R51.xx; Switched investment accounts from "Complete" to "Simple" (edit)

Options
Aaron Baker
Aaron Baker Member ✭✭

Hi. I updated to R51.10 last night and noticed that an investment account didn't download a transaction that had happened 2 days earlier. After investigating, most of my investment accounts were switched from "Complete" to "Simple" So, this made the transactions not download. Had to restore from a backup to get the transactions to download correctly after changing my accounts back to "Complete"

Please check and see if you are having the same issue….

Tagged:

Answers

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Aaron Baker there are several posts with users experiencing this same issue but thank you for alerting other users to this issue. It looks like you were able to figure out what the issue was and how to get your investment accounts back in order. The other thing to verify is that this option is unchecked. I think the logic for this option changed with a recent release. That is why some users are expriencing the issue.

• camner
    camner Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

In this post, there is an image showing the Investment prefs with an option to enable/disable the Simple Investing options.

But, in my version of Quicken (Deluxe R51.10 ), there is no such option:

It seems only have the option to enable or disable Simple Investing on an account by account basis, which is a pain. Am I missing something?

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @camner,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

The screenshot that the superuser provided in the comment you linked are investment options that are available to Premier, and Home and Business subscriptions. These options are not available/supported in Quicken Deluxe, and Starter subscriptions which is why you are not able to see that option in your preferences under a Deluxe subscription.

Hope this clarifies things, and we apologize for any confusion! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, it was available in Quicken Deluxe up through release 50.16, which I'm running.

It seems to have been removed from Quicken Deluxe in release 51.x

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @MHSwizzleStick,

To clarify; the screenshot you provided which was also previously provided by the OP is what the currently supported is in Quicken Deluxe. What is not available in Quicken Deluxe is the view shown in the screenshot of the comment that is linked in the first sentence of the original post in this thread (see screenshot below).

These options are only available to Premier, and Home and Business subscriptions. 

Hope this clarifies things! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Windows 10 Home Ver. 22H2-Build 19045.3208

Quicken Deluxe Ver.R51.12-Build 27.1.51.12

Yesterday Quicken functioned as expected. When I opened Quicken today, performed banking updates, opened investment registeries to veiw account transactions and all 5 investment account registries display four summary panels, Total Value, Portfolio by Security, Top movers, and Value over Time (see attached example). The typical (expected) account display of one line registry of all account transaction activety, does not display!! No action was taken by user to cause this display change. How do I get the investment accounts to display the one line registry of transactions? Banking accounts not affected.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

You were bit by a bug. See this thread for instructions on how to get the investment registers back.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I’m confused … in that screen shot, it appears that the ENABLE option is not there ?

Is the ENABLE option no longer available, or only available with Premiere??

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• camner
    camner Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Anja, for your complete and clear response.

• Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, but now there is a "MiscExp" cash transaction that sets the acct cash balance in ea acct to $0.00 which is not correct.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

You can delete that transaction. Hopefully, that will bring you back to the correct cash balance. If not, after your next OSU, you might have to enter some transactions that may have been missed when you were in Simple mode.

• Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Options

What a mess this surprise application change has made to my investment tracking. Really distroyed acct value and cash balance. Not even close to reality. I think I will be force to spend too much time attempting to manuall repair. Hopefully next update will help reconcile the bank and Quicken, if not I guess I will need to delete accts. and start over creating new ones. Not good

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

also check all your Opening Balance entries in all your accounts. Quicken also has a nasty habit of changing those to some other amount. Suggest editing the Opening Balance transaction, and copy the amount into the Memo field for safe keeping.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• RickQuick
    RickQuick Member ✭✭
    Options

This is really annoying. I have to go account by account to change it back, then redo the downloads.

Frequently frustrated Quicken user since 1996
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Robert Sheran - Deleting an account is usually not the best solution since it means that you risk losing a lot of historical data. What you might want to consider doing instead is the following:

Quicken should have created a backup file of the version that was updated just prior to the update to R51.10 occurring. Quicken would have entered that version into the backup file name like what is shown (shaded in yellow) in this example:

You might find it easier and less problematic to locate that backup file and restore it. You can find where your automatic backup files are located by going to Edit > Preferences > Backup > Open backup directory.

Double click on that last version backup file to start the restoration process.

Important: Once restored and before running OSU, check to make sure your account is set to Complete Investing, not Simple Investing. (Simple Investing can be disabled and Complete Investing can be enabled on the General Tab of Account Details.)

Another suggestion: Go to Edit > Preferences > Investments > make sure that Simple Investing is not enabled or not set as the default.

Then run OSU so you get all of your transactions downloaded properly.

By doing this, you will retain all of your historical data in the account and you should get new downloads of all the transactions downloaded since the version update took place.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja

I'm confused by your response. The OP was looking for a checkbox labeled "Enable Simple Investing (track positions only)". His screenshot shows this checkbox does not exist in 51.x. Your response seemed to indicate that this checkbox is only available in Premier and above. My post showed that the checkbox existed in Deluxe prior to release 51.x.

• Carp8diem
    Carp8diem Member ✭✭
    Options

Jim

Thanks for clearly explaining this problem.

I am using Home & Business and found the problem when I updated a copy of my file to R51.10. I would have thought Quicken would have fixed this immediately given the number of people probably impacted.

As you said R51.10 seems to have changed the option of "disable simple investing for all accounts" to "default to simple investing for new accounts". This change doesn't seem to be intentional based on the release notes.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the change from Complete to Simple tracking was an unintended side effect of the change to the option.

QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is an account considered a “new” account every time you have to reauthorize it after transaction downloading stops working? If so, that’s gonna get real annoying real fast.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

{ARGH} - so either a new bug - or a new un-doc change to the ENABLE selection - or all of the above -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Barry
    Barry Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

How is it after some 20-30 years of using Quicken, it changes all my investing accounts to Simple from Complete tracking. In the process it hides all my investment transaction and only shows value of account. Then when I try to change the view so I can see the investment transaction register, the "Support" provides a chat GPT 'solution' referencing tabs non-existent on my screen, and provides a note that Quicken is not responsible for the answer. Price goes up, functions deteriorate.

[Merged Post]

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

An update probably has done that. There's a lot of that going around.

You can go back to complete investing info by stepping into each Account and changing that option:

Check under Investment Preferences also to make sure that's properly configured.

[Merged Post]

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2023
    Options

I updated to R51.12 on 8/5. No issues were identified in any of my main or test data files.

Nor were any issues identified on 8/6 and the morning of 8/7.

I just opened my most important main data file and found that 6 of 7 investment accounts (taxable brokerages, IRAs and Roth IRAs) were switched from Complete Investing to Simple Investing. 1 IRA account did not switch. The global Preference for Default to simple investing for new accounts was not checked.

Also, in the affected accounts the Action Bar was changed in its entirety.

After changing each account back to Complete Investing I attempted to set up the Action Bars for each account, again. But I found that Update Transactions had been replaced by Download Positions and the option for Update Transactions was not listed.

After running OSU, all investment accounts remained with Complete Investing. The Update Transactions option for Action Bar showed up, again, and the Download Positions option was no longer listed as an option. After updating the Action Bar for this one account, all of a sudden all of the other investment accounts had the updated Action Bar.

I then checked 2 other data files and none of the investment accounts had been changed to Simple Investing but the Action Bars had been changed to match what was originally found in the 1st data file that I'd opened this evening. After running OSU, the Action Bars were all corrected without me needing to do anything.

This is all very strange behavior:

• The update to R51.12 occurred 2-1/2 days ago with no issue over the 1st 2 days. This Complete-Simple and Actions Bars issue occurred 2-1/2 days after the version update. So, is this issue really a version update issue or is something else causing it?
    • After changing the accounts back to Complete, OSU fixed the Action Bars issue and correcting one Action Bar then corrected the other Action Bars.
    • In two other data files the Action Bars were messed up. OSU fixed them without me needing to do anything else.
    • All of my data files have unique IDs and Cloud Accounts so this is not an issue of cross-talk between data files.

I've submitted a report on this issue to Quicken. I would encourage others to do the same.

• Real Big Guy
    Real Big Guy Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

After a recent update from Quicken my investment accounts went from register view to dashboard view. How do I get the view back to register?

[Merged Post]

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Right click on each account in the Account Bar > Select Edit/Delete account. On the General tab you can change it back to "Complete - positions and transactions" under tracking method.

Some people have reported this happening after updates recently.

[Merged Post]

• Real Big Guy
    Options

I have found that bmclance suggestion the best fix of all. I tried that today and got all my registers back. Thanks for all the help.

• shadw23
    shadw23 Member
    Options

I just encountered the same issue that all my investment accounts got switched to Simple, even though the "Default to Simple investing for new accounts" in Quicken Preferences is not set. Still not sure why that would impact existing accounts anyway.

When I reset each account to Complete Tracking in the account details, the view was restored, but I lost all placeholders, which were apparently translated to Balance Adjustments. This lost all the transaction details for those placeholders.

Not a happy camper here.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Do you have a recent backup file from just before the Simple Investing issue occurred? If so, you might want to try restoring it to see if everything is OK.

• Carp8diem
    Carp8diem Member ✭✭
    Options

I noticed in the R52.19 release notes the following fix:

I therefore took a copy of my R51.08 file (pre this problem) and updated to R52.19 assuming the problem discussed in this discussion would have been fixed. When I open the file with R52.19 several of my accounts again changed from complete to simple. Reading the fix above I think they fixed another issue? Note the comment about "during setup".

As discussed above I know one can find and fix each changed account back to complete. I was hoping Quicken would fix the issue before I upgraded from R51.08.

I will try to test this further but I am concerned the problem in this discussion will continue with each upgrade until fixed.

This discussion has been closed.