No transactions to reconcile.

Options

Can someone please help me understand what is wrong here. I have obvious transactions that need to be reconciled but Quicken tells me there are none.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @erictoninewport,

Based on your screenshot, if that is your register view in Quicken, there don't appear to be any transactions in that register. There need to be transactions in the register first in order to reconcile the account in Quicken.

To get transactions in the register, do you wish to download them, or manually enter them?

Check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The next question is why are there two Opening Balance transactions?

Is this possibly the "All Transactions" register view?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• erictoninewport
    erictoninewport Member ✭✭
    edited March 29
    Options

the first opening balance is the true opening balance. It show as cleared not reconciled.

The second transaction I entered and just called it opening balance in the hopes to make it reconcile. The second transaction shows uncleared.

also this is the Fifth Third Bank register, NOT all transactions.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It looks like this account is setup for reconciling to an online balance.

An online balance has both and amount and a date. If the date is older than the date on your manually entered transaction Quicken will prompt you like that because there are no transactions on or before the reconcile date.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • erictoninewport
    erictoninewport Member ✭✭
    edited March 31
    Options

@Chris_QPW Unless you have some special access to my accounts, i don't understand how your comments make sense.

Yes, it is set up to reconcile to an online balance, however, the transactions have a date of 03/29/2024 and i reconciled on 03/29/2024.

To take it a bit further I tried to reconcile just this morning and it still gave me the same error.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@erictoninewport - I think there could be two reasons why your transactions will not reconcile -

1. If you establish an opening balance with a transfer back into the account, that is a transaction that is normally not reconciled with the usual process and is posted to the account with an "R".
    2. When you reconcile an account register, the transactions with the same date as the reconciliation date are not included in the reconciliation.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The reason I can make such a statement isn't because I have access to your accounts, it's because I have seen it before.

Your assumption that Quicken is using the current date for the reconcile is wrong. Your Online Balance/date is not getting updated. that is where the problem is coming in. You are reconciling to a past date. Turn off online reconcile and reconcile to a date you put in, until you can resolve why your Online Balance/date isn't being updated.

Here is the full explanation of why Quicken is doing what it is doing:

Let's backup to how Quicken works. The reconcile only includes the cleared/uncleared transactions that are on the end reconcile date or older. I'm going to switch one of my accounts to "statement" reconcile so you can see this in action:

I have purposely put in a date that is before the last uncleared transaction.

This should be clear to you why Quicken put up the dialog "There are no uncleared items to reconcile" the uncleared transaction of $25 is on 3/31/2024, and I put in the date of 3/30/2024.

But what about the Online Balance/Date?

I purposedly didn't update today so look at the "Balance as of 3/30/2024: -982.95". So, I will try it again with the "Online Balance".

No surprise there.

Now I do an update, so that the Online Balance date will be changed (my downloading is working properly).

I'm sure if you switch to reconciling to the "statement date" you will find that the Online Balance date has not updated for today's date.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The two transactions @erictoninewport showed don't have R on them. One is c and the other is blank.

I think you have a typo on this one, transactions that have a date that are the same as the reconcile date will be included. It is transactions that have a date newer than the reconcile date that will not be included.

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Chris_QPW

#1 - I was just thinking maybe that an opening balance transaction was never included in a reconciliation because of the type of transaction it was.

#2 - Yes, a typo. Oops.

Reading through your last post, I agree that the reconciliation issue most likely stems from the Online Balance not being updated correctly. I have seen this issue many times, whether it be an Online Balance that has an "old" amount, or a balance that includes pending transactions.

This issue can be easily seen when transactions are manually updated to Quicken prior to downloading. If a user relies solely on Quicken to download transactions without manually entering the transactions first, then reconciliation becomes almost impossible if the Online Balance is not correct.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

#1 In Quicken Windows the "Opening Balance" isn't really special (I understand in Quicken Mac it is). Its no different than any "balance adjustment" transaction. It doesn't even have to be there. Most of the times I just delete it because it is zero anyways, or because I want my account to start as a transfer from another account.

This issue can be easily seen when transactions are manually updated to Quicken prior to downloading. If a user relies solely on Quicken to download transactions without manually entering the transactions first, then reconciliation becomes almost impossible if the Online Balance is not correct.

I haven't found this to be the case. Reconciling to the online balance and "manual entering transactions" are completely separate in my opinion.

When I was reconciling per month, I wasn't entering transactions manually and I wasn't reconciling to the Online Balance.

Now if you are going to be reconciling daily then it becomes a "pain", but not nearly impossible. It is a pain because you have to log into the financial institution's website or App to get the current balance to enter into Quicken, but other than that, it is certainly "doable".

Manually entered transactions just add the "matching" to downloaded transactions. That has nothing to do with the online balance or reconciling (when the matching is working right).

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    Options

I always enter transactions to the account register before they download. Doing this I can clearly see where transactions that download do not match the online balance. Most of the time it is a timing issue. I have accounts where the Online Balance gets updated prior to the transactions being downloaded. For reconciling, I just know to wait for the transactions to post after the balance gets updated. The time of day you update your accounts can also cause a timing issue, especially late at night. If I do an update and cannot reconcile, I just wait till the next day to finish the reconciliation. I reconcile on a daily basis and never had a real issue, but these are the challenges I have come across -

• Online Balance not updated correctly.
    • Online Balance includes pending transactions.
    • Timing issue where the transactions have been updated, but the Online Balance still hasn't, or vice versa.
    • Credit Card account has a credit balance, but Online Balance reflects an outstanding balance for the same amount.

Bottom line, when you have the "There are no uncleared items to reconcile." issue, most likely the problem is an incorrect Online Balance. And if that is the case, the option for the user is to wait it out and hope the Online Balance gets corrected, or not use the Online Balance for reconciliation.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, reconciling to the online balance is a nice idea, and I actually use it, but isn't 100% and in some cases, it can be 0%.

In the case of my financial institutions, I know the "timing issues" and as such I can deal with them. But if one is going to just blindly believe that the Online Balance is always right, then they are either going to run into problems sooner or later or they have gotten lucky enough to only be using the financial institutions that a problem free in this.

And here is an interesting piece of information, Chase's own website is not accurate in certain cases!

On the day where my automatic payment for a credit card comes in the payment will not be showing, but the balance will have already been adjusted. It won't be until the next day when they post the payment in the account will it all be correct.

Signature: