Daily stock price updates not working right

Options
HowardSpindel
HowardSpindel Member ✭✭
edited January 31 in Investing (Windows)

As of a couple days ago, downloading today's daily stock prices overwrites the previous days stock prices with the same price as the current day.

Not only does this cause loss of historical data, but it also makes it impossible to see the change today from the previous day.

Hope this gets fixed pronto!

Comments

• joegeary
    joegeary Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Very Frustrating

• Melvinf
    Melvinf Member
    Options

same issue here. This needs fixing immediately

• Jake S
    Jake S Member ✭✭
    Options

same with me

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Let's do some troubleshooting to see if we can help Quicken narrow down this problem.

With this problem, are all the recent historic prices for affected securities off by one day, or are the wrong prices corrected 2 days later?

For example, say updating quotes on Wednesday evening causes the prices previously recorded for Tuesday to be changed to the Wednesday closing price. If you don't correct the Tuesday price but update again on Thursday, is the price recorded for Tuesday still wrong, or is it corrected?

Also does it matter what time of day you do the update? For example, if you update quotes on Wednesday morning before the markets open, does it change previously recorded Tuesday closing prices? Does it change Monday prices?

For Premier and up users, please go to Edit > Preferences > Investing and see if the the Real time quotes box is checked. Does the problem change or go away if you un-check that box?

BTW the main discussion of this issue is here

QWin Premier subscription
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jim_Harman

As you probably know, I've been posting info on my experiences with this, and related issues, to the discussion you referenced above. My intent is the same as yours - to gather a body of knowledge that may help Q address the problem ASAP. Makes sense to refer everyone posting about it to that discussion.

To answer one of your questions, I'm unsure of what would happen a couple of days later as I do corrections every evening. It already takes too long to accomplish that nightly, let alone allowing it to accumulate over a period of 2 or 3 days. I can tell you that last night, some correct data downloaded at 6 was overwritten at 11. I can also tell you that incorrect (as in flat-out wrong, not today's in place of yesterday's) prices I manually corrected at 6 were not overwritten.

I've seen sporadic one-offs of this issue for several years, usually occurring with mutual funds (which, thankfully, don't seem to be affected in the current situation). In most cases (but not every), they DID self correct on subsequent downloads, usually within minutes. Always made me wonder how Quicken's quotes process worked as in "do they overwrite every prior day quote then correct them?" I think enough info has been posted to dispel that theory, but this problem is exposing a kludgy process that's prone to breaking down, and has.

Just curious - are you experiencing it? I can't get a handle on how widespread it is or isn't. I continue to be amazed at the lack of noise about it in this community. It continually makes me question whether its a local problem that only a small minority of us are seeing. Sure hope that's not the case.

• Jim_Harman
    edited December 2023
    Options

@mrzookie

To answer your questions, I think most Quicken users do not check their security prices every day and thus do not see this problem. Also I suspect (but have not verified) that it is self-correcting, i.e. if Tuesday's price was over-written on Wednesday and you did not correct things manually, it reverts to the correct price on Thursday.

I have seen and reported a variety of quote issues over the years, but they do not seem to be a high priority for the Quicken folks to fix.

If you want to dig into this, the most recent quote download can be found in the file \ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\<your data file name>\quotes.var

It is a text file so it is easy to interpret.

See this discussion for more information

• cumminj
    cumminj Member ✭✭
    Options

I also have the same issue that Ed V stated in September and here it is Dec 2023 with R53's latest. Noticed Turkey Day was posted and Sunday's. Previous day's prices are getting overlaid with todays prices. I have turned off Auto updates (12/5) and Real time Quotes (12/9) since I noticed the issue. On 12/5 I edited/deleted single days. Later in week, I deleted/restored 5 days, then moved to 30 day deletion/restore per affected securities. I tried to restore without deleting first, but it did not overlay prices. Also tried to restore prices for all securities selected, but only restored first selection. After restoring all securities prices with errors. I took a manual backup and then did a manual quote update only to have it revert back to the today's prices overlaying previous days. I have noticed it is not with all securities, but with only with a quarter of the securities. I have around 140 securities that are updated when requested (auto or manual). Getting late and I have dedicated most of my Saturday to this and I am still not finished. Got to figure out the restore file process to go back to my check-point backup status. Also had thoughts of going back to previous Quicken versions.

• Steven
    Steven Member ✭✭
    Options

I update my quotes every day when the stock market is open no earlier than 6:45-7 pm. Up to a few days ago all the quotes that were supposed to download did so with the closing prices of that day. At the end of the month I also manually update my bond prices since they do not download automatically. What I do notice is when I then subsequently download the stock quotes that same evening many of them fail to update and I then have to do it manually. Not sure there is any relationship here with the current issue.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jim_Harman

I took a look at the quotes.var file. It does, indeed, have the correct quotes for the last 5 days FOR STOCKS. So, assuming that this file doesn't include any edits done manually in the QDATA file, I suppose there is a possibility that misapplied CORRECT quotes may self-correct at some point. I'm going to leave a few of these quotes uncorrected for the next few days and track their progress.

I have other prior day quotes that being overwritten with INCORRECT quotes. These quotes are clearly related to the stock in question but are off by a few cents to a few dollars depending on the price of the security. I see no evidence of those quotes in the .var file. I'm going to have to pay more attention to the High/Low values and see if there's any relation there, although I don't think that's it. And, to complicate matters, I've noticed that stocks may have a misapplied correct quote one day and a wrong quote the next (or vv). This is not a simple problem.

What I also saw in the file doesn't bode well for the other problem we discussed a while back which is that some prior-day EFT prices are being overwritten with the current day NAV (a figure you correctly identified). Those NAVs ARE in the .VAR file where the prices should be which tells me they are being provided by the quote provider and will not self correct. It also tells me the problem is more widespread and, as we suspect, most people just don't notice it. I didn't until the original overwrite problem cropped up in September.

Thanks for you help

• Jim_Harman
    Options

It would certainly be useful to know for sure whether the incorrect data is coming from the quote provider in the quotes.var file or from some other source.

There is a separate problem discussed in the post I linked above where the Price Day Change was sometimes displayed as zero in the Portfolio views even though the price history was correct. As far as I know that was never fixed. I have not seen any reports of that recently, but they may be mixed in with the current quote over-writing problem. It corrects itself if you set the As of date back by one day then forward to the original date, so it is a problem with Quicken not recalculating when it should.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've seen the problem you described above for a long time. I've always attributed it to being a screen display issue. It seems to have gotten worse lately, but it may well be that bc I'm going back and forth so much I'm just seeing it more often. While I don't think its related to the overwrite problem, it does seem to occur with those quotes more frequently.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-8409)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina Logs and sanitized file sent. They should also look at the quotes.var file, which I offered to send if they contact me.

• cumminj
    cumminj Member ✭✭
    Options

I contacted support today. Support had me move my database file off of Microsoft's ONEDRIVE and place it on my C DRIVE (Documents/Quicken folder). I think I recall when going to WIN10 that ONEDRIVE came into existence or shortly after being pestered into using ONEDRIVE.

So I have ran the portfolio UPDATE button (quotes) option once from the Portfolio display this Monday. Checked the Portfolio for display errors, there were none. Checked the (Edit Price History) on a few low change securities. No invalided prices found. No Sunday entries recorded.

I will only update quotes from the portfolio display for a few days. When comfortable I will move to 'auto quote update every 15 minutes'. Support recommended leaving the Real Time quote box unchecked. Not sure if Real Time Quote is involved.

For now after restoring price history for 25 to 30 securities and moving Quicken Data File off the ONEDRIVE cloud, I seem to be back in business with this Classic financial Software. I'll repost if this securities price issue returns.

• cumminj
    cumminj Member ✭✭
    Options

I forgot to mention on my previous post, that when starting up quicken on Monday there was an auto software update initiated and it completed successfully. I am now on Version R53.26 Build 27.1.23.26

• Steven
    Steven Member ✭✭
    Options

I just did an update of my quicken account. It first did a software update to the latest version as above. All my securities did update successfully with the correct closing quote as of today. However, and although there was a price change on all the quotes, most of them did not reflect the correct price change from Friday's close. At least not was seen online. For instance, Microsoft closed on Friday at 370.95 and closed today at 371.30. A price change of up .35. In my account it closed correctly at 371.30 but showed a price change of down 2.93. Where it got that from is unknown to me. It did show the correct closing price on Friday when I updated the account. How this discrepancy affects the overall price history or portfolio performance is difficult to say. I would guess at this point not accurately. At least the value of the stock/mutual fund part of my portfolio is correct as of today. We will see what happens tomorrow.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Steven,

Msft's closing price on Friday was $374.23; today's was $371.30, loss of $2.93/shr. Your correct Friday price was overwritten with a seemingly random price of $370.95. I've been dealing with this for weeks. What's curious is that my Friday price was not overwritten, so I have the correct $2.93 loss today. Could be because I did a manual edit of the msft price to deal with another related issue (prior day price overwritten with current day price) and you didn't. I don't think manual edits can be overwritten.

The fact that the current day account value is correct obscures the problem bc the current day quotes are good. You have to compare the total account daily $ gain/loss vs what your brokerage account is showing to see if there is a problem.

• Steven
    Steven Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, you are now correct. Quicken seemed to have self-corrected itself since my earlier post. All my stock quotes now show the correct price changes from Friday to today. I'm sorry you were having this problem for weeks. I do not believe I was having this same problem until recently although I may not have realized it until now. Let's hope this issue has been fixed. We will have the answer on tomorrow's update. I will also compare my brokerage accounts to my quicken accounts for accuracy. I usually do that anyway at the end of the month.

• cumminj
    cumminj Member ✭✭
    Options

Prices are correct now using manual portfolio UPDATE the last couple of days. Now adding back in the Auto quotes update every 15 mins. This is using the EDIT Preferences approach. Will update you'all in a few.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I had a bunch of incorrect prior-day overwrites yesterday, but they self-corrected later in the evening. Todays numbers were good. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

• Derek Marsano
    Options

I'm using Quicken Premier. Every so often, my portfolio value is way off, usually too high. Upon investigation, I find that SOME securities have incorrect prices in the price history. Today, for example, I am finding that a few dozen (out of hundreds) of securities have 5 days' worth of incorrect data. Why does this happen?

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Three days in a row wrong stock prices have self-corrected later in the evening. It's progress.

Some more progress. I was contacted by someone from Quicken Product Development today (if you reported the problem, you may have been contacted as well). They requested more information. I sent them a detailed description on this and its related problems, along with var files, synch and ofx logs. Sounds like we at least have their attention. Fingers crossed.

• Jim_Harman
    edited December 2023
    Options

I was also contacted by a Quicken developer and tried to send the data on this problem but the send failed. This may be because there are no connected accounts and some log files are missing.

The send succeeded after un-checking the logs. Here is the information I sent. I had to convert the quotes.var file to PDF to attach it here.

Security = VTI and other stocks and ETFs.

This is a test file, no personal data and no connected accounts.

Updating quotes at 7:51 AM EST, before market opens, quote and price history for today 12/19 show price = yesterday's close, high and low = 0, volume = 306 shares.

This may explain some or all of the price history data with no High and Low and very low Volume that people have been seeing. This apparently reflects after-hours trading.

Real time Quotes is not checked.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I did an update this morning, something I never do. I did it bc yesterday's stock prices did not self-correct for the first time in 4 days, so I wanted to see if a morning dload would do it (no such luck). But I did get another present (sarcasm). 4 new ETFs, all Vanguard, popped up with yesterday's quotes overwritten. The price histories have the same profile as what you posted above - zero high/low plus miniscule volume (in the case of VGT, 331), but in my case had 4-digit decimals, which is why I recognized them immediately. I've never seen that configuration before, and looking back at their histories for 2 years shows nothing like it. Yesterday was an "on" day for ETF prices - all were exactly correct. If recent history holds, that means today will be an "off" day and yesterday's prices will be overwritten with today's NAVs. I'm hoping what happened with the Vanguard funds this morning was just a fluke. Last thing I need is more problem quotes.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Update:

It appears that if you update quotes in the morning before the market opens, Quicken updates the most recent previously recorded entry in the Price History for stocks and ETFs to High and Low = 0, Volume = some low number, probably representing after-hours trading. The volume number increases if you update again before the market opens.

The previous entry could be for the day before, the previous Friday if this is a Monday, or an earlier date if quotes have not been updated in recent days.

Updating quotes again after the market opens leads to the High, Low, and volume for the previous day being shown again in the price history, but the numbers are different than they were in the evening after yesterday's close. Perhaps they are now including the after-hours trading.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I think you're right @Jim_Harman. The price history for every ETF I own and checked this AM looks the same.

I almost think that the prior day overwrites are an intentional part of Quicken's update process and it's the self-correction step that's broken down. Makes no sense, but it would explain a lot.

• Jim_Harman
    edited December 2023
    Options

Another issue I am seeing is that for some ETFs such as Vanguard's VCEB and VSGX, the closing price and volume are correct every other day. On alternate days, the price recorded in Quicken's price history is the NAV price rather than the closing trading price, and the Volume is zero.

The issue with ETF prices alternating between closing prices and NAV has been going on at least since 2017. The volume of 0 started on 9/27/2023 for both of the above funds.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jim_Harman THANK YOU! for validating what I've been posting about for the past few weeks. In my case, lot of the ETFs in question started having this problem on October 3, but yes, a handful look like they've had it on and off for at least a couple of years.

• cumminj
    cumminj Member ✭✭
    Options

Reporting back after a week or so. I still have 'Real Time Quotes' unchecked, but the auto price update every 15 minutes is 'Checked'. I perform the 'One Step Update' daily in the MT AM and then 2-3 hours after market close to update Mutual Funds. After a couple of weeks I have not seen an issue with invalid pricing. Now that the year has closed I might turn on 'Real Time Quotes', but I'll wait until I have the time to clean up prices, if that should happen.

I am disappointed to hear others are still experiencing invalid pricing, thankful I'm not one of the others.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I still see the incorrect pricing on some days, but most of the time it self-corrects. Unfortunately, there's no consistency as to when it does that. Sometimes its 5PM (Eastern), sometimes 8PM, sometimes after 10. But, its progress.

This discussion has been closed.