Rental Payment Reminder / no category option

Options
Beijing Mac
Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭

I am using Quicken Business & Personal; Ver R56.9 Build 27.1.56.9 (Windows 11 Home). I am using the Rental Management Module and have 2 properties with Tenant set up and have a Rental Income Reminder set for both tenants; set to remind and enter for the 1st of each month as that is when the rent is due. They both are set to use the same checking account as that is where the rent is deposited.

There is no category option (selection) for this Rental Income reminder and when it is entered, the category field in the account is blank. Every month I have to edit both entries to add the desired category.

Quicken — why is the rental reminder different than other reminders in that there is no category option?

question asked previously but never responded:

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Beijing Mac,

Reminders for rental properties behave a bit differently from normal income reminders. They do not include a category option because there is a default category that Quicken should be populating (when I test in my Quicken, it shows "Rents Received").

I can see your original post about not having an option to select category dates back to 2019. Was the category blank back then too, or did it previously fill something in?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The reminder does not have an option for a category —- please see my screenshot in original post. I use category "Rental Income" and have to add it manually each time. The entry in my receiving account (my checking account) will have the category blank after I use my Rental Reminder. I do not have a category of "Rents Received", even when I show Hidden Categories.

all other reminders for any income or expense have a "category" field, don't understand why the rental reminder is lacking this simple feature.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Your screenshot in your original post is the way rental income reminders display in the Enter Transaction window (see this FAQ for more information). What is unusual is that it's not showing any category at all when entered into your register. How long have you been seeing this issue with the category being blank once the reminder is entered in your register?

In the Bills & Income tab in your Quicken, under Income & Transfers, try finding that reminder and choosing to Edit that instance.

That should bring up a window that looks like the sample image below.

What category does it show there? Note, you can edit the category there, but that edit works only if you enter the reminder from the Bills & Income tab.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"The reminder does not have an option for a category ....".

The absence of a Category field in the "Enter (rent) Transaction" dialog is not the reason you are not getting a category in the resulting register transaction.

As Quicken Kristina noted, Quicken normally inserts its default rent income Category when you Enter a Quicken-created rent reminder.  

The fact that you're not getting any Category in the transactions generated from your Rent Reminder is likely due to the fact that you do not have the "default" rent income category in your Category List.

You can manually add that Category to your Category List to overcome the "missing" category in your rent income transactions. 

But I suggest you take the suggestion in my previous post instead - then you will have complete control over the contents of your rent income transactions.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

from Bills & Income, my reminders for my rental activity do show; when I select "edit this instance", I get the window you showed and currently my category is blank. To add the category here would require I edit each month as this is for each instance.

When I select "edit this instance and all future instances", I don't get the normal reminder edit window, the edit takes me back into the "Edit Rental Property Tenant" window as below and I am unable to find a category field in this section:

So am still unable to understand how to correct this or set this up so that each monthly reminder includes the correct category in my checking account? it appears I can edit each instance in the Bill Reminder section or simply go to my checking account and add category there?

if the "edit all" selection takes you back to the Tenant section, why can't I select a category here for rent?

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

which previous post are you referring? I must have missed this?

I do have a category for rent in my category list for Rental Income as below:

This is the category used for all my rental income activity. Is this what you mean by default?

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

you asked about how long have I noticed this issue? sorry, did not respond to that in my earlier reply.

At least since 2019; and I think prior to that, have been basically living with this and every once in a while think about trying to troubleshoot. I have been using the Quicken / Intuit rental manager for the longest time, originally I had the rental program that was separate from the basic Quicken program then when that was sunset'd and merged with the Quicken program I started using the combined program. Gosh, that was many years ago. So I most likely have many legacy quirks in my setups and reminders. (took me like 1-2 years to morph to the "tag" concept!).

Ms Higgins had a comment about a default rental income category not being used, frankly not sure if Quicken has designated a default which I didn't use since I was already using a category for rent priot to the Rental Module? but I do have an income category used for rent and it is available under the Rental section in my Category List as shown in my other reply.

Thanks, Mac

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

sigh…. just saw your response to other poster on similar rent reminder question….

so obvious.

and as Homer would say…..