Download Issues- Downloading scores of OLD Transactions along with current ones

Options
sfrolls01
sfrolls01 Member ✭✭✭

OSU is taking 8-10 minutes this morning and downloading scores if previously Reconciled transactions for 2022 and 2023.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @sfrolls01,

Is this occurring with a specific financial institution? Are you receiving any error codes or messages?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• sfrolls01
    sfrolls01 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jasmine, No error messages or codes. Happening with all 5 accounts I have at Bank of America (7 previously reconciled transactions) and 1 Chase credit card. (307 previously reconciled transactions)

• Tmontz
    Tmontz Member
    Options

Same thing happens with my Chase downloads. Downloads over 6000 previously downloaded transactions.

Sometimes adds or subtracts transactions changing balance.

I am on windows 11

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

Is this happening after accounts have been reconnected or connected via a different connection method, or just randomly happening when you run one step update? Are all accounts with the financial institutions you listed affected or just some? Are these transactions duplicating other transactions that had previously downloaded? If so, were the previous transactions downloaded through Quicken, or were they imported into Quicken using a .QFX file?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• sfrolls01
    sfrolls01 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Kristina, As for my situation, it worked fine one day and the very next day the problems I described in my original post occurred. No changes in connection method. Just running OSU as I always have done. They were all transactions I had reconciled previously. All of the accounts that use the Web Connect+ were affected. No problems with accounts using direct connect. None were from importing using a .QFX file.

As a matter of fact the Wed Connect+ protocol has been the cause of all my MANY Quicken problems since it's inception!

• tdeal11
    tdeal11 Member
    Options

Exact same problem. OSU extremely slow, than a bunch of old transactions from 2022 showed up. This was with Bank of America.

• DHBuck
    DHBuck Member ✭✭
    Options

I encountered the same problem. First time it happened after reauthorizing a Citi account on that account only. After updating to release R54.9 it happened to all my active accounts, US Bank, Chase, Discover and B of A.

• rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

Anyone else having problems with getting duplicate transactions when doing One Step Update? This just started today, Saturday, 01/20/2024. Duplicate transactions from 2022-2023 were downloaded for my Chase and Discover card accounts. My Chase account use EWC+ for downloading and Discover uses EWC. I simply deleted those transactions in the download lists, so they never got entered into the registers. My Direct Connect accounts had no issues. I ran One Step Update again all seems OK. I'm running Quicken Classic Premier Version 54.9, Build 27.1.54.9.

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

When did you first notice this issue? Do you recall which version of Quicken you were using when the issue started? Do the duplicate transactions have the same Downloaded ID as the original transaction in the register? To check that, if you don't have the Downloaded ID column visible in your register, go to the gear icon near the upper right. Select register columns from the menu. Put a checkmark next to Downloaded ID. Then click Done, and that column will be visible in your register.

I look forward to your replies!

Quicken Kristina

• DHBuck
    DHBuck Member ✭✭
    Options

Kristina, I updated to Version R54.9 Build 27.1.54.9 this morning (1/20/24) and that was the first sign of this problem. My program is not offering the download ID as you described in your msg. Most of the duplicated transactions have dates vary from my register by a day or two.

• hobiemountaincats
    hobiemountaincats Member ✭✭
    edited January 21
    Options

All Express Web Connect accounts are now not working and pulling down 2022 and 2023 transactions that have already been cleared and reconciled.

System goes into Not Responding mode and progress indicator does not turn, Windows Task Manager shows Power usage in the Red but CPU and Memory not excessive.

Experiencing this with Discover Card as well as PayPal accounts and other Express Web Connect accounts.

Worked perfectly yesterday and broke today after update to R54.9 Build 27.1.54.9 on Windows 10 Enterprise Quicken Classic Premier.

Please help!

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited January 21
    Options

Hello @hobiemountaincats,

Are you receiving any error codes or messages? Are you attempting to perform a One Step Update or individual account updates? To clarify, this issue began to occur after the recent update?

Thanks!

[Merged Post]

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• hobiemountaincats
    hobiemountaincats Member ✭✭
    edited January 21
    Options

Hi Quicken Jasmine. The issue occurs both ways. Noticed at first during One Step Update. Then killed process to get control back. Rebooted PC then tried again with individual account updates. Let the processes go and even though progress ring did not show update they eventually finished. Discover took about 5 minutes and pulled down 77 old transactions from 2022 and 2023. PayPal completed in less than a minute and pulled down 1 old transaction from 2022. Rerunning again after deleting all the old transactions pulls them down again.

No error codes are evident.

This did happen today right after I accepted the prompt to update. I always wait for the update to prompt and don't run it manually when it shows up. Hopefully to avoid something like this.

Also thank you for your quick response. Hoping you can help :-)

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited January 21
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached, please include the names of the affected accounts as they show in Quicken, list some examples of duplicate transactions that downloaded, and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

Quicken Kristina

• hobiemountaincats
    Options

Having the same issue. Did not see this post so posted my own issue here:

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have done a couple of downloads in a test file running R54.9 and I have not seen any duplicate transactions downloaded. I download using Express Web Connect+ from multiple financial institutions including BofA, Chase and Schwab.

To possibly narrow the focus, it might help if users experiencing this problem posted whether they have the Quicken Mobile & Web Preference, Sync, set to ON.

Sync has been known to create problems - one reason why I never use it.

If Sync is the culprit, setting it OFF might give users a respite until the responsible party addresses the issue.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    Options

I have recently seen dozens of 2022 & 2023 reconciled transactions re-download when reactivating accounts. It's bizarre but harmless. Sync is disabled, as always.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• ysg26
    ysg26 Member ✭✭
    edited January 21
    Options

Same problem here. Started today. Tons of 2022 and 2023 Bank Of America transactions. I restored a backup fro yesterday and waiting for the problem to be resolved.

My Sync is OFF but it still sync'ed yesterday when I restored a another backup

• kattmandu
    kattmandu Member ✭✭
    edited January 22
    Options

Same here. In the most recent update R54.9 Build 27.1.54.9 on Windows 10 Enterprise Quicken Classic Premier, there was a change to how Renaming and Categorization works. There was some pop-up after the update telling me how to change my settings/preferences back to the way it worked before. Unfortunately, I didn't change my preference settings before performing an Update. All the 2022-2023 transactions that got downloaded during the first update after that update had changed the Payee Name and the Category. I had to delete all those downloaded transactions (one by one - y'all need to allow for bulk delete on downloaded transactions). The download yesterday happened on my Chase, Citi and Amex accounts.

Oh, and on this account, Sync is disabled.

(I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
  • brucewol
    brucewol Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same problem on 2 accounts. i believe i had to reset the connection back in 2022 due to technical changes. And no, it is NOT HARMLESS. i put in category and memo info so i can easily find transaction if i need to find an item if i want to repurchase, warranty info, etc. i can not just accept these items again and must manuallyy delete the transaction as it will continue to show up every time i update the account. there could be hundreds of these.

i have to do this every time i am forced to reset the connection. now will i be forced to do this every time quicken has a bug. that could be endless. seems like it is a quicken problem with some many different backs affected.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And no, it is NOT HARMLESS. 

It is harmless if you know how to remove the downloaded transactions that are duplicates.

I hit a few of these recently. I reconcile daily, and I use automatic transaction entry mode.

When the transactions come in, they all have the status of New.

I sort by the Status column which puts all the New transactions together, select all the duplicates, making sure not to select ones that are actually new (just looking at the date), and then delete them. And then change the sorting back to Date.

Even if I didn't have the New status to go on, the fact that all my previous transactions are reconciled I could just sort by the CLR column and do the same with the "non reconciled" transactions.

If you are using the Downloaded Transactions tab you should be able to do something similar in there with the transactions that are marked "New". Just make sure you know where your new transactions actually begin.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • brucewol
    brucewol Member ✭✭
    Options

okay, i just spent 3 hours plus with quicken support to resolve this so i wouldn't call it harmless. yes, you can do a mass delete. on my credit card, there was 1 new charge that was outside the date range of the problem range. on my credit card, i down load daily, do not pre enter the transaction and i recognize the vast majority of them, so i can just accept them, update the category and add a memo enter. this time there was only 1 charge out of hundreds that showed as new and not a duplicates, i probably accidently deleted the transactions in my nightly updates. i don't reconcile the cc balance, never found that to work well enough to spend the time on it.

different story on my checking account. i do regularly reconcile and try to manually record the checks on a daily basis. sometimes i forget, sometimes i enter next check number when i've written several checks the same day and don't get the sequence correct. my office computer is downstairs, keep my check book upstairs. then i have some people that take weeks to cash checks. on my cc, i enter the amount on the statement when i get it but when i have returns , the amount will be different. long as i reconcile at least monthly, it is easily manageable. but when i get 100's of new transactions from 18 months ago appear in my downloads, it takes a fair amount to sort through what is shown as new but a duplicate but new and outside of a date range. as i mentioned above, a manageable problem corrected either when i do the nightly download and regularly reconcile but not manageable with 100's of new transactions over a broad date range.

Chris - QPW - your suggestions are useful and in fact quicken support used similar techniques to help me. it still took 3 hours. i did find out what caused the problem. when i travel, i port the quicken file to my laptop using the backup and restore file. most of the time this works, but quicken knows that this can fail. i asked my support person if they knew about this, why didn't they fix the problem. even though her response was silent, i could clearly hear her cursing out the r&d sw team.

• brucewol
    brucewol Member ✭✭
    Options

CAUSE OF DUPLICATE TRANSACTIONS Found the cause of my duplicate transactions that others are reporting. mentioned it above but it is buried in a longer post. Don't use backup/restore to move quicken from 1 computer to another. sometimes it doesn't work and causes duplicate transactions. instead move the actual data file.

This can happen even if you just move from your home desktop to your travel laptop using backup/restore. and do not restore back from the travel laptop. somehow the transactions in the cloud get changed so when you update from your home desktop, they get reported as new.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Options

@brucewol on restore, unfortunately this is one thing that has change in the last couple of years. They have changed a vital feature into a danger. It is now use "only if absolutely needed", and not as a "copy" system.

This has been posted many times in this forum. Backup isn't the problem; the problem is Restore.

Every time you use it, Quicken mucks with the Quicken Cloud dataset that is associated with your Quicken data file.

Even if you don't run into a problem like what happened to you people have experienced "strange things" happening to their data file and it can cause the dreaded "maximum dataset exceeded error" where you have to contact Quicken support to delete the datasets. Restore creates one every time, and for what they say is legal reasons they can't delete the "orphaned" ones unless you contact them and tell them to do it.

So, yes yours was a special case where there was more going on. the "harmless" is for numerous times when Quicken just downloads some duplicate transactions. Not when it massively mucks up your data file.

EDIT: Use regular Windows File Explorer copy to copy your data file between machines.

Signature:
  • brucewol
    brucewol Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks for the detail. i've been doing backup/restore several times a year when ever i travel. sometimes when i screw something up in one step update and just want to start over. but then i'm still using the same pc. support implied it was only a problem when you switched pc's.

i only go to the community forum when i have a problem. i've had duplicate transactions before, like whenever i need to change my connection to a bank but it always looked like it was due to the bank flushing out all the transactions they had for my account. curse at quicken and just do the obvious deletes.

so, what you are saying that even though quicken bugs you to create a backup after each use, don't ever try to use the restore function. oh great, a backup that is not restoreable. or does the issue only happen when you use the restore function on a different pc.

i use acronis to my server and carbonite to the cloud so i always have a restoreable quicken data file from my c drive. is that the only safe way to roll back to an earlier data file.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Options

Personally, I have Quicken's backup features turned off, I have my own backup system and as such just get an old copy of the data file when needed. Quicken's backup isn't anything special. You can change a *.QDF-backup file to *.QDF and open it. This use of the .QDF-backup type is just a "flag" to when Quicken opens that type to hand it to the Restore feature.

The restore feature tries to deal with a given problem, and that is for old data files.

Every data file has an unique Id in it. This is used to connect it to the Quicken Cloud dataset, which mirrors some data that has to stay in sync.

Restore blows away the Quicken Cloud dataset and resyncs the data to it.

Whereas if you just open a copy of the data file on another machine nothing really knows that anything has changed.

So, for day to day copying between machines, just a Windows copy is best.

For restoring old data files Restore might be best. But in truth what I prefer is to use a different data file to delete the Quicken Cloud dataset for the original data file before opening a really old data file. That means that there is no chance of the "sync" between the two messing up.

Signature:
  • ysg26
    ysg26 Member ✭✭
    edited January 22
    Options

I noticed one can now cancel downloaded transactions without having to accept them first

• Charlie236
    Charlie236 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank You - eliminating "Backup did the trick" - no old Reconciled! Thank you very much.

I'm a Quicken user since 1990.
This discussion has been closed.