Search for Action Writechk in a brokerage account does not work

Options

I do indeed have a smattering of Writechk transactions in my brokerage account. Trying to find these with a search fails. I do specify Find Action Contains Writechk (selected from pull down menus), yet dispite the fact I have a half dozen of these transaction in the account, and one is clearly visible in the register, the search returns, "No matching transactions were found"

Plan B was to search for the check numbers (Any Field Less Than or Equal To nnn). No Writechk transactions were in the search results.

FAIL!

No hits anywhere at the Quicken website on this either.

How do I search for Writechk in a brokerage account?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can't within an Investment type account … such action doesn't exist.

BUT, for a taxable brokerage account, you can use the option to "Show Cash in a Checking account", and write checks there.

That option is available via TOOLS, Account List, click EDIT adjacent to the investment account name. There's a radio button to select the option. When you do this, all cash in the investment account will be moved to the newly created Checking account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can sort an investment account by Action, then all the WriteChk actions will be together.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This should actually be reported as bug.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

The "WriteChk" action shows up under the "Cash" action in investment reports. So I think if you search on "Cash", it will appear. There are several investment actions that are like this. It looks like if the transaction is cash related, then it shows up under the "Cash" action, no matter what the original action was.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note that the main reason I consider this a bug is because you can select it in the Find. There are various "actions" that are in fact, translated into more fundamental actions. But you certainly should be able to select a search that can't be performed.

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    Options

I agree it is a bug, but my point was that there are more actions that need to be looked at in addition to "WriteChk". I have run accross this situation before, and it indeed is frustrating. I just know to use the "Cash" when searching on any cash related transaction, but that is a workaround, not a fix. When you use "Cash" action, it brings up other transactions you don't want.

My question is how does one report a bug?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Help → Report a problem

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    Options

I guess if that is the only avenue then it's worth a try. The only caveat is that submission doesn't mean resolution.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You could go through this cute dialog. 🤣

But yeah, no matter how you slice it there isn't any magic that is going to really improve the odds that they work on anything other than having more people complain about it.

Signature:
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited February 26
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.

(CTP-9182)   

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.