Sub Total Capability

Options
erustle
erustle Member, Windows Beta Beta
edited October 2023 in Reports

Always wished I had a way to select various values in a report and be able to have quicken sub total on the selected values

4 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @erustle,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your Idea request.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you give examples of the reports you've tried to use?
    What kind of a report are you looking for?

The Transaction based report, Reports / Banking / Transaction, allows subtotaling by certain criteria.

• whatrb
    whatrb Member
    Options

I would love to see this as well. One example is with travel expenses. I use Categories for expense types (Airfare, Hotel, Meals, etc.) and Tags to identify trip (2023 Mexico trip). This is helpful because expenses for a trip may occur in multiple periods, or expenses for multiple trips may occur in the same period, etc. This way I can more easily see what I spend on a trip. Or so I thought. Unfortunately if I use Itemized Categories or Spending by Category reports it groups by expense type… but mixes all the tags together. If I use the Itemized Tags report it groups by tags… but mixes all the categories. I have to export the data to Excel and then manipulate it there. Workable but very annoying. Seems like this would be a simple enhancement, and it would make the data much more useful (which is kind of the point of a product like Quicken).

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try the Banking > Cash flow by Tag report. You can set that up with a row for each Tag and a column for each Category.

Select the date range you want, then click on the gear to customize. Set the Row to Tag and the Column to Category. On the Tags tab, you probably want to un-check Untagged, and if you have Tags that are not travel related, un-check them as well.

Pretty cool, eh?

QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Try the Banking > Cash flow by Tag report."

See also:
    Banking > Cash Flow
    Spending > Current Spending vs Average Spending by Category
    Spending > Current Spending vs Average Spending by Payee

The two Cash Flow reports allow the user to specify an Excel-like structure where one item is shown by row and the other by column. The user elects which item will appear in each row and which item will appear in each column. For example: The report can show categories in rows and tags in columns, or vice versa - other row/column choices are also available in the Cash Flow reports.

[When using the Cash Flow reports, it may be desirable to Customize to use "Income/Expense" as the "Organization" (rather than "Cash Flow").]

The Current Spending vs Average Spending reports show the sub-totals in rows. So, for example, in the Current Spending vs Average Spending by Category report, the user can choose to subtotal by tag - resulting in a separate row for each category within each tag.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    Options

I'd like to see the ability to sort & subtotal a report by category and by account. For example, I want a summary at the end of the year of tax items. The Tax Summary report allows me to sort by single options - Account/Date OR Date/Account, etc., which is OK.

But within the chosen sort, I'd like to subtotal by account. Say, I choose Sort by Category. Within that category, I want a subtotal by Account, but that's not an option. An example would be Schedule A - Medicine and Drugs. When I do my taxes, I need to input the totals by Payee within each category. I have Medicine (2 pharmacies), Eyeglasses, Medical Insurance.

Under Schedule B - I have interest and dividends from more than one financial institution, but no way to subtotal each company..

If I sort by Payee, the report combines my pension plus my tax deductions. There is no way to subtotal those amounts.

None of the reports I've used within Quicken can be used as designed. I have to export them to Excel and manipulate the data.

• erustle
    Options

Anja: Just read your response to my suggestion for subtotalling. I will post here an example from Excel. In this example, Operating Expenses are totaled for me automatically. If I wanted just a total for utilities, I would like to highlight only those expenses and have a total pop up from the report ie. 425.22. Its not part of the report but can be achieved on the fly. Hope this is a bit clearer. Russ

• mshiggins
    Options

"If I wanted just a total for utilities, I would like to highlight only those expenses and have a total pop up ....".

Create a new subcategory called "Utilities" - make it a subcategory of "Operating Expenses".  

In the Category List, Edit "Heating Oil", "Cable TV", "Electricity" and "Phone" and change them into a subcategory of Utilities. Then you'll get a "subtotal" of your utilities whenever they're reported.

-JP

• erustle
    Options

JP i htink you are missing the point. This involves making sub categories. I am suggesting doing this on the fly with what ever line items one wants. Not sub categories.

• mshiggins
    Options

"JP i htink [sic] you are missing the point. This involves making sub categories. I am suggesting doing this on the fly with what ever [sic] line items one wants. Not sub categories."

I didn't miss the point. 

I doubt you'll see Quicken make the change you requested, so I provided an alternative way to get the desired result without waiting for something that may never happen.

-JP

• jakh
    jakh Member
    Options

Hopefully, this would also provide the ability to sort - then subtotal. I currently export to excel so that I can manually subtotal by my selection.