Program shuts down when I try to add a transaction (Q Mac)

Options

So I like to keep my Quicken as manual rather than downloading info form my banks - it helps me stay on top of my finances having to check in regularly to stay up to date.

All of a sudden today, when I tried to (+) a transaction, as I normally do, the program shuts down.

The error message says

"An unexpected error occurred while trying to read "(Name of file) Quicken must now quit. Relaunch Quicken to open the file again. If you continue having problems with this file, you may need to restore from a backup."

Even when I pull up from a previous backup (a day ago, 10 days ago) it does the same thing.

Help!?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @RozRosaRose,

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Please remember to redact any personal information as needed. 

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• RozRosaRose
    Options

This is what it says.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Is your file stored on any type of cloud service such as Dropbox, iCloud Drive (perhaps via the Documents or Desktop folder), OneDrive, etc?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Just Lurking
    Just Lurking Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I just received the same error message for the first time while trying to refresh my transactions. Quicken 7.6.1 running on macOS 14.4.1 (Intel). My Quicken data file is stored in a subfolder under Documents, and my Documents folder is synced with Google Drive. I didn't even think of that being a possible issue until this thread, though it's never been a problem before. I'm hoping this is a one-off issue.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

One off issue? Probably not. It is highly recommended not to store you active Quicken file synced to any cloud storage service. This can mess with the permissions structure inside the file and result in corruption. People will sometimes go years without any problem, then all of a sudden find that their file is unusable.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Just Lurking I'm not familiar with how Google Drive syncing takes place under the hood, but the broad advice for cloud storage is: Don't Do That! My suggestion would be to create a separate Quicken folder at the same top level of your home folder to place your live data file, and to have your backup folder location be in the folder synced to Google drive. That way your live file is spared any unwelcome interference from file syncing, and you have your backup files stored in the cloud for safekeeping.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.