Small credit card transactions skipped from download (Q Mac)

Options

I have noticed in the last few days that Quicken Connect is skipping a few small dollar creditcard transactions from it download. For example, today an AMEX download omitted two $3 charges with Act Blue. And I had a Mastercard issue with a $20 charge at CVS skipped. In both instances, 5-6 transaction were downloaded on the same day, but 1-2 were skipped. This happened yesterday as well. So I wonder if there is a problem that started after the latest update of Quicken Mac software? Also these accounts used to connect with Direct Connect but were recently switched to Quicken Connect (in the case of Amex, direct connect is no longer available).

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Perry Gershon,

Are you receiving any error codes or messages? Did this issue begin to occur after a recent update?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Perry Gershon
    Perry Gershon Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes - the issue started after the most recent update, There are no error codes. On further review, as this error is occurring daily, I believe I see the problem better. It is transactions made by the secondary user on the card which are being skipped. So the AMEX card has two users. Anything done by the main user is downloaded. Anything done by the secondary user is skipped. This is a MAJOR issue.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Based on your description of what is happening, there are a couple possibilities. It could be a file specific issue, or it could be a change in the way American Express is sending the information to Quicken.

To test if this is a file specific issue, backup your Quicken file, deactivate that account, and try adding it as a new account by going to Accounts>Add Account, and following the prompts, making sure to add it as new rather than link to the existing. Once it downloads, check to see if the information from the secondary user card is present or missing in that newly added account. If the information is present in that newly added account, that would indicate a file specific problem, and you would resolve it by restoring a backup from before the issue started.

If the secondary user card information is missing in the newly added account also, then the issue may be the way American Express is sending the information to us (for instance, if they are treating it as 2 separate accounts rather than as account & sub account when they send the information to us). To test if that is the case, backup your Quicken file, then try adding the secondary user card as an account in Quicken by doing to Accounts>Add Account, searching for American Express - Delegate, and seeing if you have the option to add that account to Quicken using the secondary user's login ID and password.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Assuming that these missing transactions truly were confirmed transactions and not still in Pending status …
    Is it possible that these transactions were auto-matched to prior transactions, already cleared or reconciled?

Somebody should look thru the OFX Log file for these missing transactions.
    If found, what FITID number was assigned to them? Quicken drops transactions having the same FITID number, to avoid creating duplicates.

There could also be a syntax error causing Quicken to drop transactions. This should be researched by Support and, if necessary, escalated to higher support levels.

• Perry Gershon
    Perry Gershon Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello Kristina. I tried your suggestion. The newly added account includes data from both users, so the proper data comes from Amex to Quicken. However, there is no easy fix to go back to an old backup. The issue started when the download switch from direct connect to quicken connect. Issue started about a week ago, But even if I go back to a one month old backup, the file will still only download one user when using Quicken Connect.

I suppose one fix would eb to just use the new account that I created for the test, and transfer the older transactions from the old account to the new account within Quicken. It will be work, but it should fix the problem. Is there a better way? It would be better to get the existing file to download both users on quicken connect as it did with direct connect. Its too bad direct connect no longer works. I always found direct connect superior to quicken connect across different bank platforms.

• Perry Gershon
    Perry Gershon Member ✭✭
    Options

THERE IS A SECOND RELATED ISSUE - Chase download is perioically skipping small balance (less than $5) transactions from the download. Has happened twice in last week now.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

Due to the nature of this issue, I agree with @UKR's recommendation that you reach out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance since they have access to tools that we do not and are able to escalate the situation if needed. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• sploosh
    sploosh Member ✭✭
    Options

FWIW, I'm having a similar problem, though without a second user—small transactions are being skipped in two different accounts. It's been going on for at least a week. Will call support.

• DonCuury
    DonCuury Member
    Options

Ditto: I noticed some time ago, when Q started color coding matching downloads that totals started matching really well. All was great until about Jan 22 of this year. One of my credit card accounts started skipping transactions. Mostly (but not all) the skipped transactions were ActBlue transfers where there were multiple per month. From reading other posts, this seems to be 'auto pilot' glitching where transactions are incorrectly matched during download. I saw some instructions about mitigating it by turning off auto accept but they were apparently for Windows not Mac.

• Eric Dann
    Eric Dann Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been having the same issue with transaction downloads for several weeks, and I believe the ones that are disappearing are repeating transactions (exact same payee and amount), where the older ones (already confirmed) are being deleted, and the newer ones show up as expected as new downloads. It seems that when they are downloaded, Quicken is mistakenly thinking it's the same as the earlier reconciled transaction with the same payee and amount, and deleting the already reconciled transaction. As the prior comment suggests, is there some sort of auto accept feature that needs to be turned off or reset to fix this going forward? Thanks

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @DonCuury and @Eric Dann,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. How long has this been happening? Which financial institution(s) is this issue happening with? Is this happening exclusively with repeating transactions that might be incorrectly matching to transactions already in the register? If not, then have you already followed the troubleshooting steps in this article on when transactions are missing or not downloading?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

• Eric Dann
    Eric Dann Member ✭✭
    Options

It looks like it started around January 24. I see 10 transactions that were deleted after having originally been downloaded and marked reviewed. Nine were from my Amex credit card, one was from a Chase checking account. All 10 of these transactions matched an earlier transaction in the register with the same payee and amount. I believe the earlier transactions were deleted, not the new downloads, although I'm not sure if that's always the case. I will take a look at the troubleshooting article. Thanks

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

If the transactions were incorrectly matched, you should be able to right click on the incorrectly matched transaction and select "Reject Automatic Transaction Match". That should separate the transactions.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yeah - I just had this happen over on the QWin side - with CHASE and a missing $7.00 charge -
    lucky during Reconcile - is was an exact match for a single transaction

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Eric Dann
    Eric Dann Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't think that will work for this problem, since the transactions don't appear after the download - they get deleted during the process. Today I updated accounts and my Amex balance was off again. Quicken downloaded one transaction, while the Amex app showed three new cleared transactions that should have been downloaded. The two that were missing were ones that had the exact same payees and amounts. The one that did download had a payee I frequently use, but a unique amount. The only way it is possible to manually reconcile is to compare Quicken to the Amex app.

I did follow the article you linked and the suggested changes didn't seem to make a difference. I did turn on the auto-reconcile function, which wasn't on before, so let's see if that helps flag the missing downloads before they disappear. Thanks

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

To clarify, what is leading you to believe transactions are being deleted?

If they are incorrectly matching, it would appear similar to deletion, since the incorrectly matched transaction would seem to disappear. You would be able to make it reappear by finding the transaction it matched to, right clicking on it, and rejecting the match.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11
    Options

One of the current speculations of why this is happening is because of two transactions that are exactly the same (except for maybe the date) and the second one being not downloaded. Note that this only seems to be in Quicken Connect/Express Web Connect + (Windows side) accounts. What's more it for multiple financial institution and for both Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows which pretty much means that the problem has to be either at Quicken's servers or Intuit's.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Perry Gershon
    Perry Gershon Member ✭✭
    Options

The problem is still occurring. I was incorrect to speculate it related to second user. I agree that it is a problem with transactions from an old merchant with a new date that are skipped (so repeated transactions). And it happens in AMEX, Citibank and Chase transactions.

• Eric Dann
    Eric Dann Member ✭✭
    Options

I agree it's still happening. My download just now had 5 transactions missing, and the only way to find them is a manual reconciliation which is painful for my primary credit card given the volume of transactions there. In some cases the new transactions are being downloaded, and randomized old transactions (same payee and amount) are being deleted, which is what makes the manual reconciliation so painful. In other cases the old transactions are untouched, and it's the new ones (same payee and amount) which are just not appearing in the download. Those at least are easier to spot.

I don't understand the earlier comment asking why I think they are being deleted as opposed to incorrectly matching. On my side I can't tell the difference between those two. I just know there is a persistent problem with transaction downloads now if you have payees that recur with the exact same amount. At this point my AmEx downloads almost always have this problem. There are no more clean downloads.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your replies @Perry Gershon and @Eric Dann,

Due to the nature of this issue, it is recommended that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.