I have Quicken 2017 deluxe without the subscription service

Bun
Bun Quicken Windows 2017 Member

I can no longer see anything because the online service expiration notice is covering everything up and I cannot get in to my own Quicken even though I have NEVER had the online service.

The Quicken support FAQ says thr following:

If, however, you do not need online services or live technical support, your current copy of Quicken will continue to work.

But it does NOT work

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes the expiration banner takes up about 25% of your screen but you should be able to use the program. What version do you have? But if you have the Starter Edition you can't use it.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this Canadian Quicken?

If that is not the case, then you should not be seeing a "online service expiration notice" banner if you really have 2017 installed.

We need two pieces of informaiton to help you:
    1: What is shown if you do Help→About Quicken. We need the edition (Starter, Deluxe, etc) and the build number, xx.xx.xx.xx.
    2: A screenshot of the notice would help.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

That FAQ you quoted applies to the Subscription software.

For pre-subscription software (which is no longer supported by Quicken) it used to state that you would be able to continue using it manually for as long as your system and installation supports it.

Unfortunately, Quicken 2017 is no longer supported (support was discontinued nearly 4 yrs ago) and some security changes made in support of Subscription software are not compatible with pre-subscription software. Pre-subscription software will still occasionally attempt to connect with your Quicken.com account (via the Cloud ID Account) and because of this change it caused the software to cease to function.

There is a way that has fixed this for some people but it requires that you must have an older copy the Quicken.ini file (from before when you first experienced this issue). If you have a system backup folder saved somewhere or if you have an older computer that you used to run your Quicken 2017 on, you might be able to find that older Quicken.ini file. If you can find that file then you can try to copy it and then paste it over the Quicken.ini file in your current system. It does not always fix the issue but some have said it does. (You can read more about this at How to reinstall Quicken 2017 - accidentally deleted it (edit).)

The only other way to resolve the issue that I know of is to upgrade to Quicken Classic Deluxe Subscription.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• Bun
    Bun Quicken Windows 2017 Member

It is not Canadian. It says it expired 4/30/2020 which is outdated and also, I never had the subscription service. If I click DONE to get rid of the notice, it goes to a big blank screen that completely covers Quicken. If I go to Help about quicken, it says Version R20.6 Build 26..20.6. I still have the original disc. I deleted it from my computer and re-installed it. Same problem.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16

Interesting….. as I don't see a version R20.6 -
    but looks like your software was updated from the original 2017 to something around July 2019 -

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes

• splasher

• Boatnmaniac

@Bun - As I'd mentioned above, even the pre-subscription versions will occasionally check in with your Quicken.com account (you have to have one or you would not ever have been able to install and use your QWin 2017 software) to ensure that you have a validly licensed & registered software. And when that happens with a pre-subscription version, the Quicken.ini file issue I'd mentioned comes into play. Uninstalling and reinstalling a pre-subscription version virtually ensures that it will not ever be able to be usable, again, unless you have a copy of an older Quicken.ini file that you can copy/past over the one that Quicken is now trying to use.

There is one other option that might work for you but the few responses I've seen regarding it (and I have not seen many) have not left me very optimistic about it. Still, it might be worth the effort of trying to do it. Here is the link to this other option: https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/blanklogin2014-2017.html .

If you don't have that older Quicken.ini file and if this alternate workaround does not work your options are very limited: Either upgrade to Subscription or stop using Quicken. Sorry, I wish I had better news for you on this matter.

(BTW, you are not alone in experiencing this issue. If you do a search for people who have been running QWin 2014 - QWin 2017 you will see there are a fair number of folks who have already faced the exact same issue as you.)

• Bob29r
    Bob29r Quicken Windows 2017 Member

On 2017 Windows version here. This morning, for the first time, I got the pop up banner about Connected Services expired in 2020. I just kept choosing (like 5 times) the File option in upper left on the banner which allowed me to restore a recent backup file. It failed and reverted to the banner about 4 attempts and the 5th it magically opened to my ledger. Why on Jan 28, 2024 did this banner almost shut me down? I have never used Connected Services, only in manual mode since purchase. I think I'll backup more often and continue till it dies, then signup for the Classic at $60/year.

• JoelC
    JoelC Quicken Canada Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

@Boatnmaniac , I recall back in the day one could simply edit an INI file. Is there no way to write over the offending settings in the existing INI file without having to dig up an old one?

• Boatnmaniac

There is a link at the bottom of the post thread I referenced above and am reposting here (How to reinstall Quicken 2017 - accidentally deleted it (edit)) that will take you to a non-Quicken site that should answer your question. We should refrain from discussing it in more detail in this forum.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

@Bob29r said:

Why on Jan 28, 2024 did this banner almost shut me down?

I have a guess at why this just started happening. Whether people realize it or not, the old versions of Quicken don't just stop connecting to the Quicken servers when there are past their support time. So, there is always "listening" for updates and notifications unless the user block it with disabling the Internet connection (or for Wifi using Airplane mode) or blocking it in their firewall.

Quicken Inc just raised the price of Quicken Subscription on 1/25/2024. No doubt they sent out a "notification" to all non-up to date subscription versions about this. That is my guess on what triggered this.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JoelC

@Chris_QPW I may be in the minority but when a user bought a non-subscription version they should be able to use it indefinitely. That is the terms under which it was sold and that should be teh forever terms of usage (I do understand that on-line access is for a limited period as I did get caught by that).

• Chris_QPW

You are certainly not alone in that belief, but the "terms of use" specify that in fact it can stop working at any time.

Signature:
  • JoelC

@Chris_QPW

You are certainly not alone in that belief, but the "terms of use" specify that in fact it can stop working at any time.

Just because the "terms of use" say that does not make it fair or right.

• Chris_QPW

Totally agree. but that certainly doesn't seem to change Quicken Inc's (or Intuit's) mind about how to run their business.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW

BTW ironic twist. In 2014 when Intuit added the Quicken Id (which I might add they did in the middle of the year). I was very vocal in the forum to state what this meant. That at any time if the Intuit server went away there were going to be problems, especially when reinstalling.

That barely got a ripple in reaction from anyone. Except maybe one smart SuperUser @volvogirl. 😉👍

And I also had been around long enough to know that in the past Quicken had various "registrations", mostly for the promotion CDs sent out, that years later wouldn't work, but another former SuperUser had worked out that if you saved the Quicken.ini file that has the registration information in it, you could play tricks to get it to "be registered", and as such that is the basis for trying the same kind of thing for Quicken 2014 to 2015 to "register" without having to log into the Intuit/Quicken Id. So, I actually said to save that too in those warnings.

The ironic twist is that I got caught by this. Note I was only using the older versions for testing problems others were reporting (using in a VM), but I too had become complacent and not saved the Quicken.ini file from these different versions, and then it hit. And I'm one of the people that have never been able to get it to work again.

Signature:
  • splasher
    edited January 28

The following is from the bottom of https://www.quicken.com/support/internal-what-do-if-customer-wants-unsubscribe-quicken-marketing-email-notifications Bolding added. I'm sure it is other places, this is just one place I saw it recently.

Quicken is a registered trademark of Rocket Mortgage, LLC, used under license. iPhone, iPod, iPad Touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Dropbox, PayPal, Yelp, and other parties’ marks are trademarks of their respective companies. Terms, conditions, features, availability, pricing, fees, service and support options subject change without notice. Corporate Headquarters: 3760 Haven Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025

It kind of says it all, they can do anything they want to, any time they want to.

• JoelC

@splasher agreed but again, that does not make it right. I strongly believe that if I buy (i.e., not a subscription) a software package at time x then it should continue to run as it did at the x. I hate to say this — because I am not a MSFT fanboy — but older non subscription versions of office can still be run without any issues.

• Chris_QPW

I will point out one thing though, it is actually rare that someone comes on here wanting to run it exactly how they did before. Their machine has crashed or then want to move to a newer operating system or such. So, there isn't any way a company can promise something is going to work forever.

And I do believe Quicken Inc didn't actively break this, they "just can't be concerned about "noncustomers"", as in they wanted to make a change to the server and did it. It works with the supported software, and as far as they are concerned, they are just "moving forward".

And frankly, I have that same viewpoint on my software (to a point). I used to charge for the advanced features of ImportQIF, mostly just to recoup my expenses for it (one payment for life, which BTW is a terrible business model, and one that is sure to get you to go out of business if you really have to make a profit). But more and more because of the anti-virus software mostly against the install, which was required to have any kind of working system that forced a payment, it was becoming way more of a pain to support that. So, I made it free for all features and went from there. From that point on, I removed the system for getting the "activation" codes that were locked to a given machine. If the user needs to put it on a new machine they have to go to the free version.

The fact that I made it free means that I have never got a complaint that I should still make the old versions work. But I could have also died, and the free version would have never happened. Things happen, and a company has to make a profit to survive, and they can't control the world.

I have seen people come into Quicken forums and as "How can you do this, I'm a loyal 20-year customer! I have been using Quicken 2000 for 20 years and now you do this!" To a business, people that aren't paying aren't customers.

Signature:
  • JoelC

@Chris_QPW, I hear you, I agree with you. There is probably a middle ground that guarantees it will work for n years, whatever n is. Worth noting, this is essentially the Apple model which has either a 5 or 7 year minimum compatibility lifespan for its computers (i.e. I kept my previous MacBook Air from 2012 to 2021 at which point it no longer supported the newest macOS, I did not feel cheated by Apple, I got 9 years of upgrades!)

• Chris_QPW

@JoelC Even though their terms and conditions don't say it, I have never seen either Intuit or Quicken Inc violate the "Three years support from the time the product is released." that all the old versions were released under. People just got use to the fact that Quicken usually still worked decades later.

Signature:
  • JoelC

@Chris_QPW appreciate teh added information, I was unaware.

• Chris_QPW

In fact, if one bought Quicken 2017 in January of 2017 (you could buy it in November of 2016) and your computer failed or you needed to install on a new computer right after they changed the servers which was about in the middle of 2023 you would have had a service life of about 5 1/2 years. If the person had stayed on Quicken 2014 the service life would have been 8 1/2 years.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.