One-step update asking for text-message verification for Wells Fargo credit card download

Options
greenes
greenes Member ✭✭

For the past week, one-step update has paused to request text verification for the WF credit card download. The WF site itself does not require this and 2-step verification is not enabled. Anyone else having this issue? How to solve it/suggestions appreciated.

[I did try resetting the account but this did not solve the issue].

Tagged:

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What happens if you use "Update Now" . om the Gear icon menu, in this account from within Q? You MIGHT be getting this because WF is viewing Q as a third party.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• greenes
    greenes Member ✭✭
    Options

in any case, it is new behavior over the past week. I did not have to enter text verification before that.

• DKSexton
    DKSexton Member ✭✭
    Options

I also have this issue, and have to reenter it for each of my two WF accounts. It is very frustrating. And I am not sure how to fix it. WF is saying it is a quicken issue.

Please help!

• greenes
    greenes Member ✭✭
    Options

It worked for one day, but now the problem is back, still asking for 2-step verification for WF account update during the onestep update process.

• GermanBlueRam
    GermanBlueRam Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I started experiencing this behavior also, with OSU. In my case, I only have to enter the code once, for my two checking accounts and one credit card account. My brokerage account (Wells Fargo Advisors) seems to be unaffected, and the other accounts are downloading without error, once the SMS code is entered.

A relatively minor annoyance, especially compared to the problems BECU customers like me have been having for over a month 😐️, but it would be good to get this fixed.

• greenes
    greenes Member ✭✭
    Options

This minor issue is still persisting on a daily basis (with one day early last week when it didn't happen). Any thoughts on how to solve it?

Wells Fargo has the ability on its site to "manage apps" that have been granted access to your account - i.e., to delete the permissions, but I can't find a way to add permission for new apps. I thought that I could add Quicken and avoid this issue, but don't see how.

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

It's odd. My wife and I have two separate Quicken files (with individual and joint Wells Fargo accounts in each). I generally download my file first, and I have never been prompted for the MFA for her file.

Today I happened to download hers first, and I didn't get the prompt for either file during OSU.

• greenes
    greenes Member ✭✭
    Options

WF is still asking for text verification code about 50% of the time. This ends up preventing scheduled off-line updates from occurring, since it interrupts the process.

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

Yep, I don't do off-line updates, but WF asked for a code yesterday, but not today.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If all else fails, have you logged on to your accounts at the WF website and turned off 2FA?

• greenes
    greenes Member ✭✭
    Options

It has always been turned off at WF, but Quicken is still asking for it.

• greenes
    greenes Member ✭✭
    Options

Have spent a frustrating hour online with WF customer service who basically have turfed this back to Quicken, saying it is an issue with the way Quicken does Express Web Connect update.

Would like to have Quicken take responsibility for addressing this - I update accounts at 4 different financial institutions, and WF is the only one that is having this issue.

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

The comment by @greenes about EWC made me think about my wife's problem-free file. I looked, and it is on Direct Connect for Wells Fargo accounts, while mine uses EWC.

I just changed my connection method, and hopefully that resolves the issue.

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

It seems to have worked (!) although I had to delete some downloaded transactions. I did have to "register" as shown below:

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

I did have one last maddening experience when entering the code for registration on wellsfargo.com. I couldn't enter the code, for some reason, on Chrome until I held down the cursor in the box with my mouse. Anyway, fingers crossed.

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

Thanks for sharing. Your note made me think about EWC and the fact that my wife's file is not experiencing this issue. I am on EWC, and upon checking, hers is Direct Connect. I think I'll try to change my connection method.

• greenes
    greenes Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't think Direct Connect is an option anymore. The Online Setup screen only allows EWC as the method.

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

It is definitely an option. If necessary, deactivate your account(s) and then "Add an Account" from the Tools menu.

Select Advanced Options.

• greenes
    greenes Member ✭✭
    Options

Deactivating and setting up as you describe only used EWS. I think the difference may be that you used the WF Bank, whereas I have only the credit card account. When I had called the WF customer service, as unhelpful as they were, they did say that I might need to set up a checking account, which could be done at no cost. So maybe I will have to go that step, in order to enable Direct Connect option. Thank you.

• GermanBlueRam
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Quicken Anja or @Quicken Janean - is Quicken aware of this issue for Wells credit card customers?

• greenes
    greenes Member ✭✭
    Options

I don’t know. I hope someone from Quicken monitors this community. I tried sending feedback on issues directly through Quicken and never get a response. Their customer service line is not very helpful.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Options

Hi All, we are looking into this change but currently Wells Fargo is requiring MFA for all downloads. Please stay tuned. Thank you.

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.