American Express Saving Account

Options

Quicken has deactivated my American Express Saving Account and will not allow me to reactivate stating user name or password is incorrect. American Express Bank FSB has stated they no longer support Quicken on there web site. Is this correct and why would they stop supporting Quicken? Could not get any answers from American Express.

Comments

• stuardroth
    stuardroth Member ✭✭
    Options

Same here, it's been more than 2 weeks now.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Cheddy and @stuardroth,

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of what you see on the American Express website in regard to Quicken being supported? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Please remember to redact any personal information as needed.

Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Hamlin
    Hamlin Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken stopped uploading data from my American Express savings account about three weeks ago. I deleted the accounts in an attempt to fix problem, but am unable to reinstall American Express using correct user id and password. These credentials continue to work when signing on using the internet.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Hamlin,

Thank you for joining this thread.

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the error message that you received using the instructions in my previous post?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• grega
    grega Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ditto…and I've changed my AMEX password to make it simpler (fewer special characters and only common ones) with no improvement.

• grega
    grega Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Workaround, at least for QW:

Select the savings account in Quicken.

Upper right in register, select the "Settings" gear icon.

When queried for your instituion, select "American Express - Banking" not the old "FSB" one.

You'll get asked for UN/PW and challenged a coupled times for security PINs via email or text.

QW will connect and download outstanding transactions.

Root cause? I think AMEX changed their URLs for acess a few months ago; I seem to recall being queried to create a new login.

• grega
    grega Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I spoke too soon…now Quicken is asking me to provide a text PIN every time I do a download after a program restart.

Quicken support, would you please investigate? I know it's due to an AMEX change, but this is really annoying.

• zot100
    zot100 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

American Express - Banking IS NOT the whole solution! I have been battling this connection issue for several months and thought it was solved, Although the September Interest Transaction for the Savings account failed to download even though the account appeared to update the Bank total. The day before it quit working this time, that September transaction unexpectedly downloaded and matched the September interest transaction that I had manually entered.

Since the download appeared to be working, I Recently opened an American Express Checking account as well.

The checking & the Savings Account BOTH quit connecting a few days ago although the checking account does appear that it may be working now after a reset. but the AMEX account IS NOT found even after Deactivating and Re-Adding the savings account to Quicken using the 'American Express - Banking' selection.

This Issue STILL Needs work.

• lth11
    lth11 Member
    Options

I concur with the above comments that the AMEX savings account can no longer be found by Quicken.

The change for me happened sometime in September. Initially the savings account was linked just fine, but since then no amount of deactivating/reactivating downloads through the Quicken settings has resolved the issue.

The selection of any of the AMEX institution options in the Quicken download setup process only produces my credit card account… whereas it used to find both the credit card and savings account as linkable.

PLEASE get with AMEX and get this fixed… and in the process insure that the AMEX checking accounts would also link. I have been delaying getting an AMEX checking because of this irritating issue and would not be surprised to find that others are also dubious about getting the AMEX checking if this issue persists.

• GrayBee
    GrayBee Member ✭✭
    Options

I just got off the phone with Amex Savings and they confirmed that they made a change and no longer support Quicken. I even told her that was a deal breaker for me and they didn't seem to care. Guess I'll put everything in Ally bank which is paying 0.05% less than Amex, but it works with Quicken just fine.

• GrayBee
    GrayBee Member ✭✭
    Options

And, if you're looking for confirmation from American Express, here is the link:

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/banking/online-savings/faq/mint-or-quicken/

• zot100
    zot100 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

RE: GrayBee comment and link.

Downloading the Quicken .qfx file from the American Express Savings website does not work either.

Error OL-221-A when importing the file to Quicken.

Additionally the explanation of why the Savings account download doesn't work, it these are because of privacy issues, won't the same Privacy issues exist for AMEX checking and Credit Accounts? Other Bank's savings account download, Discover & BoA, so my read is that this is still a technical issue, and anyone who inquires is getting what I call the 'Standard Answer' from AMEX to get the caller off the line.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Instead of downloading QFX files from the AmEx website (which has been reported to be broken and/or is deliberately no longer supported), try activating the Savings account using American Express - Banking as the Financial Institution name and your credit card credentials.
    Use Tools / Add Account (or the "+" icon in the Account Sidebar title) to start the Add account process. If the account register already exists in Quicken LINK the account found at the bank to the already existing register.

Using this method, you will be able to download transactions using the One Step Update process in Quicken.

I just set up a new Savings account today using this process and it worked without any problems. You may get prompted for entering security codes once or twice. I had those emailed to me instead of using text messages to my cellphone.
    Once I get some more confirmations on Monday, I'll be able to transfer funds into my new account.

• cybrhippy
    cybrhippy Member ✭✭
    Options

The post by UKR seems to work.

I had called AMEX a few weeks ago when 1 of my 2 savings accounts disappeared and the other was "locked out" from web access. I was told Quicken was no longer supported and given the same link as above. After following the process that UKR gave I was able to get both my saving accounts setup again… for now at least.

When I was working on this a few weeks ago I don't remember there being the "*- banking" option, Just the FSB. Could be wrong.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I was working on this a few weeks ago I don't remember there being the "*- banking" option, Just the FSB. Could be wrong.

Your memory's working OK.
    "American Express - Banking" is indeed a new entry.
    AmEx seems to have made some changes and created new download connections, to replace old ones.
    Not being aware of these changes, not having received any emails or other notifications, I have even given some bum (outdated) advice to other users.

Now we just need to hope that Quicken/Intuit update their financial institutions directory and remove outdated or unsupported entries from the list.

• zot100
    zot100 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

See my prior comments…. ( UKR post seems to work now ) Although I had attempted that multiple times last week and it only found my Checking Account, today the process found all three accounts, Savings, Checking and Credit Card. Checking and Savings were already linked and it allowed me to relink my existing Savings Account.

Today I was able to relink my American Express Savings account using the '+' sign in the Menu and Select the 'American Express - Banking' item. This also correctly downloaded my October Interest deposit. One additional thought here is that it may be necessary to have an actual transaction pending download for the linking to actually work properly… Although this has never been an issue with other banks I have connected.

• oaridner
    oaridner Member ✭✭
    Options

I only have a Savings Account with American Express. Until September I was able to update it using One Step Update with the account set for "American Express - Banking" without problems. In September it starting asking for a PIN that was sent to my phone every time One Step Update run. I then moved to manually update from inside the register but in October I started getting a CC-502 after the PIN was entered. I did a reset account and the download was deactivated. When trying to setup it again I get the same CC-502 as before. I then tried to download the QFX file from American Express but Quicken does not do any updates with it. I have one interest transaction that should be downloaded. I tried adding a new account as suggested and I also get a CC-502 doing it.

As others already said American Express is still telling they don't longer support Quicken.

Quicken Support, please work on this issue!

• cybrhippy
    cybrhippy Member ✭✭
    Options

Seems they caught on to us, Went to update this morning and both my savings accounts are throwing errors saying "ACCOUNT_NOT_FOUND".

Just curious why they are trying so hard to block/stop this when it was working just fine…

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which financial institution name are you using to connect to your AmEx savings account(s)?
    The old, now obsolete "American Express FSB" or the new "American Express - Banking"?

If you haven't, please reread the entire discussion carefully.

• cybrhippy
    cybrhippy Member ✭✭
    Options

I switched to the new "American Express - Banking" connector which worked for a few days but is now throwing an error code of "ACCOUNT_NOT_FOUND (324)" for both of my savings accounts. It did work for a couple of days and even snagged 1 new transaction before it stopped working again yesterday.

• Zarkon5555
    Zarkon5555 Member ✭✭
    Options

This work around does not work for me. I tried 3 rounds of LN/PW/PIN always with the error: CARE CODE FDP-102

• Zarkon5555
    Zarkon5555 Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue but the Quicken support folks seem clueless.

Going to have to move (2) accounts out of AMX because of this.

• TangledWeb
    TangledWeb Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue with me since Nov 5 when I needed to reauthorize - neither the old 'FSB' nor the new 'American Express - Banking' FI names work for me.

Always get the reauthorization code, have tried having it emailed to me, texted to me, voice-called to me, but always the same result - the AMEX savings account can no longer be found by Quicken.

Chatting with Amex just now, they made no mention that they would not support Quicken and they suggested the issue is on the Quicken side of things.

• mcole77
    mcole77 Member
    Options

This problem appeared for me a couple weeks ago with the savings account. Mine is only two months old but the link worked perfectly until it broke a couple weeks ago. It did have the text a code thing every time I updated it so I took it out of one step update and only updated when I knew there were new transactions. I have tried every method listed in this thread all to no avail. My two Amex credit card accounts work fine. I called Amex; they said the problem was with Quicken. I then spent two hours on the phone with Quicken Support and shared my screen while I followed their instructions. They had me send the log files in Quicken. They emailed me the next day and said it's definitely an Amex problem. I call Amex back and the tech support lady said "We know, we're doing an update. Keep trying." Does anyone buy that?

• TangledWeb
    TangledWeb Member ✭✭
    Options

What we can say is that the Amex verification process is not communicating properly with the Quicken verification process.

Update on my front - after leaving the account alone for a couple of days, I tried again and met with some success - after asking for a "vertification" [sic] code from Amex, Quicken's OSU went ahead and (hurrah!) seemed to update the account - problem solved or so I thought.

Until the following day during OSU when Quicken again asked for a "vertification" code from Amex, which I again dutifully supplied, and where again the account seemed to update. Problem solved or so I thought.

Until the next day during OSU when Quicken again asked for a "vertification" code……..I don't think I need continue.

• cybrhippy
    cybrhippy Member ✭✭
    Options

I was able to configure it to use AMEX - Banking again today and it seemed to pull updates. Should be no activity till the end of the month.

I did get the 2FA request, but at least it seemed to worked.

• zot100
    zot100 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have been getting AMEX Credit Card and Checking Account transactions without any issues. I was getting an error message related to my AMEX savings account for a week but this seems to have cleared in the past week. My guess is the error message was related to no new transaction in the Savings account, It just didn't say that. My experience is that error messages only rarely reflect the real issue. I guess the real test is if it downloads the monthly interest payment for the savings account and then no mew error message pop.

• TangledWeb
    TangledWeb Member ✭✭
    Options

Issue continues with me - even after transactions downloading at end of month for interest.

Quicken asks for a "vertification" code from Amex everytime I try an OSU from "American Express - Banking".

Quicken Support, please work on this issue!

• oaridner
    oaridner Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue continues with me also - Error CC-502

I get the 2FA request and soon after I enter the code the "Oops there is a connection problem. CC-502" error is sent. It is happening for several months now.

Quicken Support you have the ball!

• EHanley
    EHanley Member
    Options

I am also getting the CC502 error - I have been trying for days to fix this.

This discussion has been closed.