Accept selected transactions into register [Edited]

Options
GLinneberg
GLinneberg Member ✭✭

When you have a number of downloaded transactions to be accepted into the register, you are given several right-click options when you select just a single transaction. However, if you select multiple but not all the transactions, your only option is to delete the transactions.

It would be great if you could accept those multiple transactions into the register. Even better, if you could assign them all a category, and then accept them into the register.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @GLinneberg,

While this feature is not currently in Quicken, there is an Idea requesting this functionality, which is currently under consideration. I would recommend taking a look at this Idea post, and add your vote along with a comment if you'd like to see it implemented in the future:

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I find it really ironic that more and more the requests are basically asking for what "automatic transaction entry mode" does already by the very fact that the transactions go into the register and the full power of the register can be used.

I'm sure a lot of the Quicken Mac users will appreciate the irony, but I also state it as a warning to the Quicken Mac users that want this mode in Quicken Mac, because once it is in, then you will have a nonstandard register interface where most likely you will be faced with the same kind of "but we need this here too" requests.

@jacobs @smayer97

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GLinneberg
    GLinneberg Member ✭✭
    Options

No, automatic transaction entry mode wouldn't help me here. What I'm wanting is to be able to enter some transactions but not others. Some have no category, some have the correct category and some have the incorrect category. Very difficult to sort all that out once they are in the register.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In automatic transaction entry mode, all new transactions have a status of New or New Match. And the process is to review those transactions making sure that the categories are right. Unlike some people would like you to believe it isn't like if you used "Accept All" from the Downloaded Transactions tab.

Looks like this:

Selecting one of the New status icons:

Result of selecting Mark as reviewed:

Selecting the New Match status icon:

Note this is only in non-investment accounts, because of bugs in Quicken Windows in this mode for investment accounts, I don't suggest it there.

What I'm wanting is to be able to enter some transactions but not others. 

Can you explain why you wouldn't want to enter a downloaded transaction in your account?

Signature:
  • GLinneberg
    GLinneberg Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the info. As you surmised, I had assumed that it was like using ACCEPT ALL.

The reason I want to accept some but not others is sometimes I let them pile up and maybe 75% of them are categorized correctly. I want to accept them. The other 25% I want to fix the categories before accepting. What I'd really like is also the ability to select multiple transactions and re-categorize them, and then accept them.

But perhaps this auto transaction entry mode will work to get me what I want.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think about the only thing that is missing might be the multiple select and then mark those as reviewed. It really should be in the context menu, but Downloaded Transaction tab get all the attention and suggestions like this fall away because the SuperUsers don't use the mode.

But other than that YES, you are in the register you can use all the powers of the register. You can sort by the Status/blue dot column to put them all together even if you have done some and not others, you can sort by the categories and select categorize that way, you can use the filtering…

Note that if you change a transaction that will also mark it as reviewed.
    For my actual workflow I don't select the Mark reviewed. What I do is review them all, then reconcile. The process of reconciling a transaction also marks it reviewed.

From what I understand Quicken Mac does differently where editing a transaction or reconciling doesn't automatically mark it as reviewed. But I think they might be able to do a multiple select and then mark them reviewed.

At any rate unlike reported by some, the "automatic transaction entry mode" is just as "controlled" as going through the Downloaded Transactions tab.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I should also mention how a manual match works. You would first change the amount of manually entered transaction (or reminder entered transaction) to the amount of the downloaded transaction, and then click on the status icon of the manually entered transaction and there is an option to manually match.

Signature:
  • GLinneberg
    GLinneberg Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to make a copy of my file and test with that. Being able to select multiple things and edit or mark them is what I'm looking for, whatever mode I'm using.

This discussion has been closed.