Apple Savings Account - Quicken Import throws OL-221-A Error

Options
Beijing Mac
Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭

Finally decided to add my Apple Savings Account to my Quicken file; this is the savings account associated to the Apple Credit Card, from Goldman Sachs.

My monthly download and import of the credit card transactions via the QFX file works, so I thought would be a simple matter to import the savings account monthly QFX file. But… nope!!!

I rec'd OL-221-A error. Doing a quick search found following 2 topics highlighting same issue, but both discussions or questions are closed with no apparent solution:

Was there a fix for this problem for importing into Windows version of Quicken? or is problem existing for everyone else, but can't be solved so everyone just gave up?

does anyone have a phone number for Goldman Sachs / Apple Savings?

running Quicken for Windows - Classic Business & Personal, subscription, lastest update.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Beijing Mac,

Since you are receiving this error when attempting to import a QFX file downloaded from the financial institution's website, you will still need to contact the financial institution directly for assistance, even if the error only occurs on Windows. As stated at the bottom of this support article regarding error OL-221:

"Web Connect (Importing a QFX file from your bank's website) - Receiving this error when downloading a QFX file directly from your bank's website indicates an issue with the file itself. You will need to contact your bank to resolve this issue."

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

my question was:

did other users ever get resolution to this issue?

Do other users know where to find contact info for Goldman Sachs.

please don't close this discussion / question as I know that I need to contact the FI; I am trying to get feedback from other users, not Quicken.

• Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I did not get a resolution from Goldman Sachs. I reported it via the app and was told it conforms to the specification. Given it imports into Quicken Mac, and also YNAB for that matter, and Quicken Windows is the outlier, it's not a leap of logic to assume it's Quicken Windows that has the issue.

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Zoolook — where did you find contact number for GS? was it in the wallet app?

• Zoolook
    Options

Go here and select chat: https://getsupport.apple.com/solutions

You will be initially connected with Apple, and they will then transfer you to GS (see attachment). Hopefully someone can also mark this post as unhelpful.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the people with this problem try this for more troubleshooting:

Do the import so that the error will be at the end of the logs if an error is in fact posted.

Next select: Help → Contact Support → Log Files → Connection Log

Is there an error at the bottom of the log?

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just looked at the thread mentioned, and since some of the troubleshooting has been done there, then I will continue here (even though know what the error message/if any in the connections log is would be helpful).

The first thing that I need is for someone to edit the QFX file with a text editor and post what the FID and INTU.BID number is (they should be the same).

That will lock down that what the financial institution is so that it can be looked up and checked in the fidir.txt. Note that both Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows have different fidir.txt files so the problem can be there. The other possibility that there is a syntax error in the QFX file, but Quicken Windows is stricter on enforcing the rules than Quicken Mac.

Note that point out that another personal finance software can import a QFX file is pretty much useless. First off, they are going to treat it like a plain OFX file and ignore the FID and INTU.BID number, they have no concern about "agreements" that Intuit has setup, they are in fact piggybacking on Intuit keeping that arrangement workings. The second reason is the same I mentioned for Quicken Mac. This is a standardized protocol and there are rules, but that doesn't mean that every programmer that does a parser for it will check them all, and as such might ignore errors that Quicken Windows doesn't.

So, just because Quicken Windows rejects a QFX file and another program doesn't, doesn't imply that Quicken Windows is doing something wrong. It could imply the others are.

Signature:
  • Zoolook
    Options

@Chris_QPW

Sorry I took so long to reply, I don' have notifications on these threads.

I opened the Apple Savings header in Notepad and this is what it looks like (I removed ACCTID)

OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>0<SEVERITY>INFO</STATUS><DTSERVER>20240320120000[0:GMT]<LANGUAGE>ENG<FI><ORG>Apple Savings<FID>18940</FI><INTU.BID>18940</SONRS></SIGNONMSGSRSV1><BANKMSGSRSV1><STMTTRNRS><TRNUID>0<STATUS><CODE>0<SEVERITY>INFO</STATUS><STMTRS><CURDEF>USD<BANKACCTFROM>

It looks like the FID and INT.BID are the same value.

Just for fun, here are the same rows for the Apple Card, which imports fine.

<OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>0<SEVERITY>INFO</STATUS><DTSERVER>20240320120000[0:GMT]<LANGUAGE>ENG<FI><ORG>Apple Card<FID>18940</FI><INTU.BID>18940</SONRS></SIGNONMSGSRSV1><CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1><CCSTMTTRNRS><TRNUID>0<STATUS><CODE>0<SEVERITY>INFO</STATUS><CCSTMTRS><CURDEF>USD<CCACCTFROM>

And here is the OFX version of the savings

<OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>0<SEVERITY>INFO</STATUS><DTSERVER>20240320120000[0:GMT]<LANGUAGE>ENG<FI><ORG>Apple Savings<FID>18940</FI></SONRS></SIGNONMSGSRSV1><BANKMSGSRSV1><STMTTRNRS><TRNUID>0<STATUS><CODE>0<SEVERITY>INFO</STATUS><STMTRS><CURDEF>USD<BANKACCTFROM><ACCTID>f7748714-49a3-4a07-9aa<ACCTTYPE>SAVINGS</BANKACCTFROM>

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20
    Options

@Zoolook

I'm not sure if that ACCTID is your real one, but it if is, you should edit it out.

Now for the problem, the FID/INTU.BID number takes us to this entry in the fidir.txt file:

18940	18940	18940	Apple Card WC	https://card.apple.com/	NA	https://card.apple.com/	ACTIVE	 	CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT	 	 	NOT_QBP	NA

CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT as in Web Connect/QFX file for credit cards only.

Goldman Sachs hasn't got with Intuit and told them that they also want support for the savings account.

If they had there would be this on the line: BANKING&WEB-CONNECT

Note here is the online version of the fidir.txt file:

https://ofx-prod-filist.intuit.com/qw2800/data/fidir.txt

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.