When will my accounts (.QDF, etc) be OK on my data (D:) drive, not just the C: (OS) drive?

Options

When will my accounts (.QDF, etc) be OK on my data (D:) drive, not just the C: (OS) drive?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28
    Options

I have not seen official Quicken documentation that says your data file must be on the same drive as the operating system, but I would guess that it is not regularly tested in other configurations. Please post a reference to that requirement if you have it.

Quicken's underlying database assumes that the data file is always available and not being accessed by another program or computer. Thus it should not be stored on a removable drive, a shared network drive, or a drive that is synched to a cloud storage system like OneDrive, Google Drive, or Dropbox while Quicken is running.

QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What, exactly, is your D: drive? Is it a portion on the same physical device as your C: drive (i.e., a partition), or is it a completely separate device?

I've run my QDF file on a separate partition in the past without problem.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In Windows you can easily move your Documents folder to the D: drive, by right clicking the Documents folder, clicking Properties and then selecting the Location tab in the Documents Properties window. You end up with something like this:

Quicken is entirely happy with that situation. Maybe that's the root of your question here?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • srferrier
    srferrier Member
    Options

I was specifically told by Quicken support that the date file(s) must be kept on C: Drive, not any other (data) drive. Why??

• srferrier
    srferrier Member
    Options

My D: drive is a separate partition on the same physical drive as the C: partition.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"I was specifically told by Quicken support that the date file(s) must be kept on C: Drive, not any other (data) drive. Why??"

Don't really know. Perhaps that was a hyper-cautious warning, an overstatement, to avoid people using cloud based storage for their data files. But you can see Quicken, by all accounts, seems to also work fine on other hard drives in your PC.

By default Quicken expects to find its files in the Documents > Quicken folder on Drive C on your PC, but since Windows offers a universal ability to move that vital and widely-used Documents folder to another hard drive I can report that Quicken goes with the flow.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2
    Options

Be aware that by default Windows 11 synchs the Documents folder, including the default Quicken folder under it, using OneDrive. You can tell if this is happening by looking at the full path to your data (QDF) file in the list at the bottom of the File menu. If you see "OneDrive" in the path, your data file is being synched.

A few months ago, a change to OneDrive caused a large number of problems when it tried to synch the data file while Quicken was using it. This conflict can occur regardless of which drive your data file is located on.

Quicken made some changes which helped to fix this, but it would still be a good idea to move your data file to a location that OneDrive is not trying to synch, or to pause OneDrive while you run Quicken. For more info, see this lengthy discussion

QWin Premier subscription