Update one account updates all accounts

Options

See my original post on July 29th.

"I have NAVFED bank accounts and a USAA Credit card account. Neither is selected in my One Step Update options.

I am in my NAVFED checking account, select the Update Now options, and the pop up box appears ONLY showing my NAVFED account as the option (selected).

However, when the process completes, not only are the NAVFED accounts updated, so is the USAA account even though 1 was not in that account when I selected the update option nor is it selected as a One Step Update option. "

Quicken Kristina provided the steps to Super Validate the file but they did not work. I just now updated my NavFed account and my USAA Visa account also updated even though no mention of usaa is in the One Step Update Summary

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @FormerHostage,

Let’s try a few troubleshooting steps for this issue—these steps should resolve things for you, but if not, please come back and post more about your experience so we can investigate. 

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password (this screen is not a pop-up box)

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

This started happening with me, too, but I'm not sure if or with which version update it started.

What I have observed is that it only happens with EWC and EWC+ accounts that were not added to PW Vault during the online services setup process when:

1. I do Update Now for one account. Then all other non-PW Vault EWC and EWC+ accounts will also update at the same time.
    2. I do OSU for some EWC and EWC+ accounts (via OSU Settings) but not for all of them. Then all other EWC and EWC+ accounts that were not selected in OSU settings and were not included in PW Vault during account setup will also update at that time.

During tests it was observed that EWC and EWC+ accounts that had been added to PW Vault during the online services account set up would not update when doing Update Now for other EWC and EWC+ accounts. Nor would they update if they were not selected in OSU Settings and an update was done on other accounts.

I've known for a long time that EWC and EWC+ update credentials are not actually saved in PW Vault. But it seems that being included in PW Vault is a gate that prevents EWC and EWC+ accounts from updating except when selected in OSU settings or when specifically selected for Update Now.

There should be a way to prevent EWC and EWC+ accounts not included in PW Vault from updating when they have not been specifically selected to be updated.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• FormerHostage
    FormerHostage Member ✭✭
    Options

Jasmine, that did the trick.

I first did a backup then followed your instructions. Unfortunately when it logged back in it updated all the accounts. I restored from the newly saved backup and made pending entries for both my bank and credit card accounts. I then did the update for only my NFCU accounts and it worked as expected, downloading ONLY the NFCU records.

Thanks for your help.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @FormerHostage,

Thank you for sharing more information.

I am happy to hear that we were able to reach a resolution!

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Actually, I suspect that at the minimum it was doing the restore that fixed it, but it could be a combination of the two.

Note that what a restore does, is a sync back down from the Quicken Cloud dataset, and on top of the restored data file to try to bring it back into sync with the Quicken Cloud dataset.

Quicken hasn't been using the "simple flow" that people expect for quite some time now. And I suspect just some simple setting between Quicken and the Quicken Cloud dataset gets out of sync and the truth gets shown.

You might have not downloaded the transactions from the other accounts, but most likely the Quicken Cloud server has.

They only thing stopping them from showing up in your data file might be some simple flag somewhere.

Here is Quicken's connection flow as I currently understand it.

I'm not sure about the exact flow of Update Now, but I suspect it is the same with just another different "command" sent out with causes the Intuit server to do an immediate update. And note that I have seen the Quicken Cloud/connection Service "cache" requests as in not do full updates it the requests come too soon, so in some cases Update Now might just be bypassing this caching.

The first thing to understand for this case is that neither the Quicken Cloud Service or the Intuit Server are "passive players". They both will run on some kind of schedule to do updates whether any other of the components in the system request it or not. From what I have seen the Intuit servers do retain the "update daily" schedule. Whereas the Quicken Cloud Service is much more frequent.

As you can see from the above diagram the Quicken Cloud Service doesn't directly connect to the financial institutions, but there is nothing that stops if from making periodic requests for transactions through the Intuit servers.

Going back a bit in history before where Express Web Connect went directly from Quicken Desktop and the Quicken Cloud Service only serviced the Mobile/Web it was definitely desirable for it to periodically do this kind of update so that when the Mobile/Web clients connected the transactions were already there in the Quicken Cloud dataset. Even though Mobile/Web do have "update now" kinds of buttons, normally the user never has to use them.

It is important to note that the Quicken Cloud dataset has a large part of your transaction data stored there. How much? Quicken Inc has never stated this for the Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect + use case but taking the "do this least amount of work for the most benefit" kind of rule I would suspect it has the same data policy as Sync to Mobile/Web, as in first sync up to two years of transactions, keep all data after that unless reset.

So, it really isn't a question of whether the Quicken Cloud Service/dataset has this data from the other financial institution that you haven't yet asked Quicken Desktop to update. It is more like is Quicken Desktop properly "blocking" that data from being downloaded when not requested by the user.

Here is a fun artifact of this that I found. In automatic transaction entry mode and in Mobile/Web you "review" your transactions after they have been downloaded into the register (New and New Match status). On Quicken Desktop, there isn't any such thing as "unreview", but there is in Mobile/Web. Not surprising you can flip this setting and on the next sync to Mobile/Web it will change in the Quicken Desktop register status column. But what would happen if you don't have automatic transaction entry mode on? It puts the transaction back into the Downloaded Transactions tab! In other words, it "un-accepts" the moving of the transaction from the Downloaded Transactions tab into the register. The "sync" between the Quicken Desktop and the Quicken Cloud Service has basically unlimited powers to change your data file and do it "in the background" where you can't see what it has done. The only thing limiting it seems to be the developers writing the code correctly so that it behaves (I think you can guess what I think of that policy is)

The same is true for "Sync to Mobile/Web" not having this on doesn't imply that the data isn't being stored in the Quicken Cloud dataset, if you are using Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect + it certainly is there. It only implies that the Quicken Cloud Service will deny Mobile/Web access to that data.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW nice illustration of the data flow by transaction download method.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• FormerHostage
    Options

Quicken Jasmine….

welp….the problem is back. Updated NFCU accounts and it also updated the USAA Credit Card.

This discussion has been closed.