Commerce Bank downloaded transactions being truncated

Options

After downloading bank stmt from Commerce Bank DAILY for last 15+ years, since mid Feb '24 the payeee description is being truncated to just a few letters.. example 'Walmart' becomes 'Wal', 'Amazon purchase' becomes 'Ama', etc, etc. Also - nothing is being imported into 'downloaded payee' field - or worse, it is same cryptic text as in the payee description. Anyone seeing the same?

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @skgriffith,

What kind of account(s) do you have with Commerce Bank? Are you getting any error messages when you update your account(s)? Was there anything that happened around the same time as the issue started (like a program update or unexpected shutdown)?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Paul DeGroot
    Paul DeGroot Member
    Options

I have the same problem, started at the end of February. Only getting the first 15 char such as Payment / ACH Debit"

• Paul DeGroot
    Paul DeGroot Member
    Options

Checking acct and no error messages. Only update was Quicken

• skgriffith
    skgriffith Member
    Options

Same - no error messages of any kind.

• skgriffith
    skgriffith Member
    Options

And account is just a normal checking account

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

The most common causes of information being truncated are either a file-specific issue or a change in the way the financial institution is sending the information to us. To help narrow down which is the cause of what you are seeing, I recommend creating a new "test file" and adding the problem account(s) in that test file to see if the information downloads correctly in that file or if it comes in truncated there also.

For instructions on creating a new file, click this link and scroll down to the Creating a New File section. Once you have observed whether the information downloads correctly in the new file or not, you can return to your original file (for instructions on switching between files, use this link and go to the How to alternate between multiple files section near the bottom).

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• skgriffith
    skgriffith Member
    Options

Thanks - I've already performed this test and the results are the same - data is truncated. I've spoken at length with bank tech support on this specific issue and they've indicated that nothing has changed with the data feed in last 6 months (this problem began in mid Feb - one month ago). Please advise.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If it's downloading that way in the test file also, that indicates this issue has to do with how the data is being sent to us. That usually means that the issue is on the financial institution's side. You said you already spoke to them and they say they haven't made any changes to the data feed in the last 6 months. Did they also check for any possible issues on their end?

If the financial institution already checked and found nothing wrong on their end, then I'd recommend reaching out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance (and make sure to let them know you already spoke to the financial institution), since they have access to tools we can't access on the Community and they're able to escalate the issue if needed. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• skgriffith
    skgriffith Member
    edited March 22
    Options

Kristina - I can certainly understand why there are literally thousands of Quicken issues on this site if Quicken's default answer to every issue is, "It must be a problem on bank side"…! You are surely aware there is Quicken code in this interface that manipulates the incoming bank data (i.e. renaming rules, etc), yet the answer is always "must be a bank issue" [Removed - Speculation/Disruptive]. Extremely frustrating!

• Quicken Kristina
    edited March 22
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

The behavior you described in your initial post doesn't sound like an overly general renaming rule. If a renaming rule was causing the issue, you would usually see multiple transactions all being changed to the same wrong thing, rather than just truncating each payee (for instance, everything would be changing to Wal). If you think there is something in your download preferences that is making the undesired changes, you can go to Edit>Preferences>Downloaded transactions to make sure anything that could be altering your downloaded transactions is turned off.

If you suspect you somehow ended up with multiple incorrect renaming rules, you can go to Tools>Renaming Rules to check for that.

As I said in my earlier post, if the financial institution already checked and found nothing wrong on their end, then I'd recommend reaching out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance (and make sure to let them know you already spoke to the financial institution), since they have access to tools we can't access on the Community and they're able to escalate the issue if needed. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• rachittum
    rachittum Member
    Options

I am experiencing exactly the same thing. Since mid February - truncated Downloaded Payee. I kept thinking eventually, it would get back on track. I guess I wrongly assumed that either the bank or Quicken software would recognize this anomaly. I guess naivety on my part.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and request help. Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to escalate the problem to the proper support team.
    It takes a number of complaints for the same issue for support to recognize that there indeed is a problem which requires action by either a higher tier Quicken Support person, an Intuit support person or the bank itself.

Quicken Support:

• skgriffith
    skgriffith Member
    Options

I will do that immediately. I guess I also naively assumed, in the name of superior customer support, that issues on this forum that can't be explained and/or resolved by simple explanations would in fact be directly reported/channeled to your own Quicken Support team, rather than us having to go thru entire process of explaining an issue to yet another new audience. Naive indeed.