What is the best method to set up and link Quicken between 2 Win11 computers?

Options
Cathy S
Cathy S Member ✭✭

I have read some posts, and it seems one popular recommendation, rather than use backup and restore to transfer files, is to keep the Quicken Data Folder in a cloud drive (e.g., OneDrive or Dropbox), contrary to Quicken Support advice. This requires pausing sync on the cloud drive before opening and while using the Quicken app. If that is correct:

1. Should I resume syncing OneDrive/Dropbox on the 2nd computer currently in use after I close out the Quicken app or once I open Quicken on the primary computer? Should I pause sync when opening and using Quicken on the primary computer also?
  2. How and when should I sync to the Quicken cloud when using 2 computers? I understand this is a different feature of Quicken than the data and backup files. I believe Quicken Support recommends syncing to the Quicken cloud only on the primary computer.

Or does someone have a different tried and tested method for using Quicken on 2 computers? Is there a Youtube video showing how to successfully deploy Quicken on 2 computers?

Thanks,

Cathy S.

Quicken Classic Premier

Version R 54.16

Windows 11 Enterprise

Tagged:

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The way to use a cloud storage service (OneDrive, DropBox, etc) is to not have it (the file on the cloud service) be the location of the file that Quicken opens, Quicken needs to open a local file, not a file in the cloud. Use the cloud service only to mirror the Quicken file from the last computer that ran Quicken and then update the local Quicken file on the other computer.

For this to work properly, you need to pause/stop the cloud service on the computer you will run Quicken on. Nothing needs to be done to the other computer at this time. When you are done using Quicken, un-pause/restart the cloud service on that computer and the cloud service will refresh the mirrored file in the cloud and eventually update the file on the other computer. This takes some time depending on the size of the file and the speed of your internet connection, so be patient. You will not be able to bounce back and forth between the computers, remember, it takes time to do the sync.

It doesn't matter which computer you use to run Quicken, you just have to follow the proper sequence of pausing/using Quicken/un-pausing to keep from having conflicts and data corruption.

Remember, you are only using the cloud service to pass the modified data files back and forth between the computers and you need to do the pause so that the cloud service isn't grabbing control of the data file when it shouldn't or syncing halfway thru your Quicken session, so be vigilant in doing the pause/un-pause.

I know I didn't answer your questions as #1 & #2, but following the above sequence is what you need to do.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@splasher I appreciate the advice and response but do have one follow up. If one is storing the Quicken date file in the cloud as a file that does not sync on any other device, is this still a problem? I would think not as there would be no way for the file to get corrupted or out of sync.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JoelC

That takes you back to Quicken's original statement/advice that the data file not be on a shared/network drive. Quicken is constantly writing to the data file and ANY hiccup in the connection can cause corruption of the data file.

If you don't want to follow a safe procedure and want to tempt the fates, go ahead and do what you have suggested, but just don't complain when your data file becomes corrupted and unusable.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Backup on one computer and restore to the other is the simplest method.

You can see, from the instructions above, how convoluted using the cloud for this can be.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@splasher

That takes you back to Quicken's original statement/advice that the data file not be on a shared/network drive. Quicken is constantly writing to the data file and ANY hiccup in the connection can cause corruption of the data file.

If you don't want to follow a safe procedure and want to tempt the fates, go ahead and do what you have suggested, but just don't complain when your data file becomes corrupted and unusable.

Agree and for clarity, I never said I was doing that, I was just asking for clarity as this scenario is different than the one the OP is describing.

Thank you.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NotACPA Agree, Quicken's use of the cloud is complicated and tricky!

• Cathy S
    Cathy S Member ✭✭
    Options

@splasher, thank you for the explanation about using the cloud drives. As to my question #2, when is the proper time to sync to the Quicken cloud? Each time I close out of Quicken, the app asks whether I want to sync to the Quicken cloud.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Cathy S it depends, do you use Quicken Web or do you use Quicken mobile? If the answer to both is "no" then I see no benefit / need to sync to Quicken cloud (especially should you make regular backups of yoru file). If the answer to either is "yes" then before you think you will next be using one of them and/or every time you exit Quicken.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Cathy S

I agree with @JoelC, if you don't use either of Quicken's companion cloud methods to see/edit data synced from your Desktop data file, you really don't need the sync at program exit. If you use either of them, then you need to do the sync.

JoelC references regular backups in conjunction with syncing to the Quicken cloud. The Quicken cloud is NOT a backup for your Quicken data file and can not be used to restore a lost/damaged data file since it is only a part of the information in the Desktop data file.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@splasher agree that syncing to cloud is NOT a backup, I should have been clearer. The point I was reaching for was that if a user does not do backups — for whatever reason — then they could use teh synced data to manually reconstruct the file (i.e., all entries would be available, albeit in a not very user friendly way).

I hope that clarifies my comment.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And the big advantage of the backup/restore method is that you'll have a backup that's NOT on your computer.

If you only backup to your harddrive, and the PC takes a hard crash … then you've got no backup at all.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NotACPA I could not agree more. I have backups on both DAS and the cloud. I have never regretted this, especially when I do something stupid which does happed from time to time (i.e., accidentally delete a file, a file gets corrupted, etc.).

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JoelC

then they could use teh synced data to manually reconstruct the file (i.e., all entries would be available,

Not so, the Quicken Cloud Account data initially only goes back 24 months last I heard. So, "all entries" would not be available if you had more than 24 months of history when you started using QCA.

It may seem I am nitpicking, but I don't want anyone to get the impression that the QCA is good for anything other than holding information for QMobile/QWeb.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@splasher fair enough but I would hope that few people go 2+ years without doing a backup especially given the backup warnings (unless / until they have disabled those).

I know that some may consider me overly cautious but I have had enough close calls that I almost always backup my file after entering data. If I miss a backup it was because I somehow got distracted, otherwise all the time.

• Cathy S
    Cathy S Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you all for the helpful information. I now understand the distinction between a backup file on a cloud drive or elsewhere and the Quicken cloud. I also understand why the QDF (data) file should reside on the hard drive of my computer. But, while there seems to be a distinction between the data (QDF) file and the backup file, the terms "data file" and "backup file" often are used interchangeably by both Quicken and its users. So my question is, since Quicken syncs to the QDF file, why shouldn't I store the backup file on a cloud drive such as OneDrive or Dropbox?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Cathy S

So my question is, since Quicken syncs to the QDF file, why shouldn't I store the backup file on a cloud drive such as OneDrive or Dropbox?

There is nothing wrong with storing the Quicken backup file on a cloud drive, in fact it is a good idea. It is separate location away from your local drive and safe if your local drive fails.

You have never stated whether you use QMobile / QWeb? It is an important issue with the sync that Quicken asks about upon exit.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Cathy S in regard to your question #2, Quicken asking if you if you want to Sync each time you close the file, can be turned off.

Go to the Moble & Web Tab. If SYNC is turned off, turn it on. In the upper right you should see a "Sync Now" button. Uncheck the box below it "Sync to cloud on closing Quicken". After this, you will not be asked when closing Quicken.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Provided you can remember to do this sequence this is what I would recommend.

• Store Quicken data file in OneDrive/Dropbox.

1. To open the data file on either machine that is sharing the OneDrive/Dropbox file, pause OneDrive/Dropbox.
    2. Open data file in Quicken, do whatever.
    3. Quit Quicken.
    4. un-pause OneDrive/Dropbox.
    5. Make sure it has fully synced on both machines before, starting on at step one again.

What is the danger if you forget to pause OneDrive/Dropbox?

You can get "Can't open errors". This shouldn't cause any damage to the data file, but it can certainly be unnerving, and a recent change in OneDrive and all the people complaining about just this proves that people don't handle that situation very well.

What is the danger if you, don't get the file fully synced to the other machine, or forget to close Quicken and open the data file on the other machine? Most people believe that the data file will be damaged, but in truth OneDrive/Dropbox knows that a Quicken data file is a binary file and will not try to merge changes between the two. But you can end up with multiple copies and even more disruptive is that it is possible for you to lose changes. For instance, you make a change on one machine, while changes are made on the other machine. If OneDrive/Dropbox doesn't detect this and make two copies only one copy's changed are going to be kept.

As always, make frequent backups. To OneDrive/Dropbox is a good place since it will be end up with two copies one on your local drive on one on the OneDrive/Dropbox server. (That is the nature of "cloud folder", it is local copy that is synced to OneDrive/Dropbox server).

Personally, my choice is to have a script that copies the data file in and out of OneDrive, but I understand that isn't for everyone.

@UKR recommended Backup and Restore, but I think he is forgetting that Quicken Inc basically broke that method for this purpose a couple of years or so ago. The backup is fine, and if one was to just rename the .QDF-backup file to .QDF and open it, that would be fine, but what Quicken Inc did to the "Restore" is that it first "hide the existing" Quicken Cloud dataset that goes with the data file (it is on the server), and then creates a new one. This in itself doesn't cause problems usually, but they don't delete the old Quicken Cloud dataset, only hide it (it will only be deleted if the user contacts Quicken support to do it). There is a limited number of these Quicken Cloud datasets allowed before Quicken will refuse to open your data file until they hidden ones are deleted.

For the occasional Restore this usually isn't a problem, but if one is doing this frequently, they are sure to run into this problem and have to contact Quicken support to delete the hidden Quicken Cloud datasets.

Note that even though the Quicken Cloud dataset is the same as used for Sync to Mobile/Web (which as people have explained is not a full backup), even with that setting off a fair amount of information is still stored in it and has to be synced for various online services. For instance, Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + store transactions there. And as that syncing got more and more complicated and the fact that someone might be doing a restore of a very old data file, they took this step with the Restore feature to prevent problem of sync a "new Quicken Cloud dataset on the server" is a old data file.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Cathy S
    Cathy S Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you all again for your helpful input. To answer one question, I sometimes access the Quicken app on my smartphone, so I will continue to sync to the Q-cloud before I exit my primary computer only. Also, I will continue to retain the qdf file on my computer hard drives, but will store backups on OneDrive or Dropbox. How many of you have successfuly used the command instructions recommended in an earlier community forum on this subject so that unsyncing and resyncing to the data file is automatic?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6
    Options

Do you mean like this command script:

[edited] original script shown here was removed and replaced with reference to FAQ.

Signature:
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Be aware that with Windows 11 you are already using Quicken on a OneDrive folder by default. The Documents folder and subfolders are synced to the cloud. You must create a new folder that is outside of Documents to keep from syncing. I have found no other way to exclude a folder from OneDrive's reach.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@joelc The script is something that Chris wrote quite a while ago, he posted the whole thing above. You just need to tweak the file locations to agree with your computer's folder setup.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just to clarify the full use of that script.

Start Notepad:

Copy and paste the script from other post above:

Edit the QDF file name and change the "set" lines as needed. Above, QDF file is called Current.qdf, it resides in the standard place of Documents\Quicken (in OneDrive), %USERPROFILE% is your user folder. The "local folder/copy" where it will be copied to and run Quicken from is the folder c:\Quicken, which will be created if it doesn't already exist.

File → Save, save it to whatever folder you like, with whatever name you like, but you have to end the name with .cmd. That makes it a "script". Note I don't suggest the Desktop, for this file. The reason will be, because you will most likely want make a shortcut to this file and put that on your Desktop.

If you double click on the "Quicken.cmd" file it will copy the data file to the DATA_DIR and then open Quicken with that data file. It will copy it back when you close Quicken.

If you right click (Hold down shift key on Windows 11) on the "Quicken.cmd" file you will get the context menu and can select Send to → Desktop (create shortcut).

Now you can use that shortcut in the same way. You can also rename it, and if you right click on it and select Properties you can change Run to Minimized so that will stay as an icon in your task bar.

Note as a bonus, say you are working on something in Quicken and things go bad. If you close the command script window in the task bar before closing Quicken the data file will not be copied back, allowing you not overwrite your last copy in your Documents folder. That is also a warning not to close it if you want it copied back.

Signature:
  • Procopio
    Procopio Member ✭✭✭
    Options

In the OneDrive account settings you can choose folders to sync. Syncing the Documents folder is optional. I unchecked it and now it doesn't sync.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW awesome. It is very similar to a script I wrote to backup my work folder directory every night is DOS some 25+ years ago! Love the old school approach, clean / effective / simple.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hate the editor on this forum! Even when I told it that it was code it inserted lines and removed backslashes!

Use the copy of the script in the FAQ above, when I was able to at least insert the proper backslashes. The extra lines won't hurt it and can't get rid of them in this forum's editor.

@splasher I can't edit the above comment to remove the bad script, can you please remove the script and just point it to the FAQ?

Or any other SuperUser or Moderator?

Thank you.

Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have confirmed that if the data file is in a Dropbox folder, odd things, including apparent file damage, happen when you try to validate and repair the file.

Be sure to copy the file to a folder on a local drive not synched to cloud storage before opening it.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.