One Step Update "an error has occurred"

Options

When I try to update my Wells Fargo accounts I get a message "an error has occurred" and on transactions are downloaded. There is no error code or any other indication of the problem. I have tried to reset the accounts and even deactivated and reactivated them with no change.

I have another Quicken file that is able to update other Wells Fargo accounts without any trouble. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Greg Tichenor,

This sounds like there could be an issue with the online connection between Wells Fargo and Quicken.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password

After completing these steps, please attempt to run a One Step Update again.

Let me know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Kenr43
    Kenr43 Member ✭✭
    Options

I get the same error when I update my Fidelity account. I tried the fix above but the error still exists.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Kenr43,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. What kind of Fidelity account is this (investment, credit card, banking, etc)? When did the issue start? Are you able to provide a screenshot of the error you're getting, with any personal information redacted? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Kenr43
    Kenr43 Member ✭✭
    Options

This is an investment account. It has been happening on every update for approximately the last 10 days. Thanks for your help. Here is a screenshot:

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have a data file that works, then the problem is not the Quicken program or Quicken servers. Restore a backup from a time when you weren't experiencing connection issues.

• Kenr43
    Kenr43 Member ✭✭
    Options

Obviously, I don't know what is causing the problem, so I took your advice and restored from backup. I started by selecting a backup from 1/2/2024. After fully restoring the backup I attempted an update of the Fidelity account and got the same error message as before. Thinking the problem could have started before this, I did a second restoration using a file from 12/15/2023 and a third restoration from a file dated 12/04/2023. After every successful restoration I still get the Fidelity error. I positively know that the error did not originally exist back in early December last year.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• Kenr43
    Kenr43 Member ✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, neither the validate nor the super validate procedures worked. I still get the same 'an error has occurred' message when I do an update for Fidelity. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Since you already tried restoring from a backup, and that did not resolve the issue, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file, which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates. (Note: You would not want to "shrink" your file unless you believe that older transactions are causing the issue.)

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file, and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID. (Note: I'd recommend reconnecting just the Fidelity account(s) first to verify if the issue is resolved before reconnecting any other account)

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Kenr43
    Kenr43 Member ✭✭
    Options

I completed your recommendation above to create a new copy of my data file. As you said, all of my sign in data was gone so I reconnected the Fidelity account and tried an update. IT WORKED! However, because I have approx 20 connected files and didn't relish having to recreate all of the sign-ins, I decided to re-open my original data file and think about my next steps for a while. On a whim, in the original file I retested the Fidelity update. I still got the error message, so again on a whim, I decided to deactivate the online services for Fidelity. When I did this and then re setup the online services for Fidelity and ran an update, the update worked perfectly with no errors. Looks like the solution to the problem is as simple as deactivating and resetting up online services rather than the various methods I tried earlier. Anyway, I'm happy, and appreciate your help. I probably wouldn't have tried this solution if I hadn't gone through setting up the online services in my 'copy' file and seeing that it worked there.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

I'm glad to hear deactivating and reconnecting the account got it to finally work properly.

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.