Quicken Classic Deluxe Crashes When Adding A New Online Biller

Options
cyberphile
cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭

When I try to add the Costco Citi Anywhere credit card (or a regular Citi credit card) as an online biller, Quicken will report "Something went wrong, please try later." and then crash creating a DMP file in my AppData\Local\CrashDumps folder. There this an error message in the QCSLog.txt file:

ERROR:ReadMixpanelFileAndSend : Index was outside the bounds of the array.

I don't get this error when trying to add other online billers. I have already sent a problem report through the Quicken application.

I spoke to Customer Support who wasn't able to help thinking that I want to pay online saying it wasn't supported any more despite my saying I only want to download the statements as reminders to pay. Even spoke to a supervisor who couldn't provide any assistance other than to post here in hopes that the developers would see it and I would be able to get notification if it is fixed.

I've tried the SuperValidation process with no help.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @cyberphile,

To clarify the issue, the only thing that triggers Quicken to crash is when you try to add Costco Citi Anywhere Credit Card or Citi as an online biller? Does it crash every time you try to add that online biller, or is it more random? If it doesn't crash every time, then what happens when it doesn't crash?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, that is the only case that I've found. I happens immediately after choosing to add those online bills. It doesn't crash if I choose other online bills such as Discover, Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, Southern California Gas. It always crashes immediately on at least those two online bills.

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is what I see.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried the Review and Repair Online Billers function available under the gear icon in the Bills, Income & Transfers view?

Which bank has your checking account?
    If your bank (the one that runs your checking account) recently required you to reauthorize your checking account and/or your bank has changed from "Direct Connect" to either "Express Web Connect" or "Express Web Connect+" you can no longer use Online Bill Pay direct to the bank or Quicken Bill Manager's Quick Pay function. The bank no longer supports this function through Quicken.

IMHO, you have these alternatives (in no particular order of preference):

1. Use Quicken Bill Manager's Check Pay making sure to submit payment early enough (at least 3 weeks before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing. Note: limited number of free transactions per month.
    2. Logon to the bank's website and schedule your bill pay payments to be executed by the bank from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken use a regular Scheduled Reminder to record your payment. Repeat both actions every time another payment is due.
    3. Bypass Bill Manager. Let the biller's (or credit card company's) computer system do all the work for you. Logon to the biller's website once and set up their Autopay, APS, Direct debit, etc. service to make the current payment and all future payments on Due Date directly from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken, every month, record a regular Scheduled Reminder to keep track of your payments before they come due.
    4. Write (or print with Quicken) a paper check and mail it to the biller, making sure to mail payment early enough (at least 10 days before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing.

I've been using method #3 for decades, especially for all my credit card payments, since before the Internet and transaction download capabilities were even introduced. It's easy to get used to this process. And I have yet to miss a single payment.

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

UKR, the problem occurs immediately when I try adding those particular online billers. Other billers work find. Using the Review and Repair Online Billers function is for after a biller has been added.

This problem as nothing to do with actually paying the bill using Quicken. I only add the biller to add a reminder once a statement has been generated for a billing period. Payment is actually done directly via the biller's website.

The generated error is due to not checking an array subscript before using it, ie. a programming error. This should not occur in commercial software.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

UKR, the problem occurs immediately when I try adding those particular online billers. Other billers work find. Using the Review and Repair Online Billers function is for after a biller has been added.

Are you so sure about it? Have you at least once tried running Repair?
    Be sure to have or create a backup before you try it and see what happens.

I hope Community moderators will forward your report to the programmers.

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I am and I have run Repair. I've also run Validate and Super Validate without change. For all I know, this could be the result of installing the Quicken Classic update. ☹️

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When I review your conversation with Support, it sounded like you were able to add the Online Biller in a test file without Quicken crashing, but not in your main file. Is that correct?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

That is correct. This current file was created by using the Create a Copy function because the prior one was generating CC-800 errors when trying to download transactions from other financial institutions. This was at the recommendation of Quicken Customer Support agent.

I've done numerous Validate and SuperValidate operations with no help.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Since it worked in the test file, that implies the issue is file specific. Did the CC-800 issue and the issue adding Citi as an online biller start around the same time? You mentioned that Validate/Super Validate did not correct the issue (and I can see in the support ticket that it didn't correct the CC-800 issue either). Have you tried restoring a backup from before the issues started, if possible?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Citi online biller was working at the time the CC-800 errors started. They were the reason why I called customer support. I’ve since used the copy function again to a different file name and activated my Citi credit card account only. It still crashed trying to add it as an online biller.

I also tried restoring a backup from a month ago. Same behavior. There still the possibility of this crash being a Quicken Classic issue. Is it possible to revert the last version of Quicken and use this data file? If so, where do I find an old installer?

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, since it crashes immediately after selecting Costco Citi Anywhere credit card biller of just Citi biller, could it be a corrupt FILST file? Can I force a download of it again?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In this other thread, we found out was causing this, here is my comment on it:

To summarize. For some strange reason Quicken Bill Manager insists that the Costco Citi Anywhere credit card has to be setup as an online account before it will allow you to add it as an online bill. Furthermore, it has to be setup using Express Web Connect. If it is setup with Direct Connect, Quicken will crash when trying to setup the online bill.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chris_QPW: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! That was the problem! Now let's hope the Quicken developers see this and fix it ASAP before anyone gets hit with this problem.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

I have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this issue further investigated. In the meantime, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

Quicken Kristina

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I submitted a Problem Report via Quicken with the error message in the QCSLog.txt file before I posted to this forum. I also spoke to Customer Support too.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was curious if this could even be reproduced in a sanitized copy of the data file because your credentials are removed, but then I realized they do leave them setup for Online services.

I created a sanitized copy of my data file and tested this out. I can reproduce the problem in the sanitized copy of my data file, so I sent out a problem report with a sanitized data file.

But now that I thought about it and did some more tests this is the last time, I will ever send a sanitized copy of my real data file.

Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + accounts don't store your credentials in the data file. In the case of Express Web Connect they are stored on the Intuit server. In the case of Express Web Connect you have authorized the downloading of transactions on the Chase website for "that data file". Sanitizing the data file isn't changing the unique Id for the data file, as such it can still be used to download transactions in both cases.

If I was to do this again, I would make a copy of my data file which changes the unique Id and deactivate it from online services. Which might mean that this problem wouldn't be able to be reproduced… (I'm going to try that now).

In reality, I should have never even responded to this request, there is ample information in this thread for them to reproduce the problem in their own new data file provide that they can get access to a Citi Costco Anywhere account to log into and set it up with Citi Cards/Direct Connect.

OK, I tested the copy, and sure enough because the account is now not connected for downloading of transactions on for that account/Citi Cards/Direct Connect, it is back to this state:

Where you have to first set it up for downloading of transactions, which in turn leads you either have to set it up as Express Web Connect (and it won't crash, but will be unreliable) or with Citi Cards/Direct Connect where it will crash if you try to setup the online bill for it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jeff2r
    jeff2r Member ✭✭
    Options

What's the status of this? It's affecting me too.

This discussion has been closed.