Transfers between bank accounts not reflecting both TO/FROM accounts (edit)

Options
mojoco
mojoco Member ✭✭

I use Quicken on the Web, using Windows 10. I have NEVER been successful in booking a transfer between, for instance, a savings account to a checking account.

I start with the savings account; for "Payee" I enter "Transfer Money", in the Category I used the [bracketed Checking account name], then enter the amount. The "from" account amount shows up on the Savings account side, but the "to" account (checking) side of the transaction doesn't show up.

I have refreshed, I've closed and re-logged in, I have re-synced, etc. I have to enter each side of the transaction in Quicken on the Web. Then, when I try to sync Quicken on the Web to my desktop, everything is screwed up, and is not syncing correctly. Is it impossible to do transfers on Quicken on the Web? Am I trying to get it to do something that it is not programmed to do?

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @mojoco,

To assist with this issue, please clarify what is happening. Are you trying to initiate a transfer transaction through Quicken on the Web, but it is not actually sending the instructions to your financial institution? If that is what you are trying to do, then the answer to your question is no, Quicken on the Web cannot do that.

If you are trying to manually document a transfer between two non-investment accounts, then yes, you should be able to do that in Quicken on the Web. If this is where you're encountering an issue, could you please provide more detail about what is happening? If possible, including screenshots with personal information redacted can help show what is happening. If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mojoco
    mojoco Member ✭✭
    Options

No, I am not doing anything with a financial institution inside Quicken. I have already made a transfer of funds online with my bank outside of Quicken. Now, I am simply trying to MANUALLY document that transfer in Quicken to show that I have taken funds out of one account and moved it to another. On the desktop version, there is a "Transfer" function so I can choose the "from" account and the "to" account and the amount, and then the transfer is recorded in both bank accounts. However, with Quicken on the Web, I enter the transfer of funds from the "from" account, the associated transfer does NOT show up in the "to" account. I never know what my true balances are in either account. Below is the way I enter it in the "from" account, but after I hit "enter", it does not record the information in the "to" account.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Which browser are you using? Have you tried using a different browser, just in case a setting or plug-in/extension in your default browser is causing the issue?

If that does not work, then the next step would be to try resetting the Quicken cloud, then logging back into Quicken on the Web. To reset the cloud, go to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web. Click the blue, Reset your cloud data link.

Once the cloud reset finishes, log back into Quicken on the Web and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• mojoco
    mojoco Member ✭✭
    Options

Kristina, I have logged in to Chrome, Firefox, and Brave. I cannot find the "Edit" menu item, and therefore cannot find the menu thread to reset the Quicken cloud. My screen on all 3 browsers looks exactly like the one on Quicken's signin screen (below). There is no Menu across the top of the screen. The menu in the left side panel doesn't have an "Edit" option. I clicked on "Settings" at the bottom of that panel and there is no Edit menu choice there. Where is the Edit function? Are you talking about doing this from the browser, in Quicken on the Web — or from the desktop Windows version? I'm trying to do this in the browser as you instructed.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18
    Options

The Edit button @Kristina referred to needs to be accessed from your computer installed Quicken program. Click on that Edit button to open the Preferences popup where you can then navigate to and perform the Reset Cloud Data function.:

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• mojoco
    mojoco Member ✭✭
    Options

Okay, I'll have to try that next time I'm home at my Desktop.

Is there a complete user manual on using Quicken on the Web? It seems I always have to wade through a lot of messages on Quicken Community to ever find any answers to questions.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18
    Options

BTW - just curious …. trying to test the Transfer -
    HOW do you get the [acct] name to show in the Category ? -
    If I use the drop-down, there is no listing of [accts] to select for the implied Transfer -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Ps56k2,

In Quicken on the Web, to document a transfer, in the Category column, scroll down to Transfer, then select the account you want to transfer to.

Please note that transferring to/from investment accounts is not supported in Quicken on the Web.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    Options

tnx for the TRANSFER info - too bad QWeb doesn't have that "special" category name highlighted -
    like in brackets - [Transfer] or with an asterisk **Transfer
    so it doesn't look like all the other top level category names -

and for me - with a test - the Transfer worked and displays correctly in each To/From account

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mojoco
    mojoco Member ✭✭
    Options

Okay, I FINALLY figured out how to book transfers in Quicken on the Web. You must ONLY enter the transaction in the transfer "TO" account. Previously, I was booking the transfer beginning with the "From" account (wrong) and entering the transfer "to" account in the “category “ field using brackets (which should work but it doesn’t),  but now, I click the drop-down menu in the category field, choose TRANSFER,  then choose the “from” transfer account (make sure you enter the transaction in the “to” account only, and picking the transfer “from” account in the category field will book the transfer in both the “from” and the “to” account).   Quicken, please put these detailed instructions in your user manual!

Steps:

• Start with "TO" account (where funds are being transferred to)
    • In the Category Field, click the drop-down menu and choose "TRANSFER",
    • Then choose the "FROM" transfer account (that will be in [brackets])
    • Check to see that the transaction appears in the FROM account

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for the follow up,

Thank you for coming back and posting the solution to the issue you encountered.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.