Notes manually entered not are not displaying.

Options
johnbale
johnbale Member

The note field which I use to enter reminders for myself on the windows platform do not display in the mac version. Is there something I am doing wrong or do they not sync the data between the two platforms.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1 Answer ✓
    Options

If one is syncing from QWin to QWeb, it should be noted that Notes data in QWin does not get sync'd to QWeb. Instead, the "Notes" data in QWeb is the Memo data in QWin. At least that is what I understand from this 2022 Moderator post: Quicken WEB Version - MEMO not in column???.

But is it even possible to sync with QWeb from both QWin and QMac? If it is, then the Notes entered in QWin would not be synced into QMac because those Notes would never have been synced between QWin and QWeb to begin with. Does that logic make sense?

I do not know much about QMac but does QMac have both a Memo field and a Notes field for transactions like QWin does?

If this is not a QWeb deal, then maybe this Notes field is one of those things that gets lost in the conversion of a data file from QWin to QMac?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• johnbale
    johnbale Member
    Options

The note field which I use to enter reminders for myself on the windows platform do not display in the mac version. Is there something I am doing wrong or do they not sync the data between the two platforms. If anyone knows how this works between the two much help would be appreaciated.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It sounds like you're syncing the same data file to mobile/web on both Windows and Mac platforms. Is that correct? The program is not intended to be used this way and I believe you are setting yourself up for trouble if this is what you're doing. It will likely eventually lead to a corrupted database on one end or the other or both.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The program is not intended to be used this way and I believe you are setting yourself up for trouble if this is what you're doing.

I would disagree about that. ANY entered data should NEVER be lost. This is a shortcoming (BUG?!) of the current state of the software. That said, it is a good caveat to be aware that there are some odd circumstances where data is lost, like when using mobile/web sync.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    edited January 1
    Options

Yeah, "not intended" was not the best way to put it. But people definitely experience problems with mobile sync, like data getting lost, categories screwed up. And that's just between Mac and web or Mac and mobile. I have sync turned off and don't use it for these reasons.

If there are problems with sync between Mac and web/mobile, I can't imagine how bad the problems might be syncing between Mac and Windows. And that said, intended or not, I doubt the developers envision or planned for users syncing between Mac and Windows. I think they probably consider that to be a far to the edge use case.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

One thing I'll add. In Quicken Windows, Memo and Notes are two separate fields, but in Quicken Mac there is only one Memo/Notes field. So I'm not at all surprised that there are issues when attempting to sync one of those to the other.

Anyway, I think @RickO had it right the first time. It's my understanding that cloud syncing was only intended to sync a desktop file with mobile & web, and not to keep two desktop files on two different computers in sync, let alone sync from Windows to Mac or vice versa.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited January 1 Answer ✓
    Options

If one is syncing from QWin to QWeb, it should be noted that Notes data in QWin does not get sync'd to QWeb. Instead, the "Notes" data in QWeb is the Memo data in QWin. At least that is what I understand from this 2022 Moderator post: Quicken WEB Version - MEMO not in column???.

But is it even possible to sync with QWeb from both QWin and QMac? If it is, then the Notes entered in QWin would not be synced into QMac because those Notes would never have been synced between QWin and QWeb to begin with. Does that logic make sense?

I do not know much about QMac but does QMac have both a Memo field and a Notes field for transactions like QWin does?

If this is not a QWeb deal, then maybe this Notes field is one of those things that gets lost in the conversion of a data file from QWin to QMac?

• RickO
    Options

As @Jon indicates above, there's only one field in QMac and it's called "Memo/Notes" in most places. There is a bit of inconsistency, because in a few places (e.g., when entering a split line, it's just called "Notes").

Never having used QWin, I wasn't aware that there are two separate fields for these. As such, it doesn't surprise me that only one would sync. I also don't know what happens when you do a conversion from QWin to QMac. Does it import just the Memo field, just the Notes field, or somehow combine them?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It's unclear to me if you're trying to use Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac on an ongoing basis? Via cloud syncing? That's just not possible. Quicken Windows to Mac or Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows is built for one-way conversions. You can't sync between platforms.

If that's not the issue, then please give us a little more information about the issue. Were you referring to a one-time migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac in which notes were lost?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2
    Options

@RickO -

Never having used QWin, I wasn't aware that there are two separate fields for these. As such, it doesn't surprise me that only one would sync. I also don't know what happens when you do a conversion from QWin to QMac. Does it import just the Memo field, just the Notes field, or somehow combine them?

The standard field in QWin is Memo. Notes is a hidden filed that must be optionally selected as a column to be included in the account register to be visible and used. I've never found much use for Notes because while you can put information in it there's not much else, IMO, that it is good for since you cannot filter reports with it and, in fact, most reports don't even have an option to include it.

I do not know if Notes is included when converting to QMac but my guess is that it probably does not and that only the Memo field converts.

• johnbale
    johnbale Member
    Options

Ok thank you all for the feedback and everything else does work as far as the syncing between the files in the quicken cloud for each OS version and Online. All I did like any other cloud-based software was sign in with my username and password all the data just updates the same on either the online version, windows, or mac platform when pulling its data. When installing on the mac, I did import my .QDF back up windows file and there were no other issues except this note area not updating from the windows version to the cloud or on the mac version. As someone else mentioned on here and is correct there is a LABELING ISSUE. On the quicken windows platform the column is labeled "memo" which is the same as the column labeled "note" in the online platform and is also the same as column labeled "memo/note" on the mac platform. The issue I am having is the "note" column and "memo" column does not sync any data to the cloud to update the online version or the mac platform. When I type in either the mac platform labeled "memo/notes" or the online version labeled "note" the column changes do sync and update instantly but does nothing in the "memo" or "note" section of the windows version. The other issue is the "note column" in the windows version does not sync to the cloud to view either online or on a mac. Hopefully whomever works on this will read this and fix the problem with the columns being labeled differently and will allow the "notes" under windows to sync between all three versions. There isn't really a need to have both columns labeled "note" or "memo" since they serve the same purpose as a reminder of the transaction. The "TAG COLUMN" is the best example I can give anyone who reads this thread where the data being entered manually does sync across all 3 three platforms and is also labeled correctly "TAGS" on all three versions. The developers just need to make the "note" or "memo" or "memo/note" sync the same way as the "TAG COLUMN" syncs the data across all three.

• RickO
    Options

Regardless of the labeling, there are two separate fields in QWin and only one in QMac. Two fields cannot sync to one and it's clear now that it's the Memo field in QWin that syncs. Therefore, you should probably not be using the Notes field in QWin in your case.

As for the devs reading this and fixing it, that's not going to happen. This is a user to user community. If you want to report the issue, you can use the Help > Report a problem in QMac or the equivalent in QWin. However, this is a one way channel and you will not get any feedback. If you want to report this with feedback, the only way would be to contact Quicken Support (link at the top of this page).

You didn't answer the question about why are syncing between QWin and QMac. Perhaps it's because you have a desktop computer at home on one OS and a laptop on the other. As mentioned by several of us above, we don't think this use case is envisioned or supported by the developers. Therefore, I'd be very nervous about database corruption eventually happening. You may want to consider sticking with one or the other desktop platform and using sync to Quicken on the Web or Quicken Mobile for the other usage. (Although as mentioned above, even those are known to sometimes cause problems.)

This discussion has been closed.