How can I access one-step-update settings without having it do an update!

Options
GhostC
GhostC Member ✭✭

All I want to do is remove some accounts that are gone, and also stop auto-category assignment as it is really horrible (all "checks" are defined as state taxes, for example). I tried to follow the instructions elsewhere: 'Connected Services tab in Settings and uncheck "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories"'. I am still not sure I am even in the right settings (WHICH settings menu, found Where?). I assumed it is the settings option in one-step-update. I go to that, give my vault password, AND IT DOES AN UPDATE. Since it has dead accounts (and some are just slow), I wait forever for it to do something I don't want it to. How can I just get to that settings menu WITHOUT doing and update??

Version is Quicken Classic Business and Personal: R53.26, build 27.1.53.26

Thank you!

Best Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @GhostC,

To answer your question, go to Tools>One Step Update. If you have a vault password, it will ask you for that password. Click the Skip button. Once you do that, it will bring up the One Step Update Settings screen. Check/uncheck accounts as desired, click the Apply button, then click the Close button. This will update your One Step Update settings without actually running a One Step Update.

That said, if you have closed/inactive accounts that still think they're connected in Quicken, I would recommend that you backup your Quicken file and deactivate those accounts.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Another option to consider if you will not be doing OSU for these accounts at any time in the future:

Go to Tools > Account List > Edit (for one of the accounts in question) > Online Services tab > Deactivate. Repeat this process for each account in question. This will remove the account from PW Vault and OSU Settings. (You can always set them up for download, again, in the future if desired/needed.)

To disable auto-categorize: Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions > uncheck the box for Automatically categorize transactions > OK.

If you continue to have incorrect categories automatically populating your downloaded transactions you might want to consider deleting the Payees from the Memorized Payee list (Tools > Memorized Payee List).

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• GhostC
    GhostC Member ✭✭
    Options

A cancel option in the update would also help…

• GhostC
    GhostC Member ✭✭
    Options

I did finally find the disable option for the categories (all search results returned MAC answers unless I specified Windows), however the question on update settings stands…

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @GhostC,

To answer your question, go to Tools>One Step Update. If you have a vault password, it will ask you for that password. Click the Skip button. Once you do that, it will bring up the One Step Update Settings screen. Check/uncheck accounts as desired, click the Apply button, then click the Close button. This will update your One Step Update settings without actually running a One Step Update.

That said, if you have closed/inactive accounts that still think they're connected in Quicken, I would recommend that you backup your Quicken file and deactivate those accounts.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

On the Enter Password dialog you can also just select the Settings… button after entering your password (instead of Update Now or Enter). The trick though as like @Quicken Kristina said and use the Apply button on the One Step Update Settings dialog, not Update Now or Enter.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Another option to consider if you will not be doing OSU for these accounts at any time in the future:

Go to Tools > Account List > Edit (for one of the accounts in question) > Online Services tab > Deactivate. Repeat this process for each account in question. This will remove the account from PW Vault and OSU Settings. (You can always set them up for download, again, in the future if desired/needed.)

To disable auto-categorize: Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions > uncheck the box for Automatically categorize transactions > OK.

If you continue to have incorrect categories automatically populating your downloaded transactions you might want to consider deleting the Payees from the Memorized Payee list (Tools > Memorized Payee List).

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• GhostC
    GhostC Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for all the answers! The "skip" option explained the first frustration - though I am not 100% clear why they even have the update option in the update settings part of the menu, but as long as I can skip it I am good. I will be deleting the accounts, but some are just in transition and there have been times when there have been scheduled outages at some banks that I have to work around!

I also found the auto-categorize option per that message and I will see if I need to delete that memorized payees (per that suggestion) on my next download. Good information!

As I mentioned, what got me off to a bad start was the initial google search for answers, where many folks had the same question from 2023, and I did not realize these were all MAC forum/version answers, and they have different menus.

Thanks again!

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear your issues are resolved.

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.