Quicken Mac 7.3 has been released!

Options
Quicken Bree
Quicken Bree Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta, Canada Beta Beta

We have started to roll out Quicken for Mac 7.3!

You can get the latest Quicken build by clicking "Check for Updates" under the Quicken menu.

Thank you for your help and support.

Best Regards,

The Quicken for Mac Team

Please take a moment to review the summary and try the new features in the product. 

Dashboard

• NEW We’ve added a new “Bills & Income” card to the Home Dashboard. This card shows upcoming bills and expected income to help you manage your financial responsibilities.
  • IMPROVED You can now customize your Home Dashboard by hiding or displaying specific cards.

Register

• IMPROVED If you need to edit the category on a transfer transaction, you‘ll get a warning that this change would delete the other side of the transfer.

Share Feedback

• NEW A new channel of communication with the Quicken Mac product team is available via the Help > Send Quicken Feedback menu option to share your feedback on existing features and your ideas for future product improvements.

7.3.1 Fixes

• FIXED Fixed a crash that could occur if Quicken encountered an error while opening a file

Thank you!

Quicken Bree

Comments

• J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Excited about the new Bills & Income card. Some user feedback … is it possible to consider aligning the data elements of the card with the same pattern used with other dashboard cards?

For example, the first data column being the 'date' and using the same date format as Recent Transactions card, followed by 'payee', and then 'amount'?

From a usability perspective … it often helps if information is formatted/displayed in a like way.

Thanks for the continued improvements to the Mac product.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2023
    Options

There appears to be a bug in the new Bills & Income card in the Dashboard. If you edit the amount of the next instance of a scheduled transaction, the new amount does not appear in the Bills & Income Card. The amount is updated in the register and on the main Bills & Income page, but not in the Bills & Income Dashboard card. (Credit to @John_M for reporting this in another thread.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I just discovered that any customization we do to the Dashboard (card visibility / position) is local to the machine that Quicken is installed on and applies to all data files on that machine. Opening a data file on a different machine does not inherit the Dashboard setup…which must be replicated.

Personally, I would like all settings to move from machine to machine with my data file so that opening it looks the same wherever I open it. In particular, I manage multiple data files and would not want the same dashboard cards to show for each.

What do others think?

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• jacobs
    Options

I agree with you, @MontanaKarl. I can't think of any good reason that preferences like this should not be stored in the data file. So I'm guessing this means this data is stored in the Prefs file? I don't understand that.

Many users maintain different data files for themselves and their kids, or themselves and a business, or themselves and a non-profit organization — and they wouldn't want the same Dashboard for their different data.

And many users move their data file between two computers.

One more thing: the external preferences file is not part of the automatic backups of Quicken data.

We don't typically hear from members of the development team here, but it would be helpful in someone at Quicken could give us some insight into why some configurations like this are stored outside the data file, while other settings (such as register column configurations) are stored in the data file.

• D in GA
    D in GA Member
    Options

Crashed data file conversion during backup

• jacobs
    Options

Crashed data file conversion during backup

Could you provide a little more detail? It's hard to understand that sentence. Are you saying that you downloaded the update and when you clicked to install it, Quicken began backing up your data file and then crashed?

I would suggest restarting your Mac and trying the update again. There haven't been other reports of crashing on backup, so hopefully this was just an anomaly. If not, the Quicken folks will want more details to try to hunt this down.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Bree Is @Quicken Victoria still here managing the product or has there been a change in staff?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I exit Quicken, for some reason - the backup process has started to hang and requires a force quit. I have Quicken Classic Deluxe Version 7.3.1 (Build 703.50428.100). I am using a MacBook Pro M1 w/ MacOS Sonoma 14.0.

• jacobs
    Options

@J. Holmes Have you sent this to Quicken via Help > Report a Problem? You won’t get any reply, but it might get it on their radar. Unfortunately, a hang/freeze requiring a Force Quit doesn’t generate logs and notifications like a crash does, so the developers might be unaware of the issue.

Now the normal questions… 😉

• Does it hang every time, or just sometimes, when you quit?
    • Does a backup file get generated or not?
    • Have you restarted your Mac?
    • Can you pinpoint whether this started when you updated your Mac to Sonoma, or after installing the update to Quicken 7.3.0 or 7.3.1?
    • Where is the location of you Quicken backup folder?

• J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@jacobs I will send to Quicken now.

• The issue is sporadic. It started earlier this week; however, I initially ignored it until now.
    • It does appear as if the backup files are generating. However, I can’t be certain if a backup generates when I am required to perform a force quit. The next time Quicken hangs when exiting, I will look.
    • I sometimes go a few days w/out restarting my machine. However, I never experienced this behavior in earlier versions of Quicken when I didn’t restart.
    • I updated my Mac to Sonoma via the macOS Sonoma Public Beta prior to the general availability of MacOS Sonoma 14.0. Thereafter, I updated to Quicken 7.3.0 followed by 7.3.1 when these apps were available. Overall, it is hard to determine when the issue may have been introduced. Everything appeared to work fine with Sonoma 14.0 + Quicken 7.3.1 up until earlier this week.
    • Library/Application Support/Quicken/Backups/Automatic Backups

• J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jacobs - I reported the problem to Quicken. As I exited, Quicken hung requiring a force quit. It does appear as if the backup is being generated. After the force quit, I copied the details from the Problem Report for Quicken and then went back into Quicken and submitted this info. via Report a Problem.

• jacobs
    Options

Hopefully someone at Quicken will look into this. What's odd is that I haven't yet seen other users here reporting the same problem.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You might also want to contact support and screen share with them to demo it. It might help get it to the dev team.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Pat Fowler
    Options

unable to open one of my data files, my main personal finances - other one (a non-profit that I am Treasurer) opens fine- says I already have file open. I have restarted and get same error when trying to open. Of course it is tax day and I have last minute items to look up

• MontanaKarl
    Options

This is the wrong place to report / get help on this issue, Pat. A fresh thread in the Mac "Errors and Troubleshooting" forum with a subject such as "Data file won't open - says Already Open" or some such is where reports like this belong.
    https://community.quicken.com/categories/quickencommunity_errors_and_troubleshooting_mac

BUT… since you need help TODAY for your taxes… you should call Quicken Support, as that's the only way to get immediate help. :-)

• MontanaKarl
    Options

OK… I was curious where the Mac lock file is stored… since I've only seen this issue in the past for Windows. Hopefully a moderator will move your message and my response to the Errors/Troubleshooting forum…

With any/all versions of Quicken Mac closed / not running, do the following. In Finder, navigate to the folder that contains the Quicken Mac data file that you cannot open. The message you get implies that there is a lock file as if someone else has the file open, perhaps due to an earlier crash or a network user or…?

Anyway, once you find the data file, right click it and select "Show Package Contents" from the pop-up menu. The *.quicken file is actually a hidden folder structure - that users should normally never touch as we are doing here - and this will show the contents. You will see a folder called "locks". Double click to show its contents. It should be empty if the file is not open. If you see a strange long file name inside there, move it to the trash. Close Finder and try launching Quicken again to open the file. Let us know how this goes.

• paulmactahoe
    Options

Hello Everyone,

It's time to upgrade my QuickBooks 2019 Mac, as they have dropped support recently. Do you know if I can export my data into Quicken Mac 7.3? Many thanks for considering my request.

• jacobs
    Options

I don’t believe there’s an export/import path for Quickbooks to Quicken. Perhaps if you can export from Quickbooks into some format like QIF or Excel, there might be some third-party utility programs which could transform your data into a format Quicken could import. But Quicken Mac has very limited importing functionality.

• MontanaKarl
    Options

Hi @paulmactahoe As jacobs said, there is no export path from Quickbooks to Quicken that will transfer all data - particularly transactions. It is possible (with a lot of work) to get chart of accounts, vendors, customers… but not transactions. In Quickbooks, go to File > Export and you will see the limited export options.

In addition, Quicken's feature set lacks any business aspects of a double entry system such as accrual accounting, receivables, etc etc. If you use QB for simple personal cash accounting, then you'll just need to start over in Quicken… but otherwise, you'll need to upgrade QB (at their outrageous subscription pricing).

• paulmactahoe
    Options

Thanks for the help guys! Yes, it looks like more $. I use Quickbooks Online for our small C Corporation (construction company) and I'm happy with it because I need financials, with accrual and/or cash accounting plus CPA access and a bunch of other stuff.

QuickBooks 2019 Mac has a drop down link that will convert you and your data right into Quickbooks Online within minutes. For free! But, $30 a month for the first year and $60 a month undoubtedly with price increases later.

But for our personal stuff I might just wait until the first of the year and start off with something new. I need to do a bunch of cleanup on the unused old files anyway. I started off with MYM (Mac Manage Your Money) in the 1980's. Wow! We have come a long way since that time.

• MontanaKarl
    edited October 2023
    Options

Just FYI… and a moderator may delete our posts as discussion of other products isn't exactly allowed here … but QB Desktop for Mac (or Windows) has no limit on the number of companies that you can run (separate files) for the same subscription price. (Or that used to be the case as of QB Mac 2021 - the version I'm still running which is the last non-subscription edition.) QB Online, on the other hand, is priced per-company and just gets out of hand for anyone with multiple companies.