Can you keep one file for business and personal finances if business is a sole proprietorship?

Options
ezreub
ezreub Member

I work on Quicken Personal and Business for Mac and I'm wondering if my wife's sole proprietorship should be tracked in a separate file or whether we can track it in our household file since we file taxes jointly and this is a sole proprietorship with her tax ID attached to it. I'd prefer to keep everything in one file and don't see a problem, given that it's not a separate tax entity, but I wanted to confirm.

Answers

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do in the Personal ver (no Business ver) in QM2007. I see no issue. You just have to make sure you differentiate the transactions that are personal vs the proprietorship, e.g. using Tags. Then create reports accordingly. The only I cannot speak to is if you use the tax forms.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, Since the sole proprietor is a disregarded entity and filed with your personal tax return on schedule C, you should keep it in your personal Quicken data file.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How the taxes for the business is the key here.

Since the taxes for this business are filed using the tax forms associated with a personal tax return, then the data for the business should be in the same Q data file as the personal data.

The IRS, in this situation, considers the business and the individuals to be a single tax entity.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• ezreub
    ezreub Member
    Options

Well, that's unanimous. Thanks to all! That's a big help.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

While I generally agree with what's been said, I'll offer the opposing argument anyway — because I've done it the other way in the past. 😀

Long before there was a business version on the Mac, my wife operated her own business, and there were a few reasons we operated with two separate Quicken Mac data files for personal and business. One was purely practical: she needed to access Quicken for her business operations when she was at work, and we didn't want to move a single data file back and forth every day. The other is that she had clients, bills, receivables, an employee on payroll (and payroll withholding to file), etc. and e didn't want to clutter our personal data with hundreds of her business transactions, payees, categories, etc. We decided it was easier to treat her business as its own entity in its own Quicken file. When she took her draw/paid herself, that has to be recorded in both her data file (the expenditure) and our personal data file (the deposit), but otherwise, records were kept separately. It didn't matter that her business wasn't a separate tax entity; the data we needed for our annual tax return — the Schedule C data from her business — was easily obtainable from reports in her data file. And it didn't complicate entering our data into TurboTax for the preparation of our taxes.

That approach worked well for us for all the years she was in business for herself. And after she took a different job and closed her business, it was nice to wrap that up in Quicken and not have the remnants of all her business transactions in our 30-year personal data file.

I'm not saying that doing it separately is the right way to go; I'm just explaining that it may be the right way depending on your circumstances. I think one factor may be the volume of transactions for the business — the more transactions there are, there more you may want things separate. If you and your wife need to use Quicken concurrently, or daily/nearly daily on two different Macs in two different locations, that's another factor that might weigh in favor of separate files. But if those aren't hindrances and it helps you to keep things organized by using one data file for business and personal then, as the other comments have stated, you can absolutely do that. And as the developers build more functionality for its Business & Personal version for the Mac, it will doubtless become better being used in that way.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.