Downloaded Transaction Automatically Entered

Options
doogieis
doogieis Member ✭✭

I download a paystub from Ally Bank and had a Deposit Reminder transaction to split it between 2 savings accounts and other categories. I changed the reminder and the next download was still using the previous Deposit reminder data. I then deleted the reminder completely and the next download had the same, original data was showing up in both savings accounts in Quicken. I've made sure that both the Edit Preferences, Data Entry and Quickfill and both accounts Edit Account Detail, Online Services to not automatically enter the transactions. I've deleted any memorized transaction that was previously saved for this transaction. I've also Validated and Repaired my Quicken data file. The incorrect data is still showing up in both savings accounts whenever the paystub data is downloaded.

Any suggestions on how to stop this from happening?

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @doogieis,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Which version of Quicken were you using when it started? When you say you downloaded a paystub into Quicken, do you mean you updated your account and have an income reminder set up to appropriately categorize the deposit? Do you have it set up as an income reminder, or as a Paycheck reminder? Is the reminder it should be matching to showing the correct data? Are there any other reminders it may be incorrectly matching with?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• doogieis
    doogieis Member ✭✭
    Options

it started after I created these new checking and savings accounts and setup the income reminder in July. It worked for awhile, but I can't think of anything special that happened that would cause this current behavior. I've used Quicken for over 30 years and this is the first I have seen this.

Quicken Premier, R52.20, Build 27.1.52.20 (current version that I have - I don't remember if I've received an update since July). Running on Windows 10 Enterprise.

Yes, I had an income reminder setup to split out the money to the savings and checking accounts and other categories. I have since deleted that reminder (and deleted any memorized transactions), but every time money is deposited in my savings and checking accounts and I run Update to download transactions, Quicken creates a transaction in the savings and checking account exactly like the income reminder that I deleted. It was originally setup as an income reminder - now there is no reminder.

These are the only accounts and downloads that create transactions that do not previously exist. All other reminders show up in the Bill and Income Reminders tab, and wait until I enter them before they get logged into the accounts.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

What kind of transactions are these? Is there any chance that Quicken is seeing them as transfers (when a transaction is a transfer, the category listed in the category column will be in brackets [])? If you're willing, could you post screenshots of what is happening (with any personal information blurred or obscured)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• doogieis
    doogieis Member ✭✭
    Options

The income reminder was saved to the checking account, with a transfer to the savings. Both accounts are at Ally Bank and both accounts are setup for downloads. Gross pay would go to an income category (positive amount), taxes would go to several expense categories (negative amounts), and finally a transfer to the savings account (negative amount). I do this for other paychecks (going to other accounts) with no issues.

I attached several print screens of the current status of various screens, and the accounts/categories the original income reminder was setup with. This is a weekly paycheck and I've already corrected and updated this weeks. The next data will be available next Wed/Thu, so I will get additional print screens after the data is downloaded and submit them for you.

fyi - I have run Validate and Repair and nothing was found or fixed.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue, but I think it's possible that the Quicken Preference to "Detect transfers" may be causing the problem. It's easy enough to verify.  

Look at Edit > Preferences > Transfer detection. If "Scan downloaded transactions for possible transfers" is checked, and "Automatically create transfers when detected" is checked; that might be the source of the problem.

Personally, I would never allow Quicken to "automatically create transfers".

But I find it useful to have Quicken look for, and notify me of, possible transfers, so I check the Preference box to allow me to "Confirm possible transfers before entering in register". In my case, Quicken gets it right about 98% of the time - the other 2%, I just reject Quicken's attempt to create the transfer.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• doogieis
    doogieis Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks for the possible resolution, but this is set to "Confirm possible transfers before entering in register".

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In my experience, there is only one way that a "downloaded" transaction can get truly "automatically added" to a Quicken account and that is if the Online Services tab in Edit Account Details dialog says "Automatic entry is: On".

But I have never Synced my Quicken file, so I cannot say whether Syncing could be involved. If you have Sync turned on, you should try turning it off until you can verify whether it might be the culprit. Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web.

If Sync is not the culprit, I'm running out of ideas.
    [NOTE: Theoretically, corrupted data might be involved; Validate/Super Validate do not find, nor fix, all data problems.]

If the problem still exists, a more detailed, step-by-step, problem description might shed more light - including what specific result you are expecting and how that differs from what you were getting before you deleted the original Reminder. I suggest also posting the Quicken financial institution name and the "Connection Method" (found on the Online Services tab of the Edit Account Details dialog for the account).

Other thoughts.

See if the problem occurs in a new test file.
    - Create a New (test) Quicken file.
    - Setup only the problem accounts
    - Download and check for the problem reported in the initial post in this discussion

One other long shot would be to:
    - Backup
    - Deactivate one of the involved accounts
    - Download to the remaining "Activated" account
    - See whether that sheds any light on the issue
    - Restore the backup, if desired

If the problem remains and there's no new helpful info available, I suggest using Quicken Help > Report a problem to get the attention of the Quicken developers. Send the data file and the log files. Don't expect any response from Quicken.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just few comments to add to what @mshiggins said.

Automatic add to register mode doesn't work like this. It isn't very different than when it is off, and someone goes to accepts a match in the Downloaded Transactions tab. First there needs to be a transaction already in the register to match too. Second once the downloaded transaction is matched with the one already in the register it the "merged transaction" gets a status of New Match. It so it is very obvious of what happened (and you can select the New Match status and unmerge it).

So, a transaction that just "shows up" in the register after a download with split transaction information when there was no reminder, tells me it has nothing to do with this mode and everything to do with the Quicken Cloud dataset sync. It is the only thing that has this kind of capability.

In the past there have been quite a few comments that "Sync to Mobile/Web" has caused transactions to "just appear" like this. Well, these days Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + both use that same sync to the Quicken Cloud dataset to get the transactions. And the transactions are stored in the Quicken Cloud dataset (Quicken Inc has never stated how long they are kept for Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect +, but for Sync to Mobile/Web there isn't any timeout).

This suggests that doing something like resetting the Quicken Cloud data set (if using Sync to Mobile/Web) or deleting it from another data file that is setup for Sync to Mobile/Web might fix the problem.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • doogieis
    doogieis Member ✭✭
    Options

for both the checking and savings account, the Edit Account Details dialog says is set to Off.

I don't sync to either the web or mobile, so that is turned off.

I will try the Validate option again, but I ran it once and it didn't fix it.

I connect to this financial institution and do the exact same thing (transfer between checking and savings account, multiple categories, download data) and have no issues with it. It works as expected - i.e. the Income reminder prompt me to enter the transaction and is matched when I download the data.

attached is the results after the latest download/update, which is the same as the previous ones.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The transaction with the red pencil status is a manually entered (or reminder entered) transaction. Is this the one showing up each time you download?

Or are you referring to the one in the Downloaded Transactions tab?

Signature:
  • doogieis
    doogieis Member ✭✭
    Options

Both transactions (one in checking account and the other in savings account) with the red check mark are not in these accounts prior to the download and after the download, they are there. The split transaction is in the checking account with the transfer to savings. In the savings account, the downloaded transaction is automatically matched to this new transaction. In the checking account, the downloaded transaction is not matched because the amounts downloaded match the paystub while the transaction that is added has a different amount.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is really bizarre. My guess is still on the sync to the Quicken Cloud dataset (which Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + both use, not just Sync to Mobile/Web).

Signature:
  • doogieis
    doogieis Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm going to deactivate all accounts I have with this bank, then validate the file, and reactivate them and see if that does anything. I've done each of these before but not in that order and all together.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure if deactivating/reactivating an account clears out the Quicken Cloud dataset or not. I suspect not.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.