Quicken 2001 on Windows 10 (Multi-currency in Switzerland)

Options
Lyndain
Lyndain Member

I've been running a UBS Quicken 2001 version for over 20 years and have flirted with upgrading to a more current version, but the lack of multi-currency support has prevented this.

With some hope I read a closed discussion started by KenGlos Member ✭✭ with comments and feedabck from splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭ and Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭ amongst others on in October 2023:

Quicken 2001 on Windows 11 Answered ✓ Closed KenGlos 278 views 28 comments Most recent by KenGlos October 2023 under File Conversion and Backup (Windows).

KenGlos's last post stated "Solved! Need to import the Q file (which I don't remember creating) rather than the MS one. I'll document this saga as I repeat the process on my target computer. That's shorthand, will document properly as I repeat on my target PC" BUT unfortunately I'm unable to find the documented process.

Can anyone point me to or help with this process description?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken 2004 (US) was the first version that supported multiple currencies. Before that, everything was thought to be in US-$.

If you wish to use multiple currencies, there's a free version of Quicken Deluxe 2013 available for download and install from a link within this discussion:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

As international user, I wouldn't go to a newer version than 2013. It has been reported that Q 2013 will run on Windows 11.

Be sure to retain extra copies of your Q 2001 data files somewhere safe. You don't want to accidentally overwrite your files while attempting conversion.
    If you created year end data files for prior years in addition to your current year's data file, be sure to take them along and let Quicken convert them to the 2013 data file format for you.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

FYI If you want to install 2013. You might have to go though a couple intermediate versions first to get to 2013. I’m staying on 2013. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. Then it should be more stable and run on newer computer systems.

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Lyndain
    Lyndain Member
    Options

Thank you both for your helpful and encouraging feedback.
    Quicken 2013 is my target version and I have already had a few attempts to get there using the guidance for going through intermediate versions you both also mention. My attempts (step 1) to install a backup file from my UBS Q2001 to a Q2004 version on a separate WIN7 PC failed. The restored file appeared to convert successfully, but would not open. ‘Could open file’ or similar messages.
    Have read the above mentioned discussion started by KenGlos in October 2023 (where you also provided feedback volvogirl), KenGlos's last post stated he had a resolution and that he would the process when he repeated it on his target PC BUT unfortunately I'm unable to find this documented process.

I’m playing with some workarounds using .QIF file exports, but it appears that the European date format is causing erroneous transaction dates (1919: 1920, etc.), but I will experiment further with smaller date ranges.

Still hoping to discover how KenGlos resolved the problem.

• Lyndain
    Lyndain Member
    Options

correction ‘could NOT open file’….

• Lyndain
    Lyndain Member
    Options

second correction: KenGlos's last post stated he had a resolution and that he would the DOCUMENT THE process 

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no such documented process in Quicken Community that I could find. Perhaps @KenGlos will join in this discussion thread and provide it here?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It looks like @KenGlos never came back to post that documentation, but I think the thread pretty much sums up what he did.

1. Install MS Money.
    2. Read in Quicken data file.
    3. "So I have installed Q2013, updated my 'Language for non-unicode Programs' to English US, restarted and imported the MS Money file seemingly successfully." Note that I'm pretty sure that the "import" calls MS Money in the background to do the actual conversion and that is why the Quicken data file just magically appears, it isn't done "in Quicken".
    4. Solved! Need to import (as open the Quicken data file) the Q file (which I don't remember creating) rather than the MS one

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.