Can I download my current Quicken file that’s on the Quicken web to a laptop?

Options
Katie Cameron
Katie Cameron Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Using Quicken on the Web

hello, a couple of weeks ago, my laptop died. I have since been having to use Quicken on the web by signing in there.

Now my laptop is fixed but it had to be wiped. I loaded the quicken for windows back on. Now I’m at the point of restoring from a file. The last full backup I have is from a oct 31st. However I have done a lot of things online since then. Is there a way to download or sync from the quicken online?

Best Answer

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just change the file extension of the backup file from .QDF-backup to .QDF and open in Quicken. Please make a Windows copy of the backup file first.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Katie Cameron,

Unfortunately, no. While data can move in both directions with an already established data file on the desktop program, data cannot be restored from Quicken on the Web into a new data file as Quicken on the Web only serves as a companion app and not a backup service.

For more information, please refer to this support article regarding the Quicken Cloud.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Quicken Anja - What you say is true with regard to a new data file. But it sounds like @Katie Cameron wants to restore a backup of the file that was already setup for syncing to Mobile/Web. Wouldn't restoring that backup file (not a new file), which was already set up for syncing to that particular Cloud Account allow for the transactions/edits that were entered in Quicken on the Web since 10/31 to be synced with that restored backup file?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Katie Cameron
    Options

@Quicken Anja , if I restore the 10/31 backup and then sync, will the more recent items in my register download from the cloud to the restored file? I don’t want any information to get lost.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Boatnmaniac & @Katie Cameron in regard to restoring a backup, unfortunately no. It would not sync with the previous cloud account since restoring the backup file would also restore as a “new” data file with a different dataset ID (basically like a copied file of the original file) and new cloud account.

Hope this clarifies things, and I apologize for not having better news to share in that regard.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Katie Cameron
    Options

@Quicken Anja , so what should I do? Still restore the old file but then write down everything from the web to manually enter?

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might work since it would still use the same Cloud Account but not being a Mobile/Web user it is apparent that I still have a lot to learn about it.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just change the file extension of the backup file from .QDF-backup to .QDF and open in Quicken. Please make a Windows copy of the backup file first.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think @Greg_the_Geek 's suggestion has the best chance at succeeding. I'm going to put in my thoughts on all the possibilities.

1. There isn't "direct restore" from Quicken Cloud for the if for no other reason that it doesn't have all the data that is in your Desktop data file.
    2. As @Quicken Anja points out Restore isn't a good option, because it purposely disconnects from the Quicken Cloud dataset and tries to reconstruct based on what it can download and such.
    3. @Greg_the_Geek suggestion, the internal file of a .QDF-backup is no different than a .QDF file, the type is used to trigger whether to do a back or open it in place. By changing it to a .QDF file you aren't breaking the connection with the Quicken Cloud dataset. But I have no idea it is smart enough to say "I have data in the Quicken Cloud dataset that isn't in the Quicken Desktop data file, sync it." It might or it might just not be able to figure it out or for that matter make bigger mess of the Quicken Desktop data file.
    4. One thing that has been suggested that might be helpful when a person completely lost their Quicken Desktop data file (and had no backups off of the computer) is that you can export transactions from the Quicken Web App in CSV file and then use my free program to convert that to a QIF file and import it. It may or may not be more of a hassle, than just reproducing what you are missing. You can find ImportQIF on my website: https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options

@Katie Cameron - Then, again, one needs to think of how much effort might be needed to put into this. Today is 11/18. The backup file is from 10/31. That's just an 18 days window that needs to be filled in on the backup file.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably give @Greg_the_Geek's suggestion the 1st shot and see if that works. It would be easy and fast to do.

If it doesn't then I think I probably would then run OSU (assuming you download transactions from your financial institutions) using the file you'd opened per @Greg_the_Geek's suggestion or with the restored backup file. Then manually fill in any missing transactions or data and then delete and set up your Quicken on the Web from scratch, again.

If you don't download transactions from your financial institutions and if you have a lot of transactions to fill in that date gap, try using @Chris_QPW's tool. But if you don't have a lot of transactions for this 11/1-11/18 window, maybe it would be faster and easier to simply manually enter them into the data file. Once, again, both of these options will require you to delete and set up your Quicken on the Web from scratch, again.

• Katie Cameron
    Options

@Greg_the_Geek how do I change the file extension? I can rename the file in my folder, but I don’t see how to change the file type. I’m using windows 10.

• Katie Cameron
    Options

never mind, I figured it out

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Unneeded.

Signature:
  • Katie Cameron
    Options

Changing the file type and opening and syncing WORKED! Thank you all so much!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's great news. Something that might be useful to others in the same situation.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.