iOS 17.4 lets budgeting apps easily access Apple Card, Cash, and Savings data

Options
PappyChappy
PappyChappy Member, Mac Beta Beta

Will quicken add support for connecting to these accounts now that Apple has opened the floodgates? https://9to5mac.com/2024/03/05/ios-17-4-lets-budgeting-apps-easily-access-apple-card-cash-and-savings-data/

Comments

• DonGoldberg
    DonGoldberg Member ✭✭
    edited March 6
    Options

I read that, with the iOS 17.4 update, Apple is now allowing some budgeting apps to access Apple Card transaction data.

Does anyone know if desktop Quicken will get this feature any time soon?

[Merged Post]

• firstcitazen
    firstcitazen Member ✭✭
    edited March 6
    Options

I'm interested in this too!

[Merged Post]

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 6
    Options

Allowing apps on the iPhone to access transaction data is something Apple can do on its own (since the data is already there). Quicken access would have to come from Goldman Sachs, and since they aren’t happy with the card & want to dump it I don’t see them putting any effort into that.

[Merged Post]

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 6
    Options

Here's some more info on the change. Other budgeting apps have now added real-time download support for Apple Card transactions now that Apple has opened up access. Hopefully Quicken will follow soon (and yes, I know this depends on Intuit as the data provider, so who knows—one can hope though!)

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/03/05/apple-card-ios-17-4-budget-apps/

[Merged Post]

• mattc2
    mattc2 Member ✭✭
    edited March 6
    Options

Many budgeting apps just released real-time Apple Card, Apple Savings support.

[Removed - 3rd-Party Softwares], among others jumped on the train, as Apple seems to have released these APIs

This is a critical feature, and one many of us have been looking forward to. Are there any updates on this area? Has Quicken been working with Apple to release this?

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 6
    Options

Hello @mattc2,

In order for Apple Card to support automatic transaction downloads with Quicken, Apple Card would need to contact our service provider and submit a request to have this added to Quicken. As for whether or not Apple is currently working with our service provider; unfortunately, we do not have that information available to provide.

Thank you!

[Merged Post]

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mattc2
    mattc2 Member ✭✭
    Options

Just as a note, Apple seems to allow for unilaterally building the integration via an API.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why should Q incorporate that when Apple can, themselves, simply contact Intuit in order to be added?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@mattc2 All of Quicken's connectivity to financial institutions is handled by Intuit. Apple (or Goldman) needs to sign on with Intuit to allow access to their accounts. Quicken itself doesn't build proprietary API access for specific financial institutions; the question is whether what Apple is offering to third parties meshes with what Intuit can/will do. And Anja's response above explains that whether this is in the works or not is something the moderators here don't have any insight into.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6
    Options

seems more like an on device App API portal to the Apple money world….
    then the only avail candidate would be Quicken Mobile App -
    but even that app doesn't really use the "portal" API concept, and accesses everything thru the Quicken Cloud.

When you choose to link an Apple Card via XXX, you’ll be taken through a seamless process integrated directly into iOS 17.4. You’ll be asked which accounts you want to import and how much of your transaction history should be imported. From there, all of your Apple Card, Apple Cash, and Apple Card Savings Account information is viewable directly in XXX alongside your accounts from other institutions.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jon
    edited March 6
    Options

The APIs for allowing apps to access Apple Card data (FinanceKit) only exist on the iPhone & iPad; they aren't available on the Mac or Windows. So this isn't going to be of any use to Quicken. The one desktop app I know of that's attempting to take advantage of this does so via their iPhone app - they instruct users to leave the app running on their iPhone all the time so the app can sync data to the cloud which then syncs it down to the desktop, which is a very kludgy solution IMO.

• mattc2
    mattc2 Member ✭✭
    Options

IMHO that’s okay as long as it works. The current solution is importing end-of-month statements (and adding transactions manually). Anything is better than that.

• mreid446
    mreid446 Member ✭✭
    Options

Apple just release FinanceKit with iOS 17.4. Sounds like multiple companies will now start to pull banking information and I'm hoping Quicken can do the same in the near future.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Won't happen until Apple Card signs the contract with Q/Intuit. That's how ALL financial institutions get added.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    Options

As @Jon said, I don't think there's any chance Quicken would implement an import method which only works on an iPhone/iPad, doesn't work for Android users, and doesn't work on Mac or Windows desktops.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

One thing I think hasn't been mentioned is that it doesn't matter if there is an API or not, Quicken Inc can't use it without Apple's permission and Quicken Inc isn't about to ask for that permission anyways.

People look at this service or that, one that might be put out that a user can access like free security quotes from some website and then ask why Quicken can't use that interface. And the answer is Quicken Inc is a business, a business can't just start using an API then need to get permission, and lots of times that also comes with a cost to the business.

Quicken Inc is a small company, they can't go about creating interfaces for every API that is out there, even if there wasn't the legal/business reasons. But on top of all of this there is the liability that nobody is talking about. Just looking at how Quicken Inc's website purchase works I can tell you it is like millions of others out there, where they don't directly write that code or have access your credit card information. They pay a third-party to do that. That in turn means that even if their server gets hacked, they don't have to worry about your credit card information, because they don't have it.

If Quicken Inc started using that API, and somehow it got hacked, they would be the ones the customers would go after. There is a reason for keeping this kind of thing at arm's length when possible.

Typical Apple. And go a year and they will most likely remove the service.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jon
    edited March 6
    Options

Apple publishing an iOS API is them giving developers permission to use it in their iOS apps; as long as the app otherwise passes Apple's inspection they aren't going to reject an app for using a published API (unpublished APIs are another story). It's not like a web API. And I don't think there's much chance of them pulling the API either.

• AppleCardPlease
    Options

No response after so many days does not give me confidence this will be supported any time soon. It’s strange, because ONLY Intuit had ever had access to realtime AppleCard transaction data (Mint) before this 17.4 FinanceKit announcement.

With the announcement that three of the leading budgeting apps are all supporting it at launch, I think users here deserve at least a timeline or plan for this much requested integration to make it’s way to Quicken.

• mattc2
    mattc2 Member ✭✭
    edited March 7
    Options

Simplifi just announced support coming soon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/simplifimoney/s/pACYChrgya

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Now that is interesting, if they can do it for Simplifi they should be able to do it for Quicken.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Casablanca
    Casablanca Member ✭✭
    Options

I can appreciate the frustration that many users including myself have expressed about this issue since the Apple Card was introduced in 2019. Intuit, Quicken, Goldman Sachs and Apple all have had challenges with resolving this issue even after five years. Quicken customers just want these firms talk to each other and provide a solution. Until that happens, none of us has a complete picture of our finances, which is the reason we pay for the subscription in the first place!

• jacobs
    Options

Intuit, Quicken, Goldman Sachs and Apple all have had challenges with resolving this issue even after five years. 

Not really. It hasn't been a challenge for Intuit or Quicken, because Apple/Goldman simply chose to not provide access to the data.

Quicken customers just want these firms talk to each other and provide a solution.

It's unfortunately not the way things work. Quicken doesn't do outreach to financial institutions to stay, "hey, would you like to let us in to download from your servers?" Each financial institution must apply to Intuit to do so. Quicken is the smallest player in this equation, by far, and they are simply at the mercy of the financial institutions to request participation and then for Intuit to get it implemented.

I'm not saying I don't understand and empathize about the issue of getting Apple Card connected for downloading. It's just something that Quicken has almost no control over. Apple Card holders need to pound on Apple to provide this service to their customers.

This discussion has been closed.