Why do Tax Spouse line items always show up on my custom category reports when not checked?

Options
kjgreen
kjgreen Member ✭✭

Whenever I try to create a custom report for a specific itemized category I am always getting Tax Spouse items included in the report. I am running Quicken Classic Deluxe on Windows and I have not run reports in a while (running now for Tax filing purposes) so I cannot define when this may have started. In trying to troubleshoot I ran an Itemized Categories report with just the Not Categorized box checked and the only thing that was in the report was the Tax Spouse items. Not sure if this is the issue and no idea on how to correct.

Tagged:

Answers

• Carol Tower
    Options

I am having the exact same issue. It is maddening! Hope someone can shed some light on this.

• sjlorenz
    sjlorenz Member ✭✭
    Options

Have had the same problem since I started using the spouse tax category for a while now. Would be nice to know why.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

To help troubleshoot this issue, could you please provide more details? What categories are affected by this? Which tax line items are assigned to those categories? Is this affecting only the Itemized Categories report, or are you seeing this happening anywhere else?

I look forward to your replies!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• cliffTBRD
    cliffTBRD Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Using Quicken Classic (27.1.54.16) on Windows. I see the problem with "Spending - Itemized Categories" and "Spending - Spending by Category" and "Banking - Banking Summary" reports. It seems to be any kind of report where you can Customize and select Categories to include.

To create the report I go to the Customize→Categories and clear all categories, then select the few I desire (Utilities for example). If the selected date range happens to have any Tax:Spouse register entries, they will show up on the report (along with the desired Category I explicitly selected).

The other thing I notice, is in the Categories selection dialog, the "Tax Spouse" selection does NOT show any of the subcategories (Tax:Fed, TAx:Medicare etc.), although those will show up (uninvited) in the report that is generated. The regular "Tax" category in the selection dialog does show the expected subcategories.

Please fix this.

Thanks

Cliff

• Quicken Kristina
    edited March 25
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I tried to replicate the issue, using the reports and the category you specifically mentioned, but wasn't able to get Tax:Spouse to appear uninvited. Are you able to post a screenshot of what you're seeing (with any personal information redacted)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

For the other issue you mention, unless you set it up as a custom category or have a Paycheck Spouse Income reminder set up, Spouse is pre-loaded as a subcategory of Tax and has no subcategories under it. That would be why the default Tax:Spouse doesn't reflect Tax:Fed, Tax:Medicare, etc.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• DougUchicago2K
    Options

I have the same problem, and it is very reproducible. Tax Spouse appears no matter what other category I select for a single-category report. Quicken version R55.15, Build 27.1.55.15

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

Are those of you who posted earlier still encountering this issue? If so, please post.

Do you track a spouse's paycheck in your Quicken using the Paycheck income reminder? Are you seeing this issue happen only in saved reports or is it also happening in newly created reports?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could the problem reported in this older community discussion be impacting anyone in this discussion?

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• AggieM
    AggieM Member
    Options

I have the exact thing happening. I went to Reports - Spending by Category - Went to Categories - Cleared ALL - Chose ONLY Financial / Funeral Expenses - "Tax Spouse" STILL showed up in report - SHOWN BELOW

• kjgreen
    kjgreen Member ✭✭
    edited March 28
    Options

Glad to see that others are having the same issue. I spent over an hour online with one of the Quicken assistants and he could not resolve the problem. I screen shared with him so he was able to see real time what was happening. I have been using Quicken since the 90's and have numerous accounts and entries. He was not positive but was wondering if maybe some of the old files had somehow become corrupted and contributing to the issue.

Still having the issue as of today. I am tracking my spouse's pension checks and have reminders set for each of her monthly deposits. This shows up under the Bills and Income tab.

The issue happens when I create any new customized category report.

• DSB111
    DSB111 Member
    Options

I am also having this problem but it is showing my Travel categories as well as some random Income categories, even when I have no categories selected.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for confirming and providing additional information on this issue. We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

Quicken Kristina

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Quicken Kristina would you be able to forward this issue as well? Otherwise, users are caught in a "catch-22" because to fix one issue, they need to turn off "Early Access" but doing so causes another issue.

As far as I can see, it is still an issue. I can reproduce it very easily.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @QuickUserPSP,

I will make sure our teams are aware of that issue as well. To clarify, when you say you can reproduce it very easily, are you referring to the Early Access issue, the issue discussed in this thread, or both?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Hi @Quicken Kristina I was referring to the Early Access issue, but I can reproduce the "Tax Spouse" reporting issue as well.

• AggieM
    AggieM Member
    Options

It's very easy to reproduce

Pick Reports - Spending - Spending by Category

Then pick Customize Report - Categories - Clear All - Then get the report below