a fun and safe August!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Landgoddess
    Landgoddess Member ✭✭
    Options

Years ago, when my daughter was a toddler, 1987-1988 ish, we ran into a CVS to purchase something. Standing in line at the register, my daughter is straining over my shoulder saying, "I want to see the clown, Mommy". I turned around to look & there was this female, with REALLY BIG blue eyewhadow. You know, like they did years before that &/or Mimi, from the Drew Carey Show. 🤣

This discussion has been closed.