Allow QDF File On Other Drives

Options
Alan Berow
Alan Berow Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Backups and File Conversions

As a modern PC user, using a newer PC, I keep my programs on the smaller (C:\) SSD and my data files on a larger HDD (E:\), which has a backup to cloud running in the background. I have been told that this will cause problems in Quicken over time as it is designed for the data file being on the c:\ drive.

Please consider correcting any issues that come from separating the program and data file - full path names, timing, etc.

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

IMO, the Quicken guidance for only having the data file on the C: drive dates back to when hardrives for PCs were very expensive and computers generally only had one.

I believe that what is really important is for the drive to be a local drive (inside the computer), not network or USB. A network drive brings in possibility of lost data due to marginal network equipment. USB drives could have less than perfect cabling.

Personally, my data file has been in an encrypted data vault on my D: drive and appears to be on the P: drive to Quicken without any issues for over 10 years.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As a modern PC user, using a newer PC, I keep my programs on the smaller (C:\) SSD and my data files on a larger HDD (E:\), which has a backup to cloud running in the background. 

The cloud backup, even if your data is on the C: drive, can sometimes cause problems.

One issue I and others have seen is that the backup software lurks in the background waiting for Quicken to close the file, then locks the file while it makes the backup copy and syncs it to the cloud. When you exit Quicken and perhaps at other times, Quicken closes then tries to re-open the file and fails when it can't open the file. I have not tried this recently, but I definitely observed it with OneDrive. Some users are working around this by pausing the sync/backup while they are running Quicken, or by storing the data file in a folder that the backup software does not monitor.

Here is more information on this issue.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Alan Berow
    Alan Berow Member ✭✭
    Options

splasher - I agree. I use bitlocker for encryption. I did not have similar issues for well over 10 years, but here I am.

Jim_Harmon - thank you for the tip. I will make that a practice going forward and see what happens.

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown Member ✭✭
    Options

Having this stated 'requirement' to keep the file on the C:\ drive is insane in this day and age. I have my system partitions so the OS in on C:\ and user files are on D:\ via redirection in the target Location in the Properties of the Documents, Downloads, etc.

I recently was on the phone with them and they raised the issue when they saw that.

It's a totally archaic requirement.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7
    Options

I would find it hard to believe that in this day and age that Windows can write to ANY destination and not lose ANY data -
    but Quicken still has issues….. not related to the Cloud services locking the QDF conflict -

Windows writing to - local drive/s, library drive/s, NAS, USB/flash, Cloud, etc - no problems ….

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think I have ever seen any recommendation about not using another local drive, but we certainly have seen the recommendation not to have that data file you have open in Quicken in a "cloud folder", and that has proven to have caused lots of problems when Microsoft recently changed how OneDrive works.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown Member ✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW Well Quicken needs to catch up with the 'modern' methods of manage our data.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

is there any actual Quicken text that suggests the Quicken Data File reside on the C: drive vs any other local drive ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Ps56k2,

There aren't any current support articles that say you have to have your file on your C drive. However, there are articles that specify you should have your Quicken file on your local hard drive. This article about whether you can share your file using Dropbox specifies in the last section "If you restore a backup that is located in your cloud drive, make certain the restored file is saved locally on your hard drive before using the file.".

This article about installing Quicken on multiple computers, in the Can I install or use Quicken on a network? section, explains why you should keep your Quicken file directly on your computer's hard drive: "Quicken incrementally saves your data as it's entered. Saving Quicken data files directly on your computer's hard drive, and not over a network, decreases the risk of data loss. Network instability or the use of a single data file by multiple people at the same time will often lead to data issues."

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina

I am concerned that some Support agents are interpreting "on your local hard drive" to mean "on the C drive", which may be unduly restrictive. Could you please check with a knowledgeable expert on the internals of Quicken and find out whether there is any reason to require that the QDF file be located on the C: drive?

Recent issues with crashes, long pauses, and error messages related to file location appear to be related to whether the file is in a folder that is being synched or backed up to a cloud storage system, which could easily be on the C: drive, rather than which local drive it is on.

If there is no real requirement that the file must be on the C: drive, perhaps the articles you referenced could be clarified.

Thanks.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply @Jim_Harman,

I forwarded your concerns to the proper channels.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.