Best and Bucket List Travel Destinations...

Quicken Jasmine
Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello Everybody and welcome to the beautiful month of June (IMO the best month as my birthday is tomorrow! ☺️)

Anywho, this month I thought we could discuss the best place that we have ever traveled to as well as a place that we would like to visit! For me, I would have to say that going to the Bahamas would have to be the best place that I have traveled to, the water was beautiful, it was warm, and the culture was fascinating! As far as a bucket list travel destination, I would have to say Italy. My great grandmother was born and raised in Sicily before moving to the United States. I would love to meet more of my family and learn more about my culture!

I can't wait to hear all of yours!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done a lot of traveling. My family lived in Milan Italy from 1969-1972, so I've been to most of western Europe. We used to go grocery shopping in Switzerland because of Italian dietary laws preventing preservatives in food. Would YOU want to tell my 6yo brother that he can't have Frosted Flakes?

I've also been to Rio de Janeiro twice; Mexico, multiple times; Turks & Caicos; Bahamas; Martinique; Tahiti. Each of the former was for about 2 weeks or more. And cruises around the Caribbean with multiple ports of call.

And, what's probably my favorite, Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Yarra Valley, Cairns, Hayman Island Resort). In Yarra, we were the guests of Domaine Chandon Australia, who arranged our tours to multiple other wineries.

As a total aside, when you see a picture of the Sydney Harbor Bridge, you should know that the stone columns at each corner were added well after construction. They're not structural. The Sidneysiders didn't believe that the bridge was safe without them … so they got added later. Purely cosmetic.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 13

First, Happy Early Birthday @Quicken Jasmine 🥳🎉 (telling you now since you're off tomorrow 😉).

Best travel destination for me is the Philippines. Going there was a big part of my childhood; I loved it every time we went. I would love to go back and take my kids and my husband to meet my family there, but turns out that that price tag now that I'm an adult is nowhere near what it was in the 90s and early 2000s so that is also on my bucket list. However, there are a few other destinations on my bucket list that I haven't been to yet, but at the top of that list would be Bora Bora, and Santorini in Greece.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 13

Best trip I've ever taken was Alaska in 2019, not just because Alaska itself was great but because of all the wonderful stuff I got to see on the way there & back again (I was on the road for 4 1/2 months). Going to the UK in 2002 for 3 weeks was also pretty memorable - that was my first big vacation.

The trip I haven't yet taken that I would most like to take is probably Australia & New Zealand. Biggest issue there is not wanting to spend 18+ hours on a plane - partly because of how hard it would be on my back to sit for that long and partly because the last two times my brother & his family have flown on vacation somebody ended up getting Covid.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator admin
    edited June 13

I am a city girl at heart when it comes to traveling. I have traveled to London twice and love going there so much. Any place that is known for its gloomy weather and or has a lot of history, I will travel to. Seattle was beautiful when I visited a couple of years ago. I have also been to Norway, Denmark and Sweden. The fjords are beautiful!

My bucket list travel destination is Switzerland. I hope to go in the next couple of years. If you have even been, let me know what you thought of it. It seems so peaceful and serene.

I also hope to travel to Banff in the next year or so as well.

P.S. Happy Early Birthday @Quicken Jasmine 🎇

Quicken Janean

• NotACPA

@Quicken Jasmine Didn't realize that you were going to be off tomorrow … so, HAPPY Early B'day from me also.

OR, as the song goes in my family:

Hippo Birdie, Two Ewes
    Hippo Birdie, Two Ewes
    Hippo Birdie, Deer Ewe
    Hippo Birdie, Two Ewes

• Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Quicken Jasmine
    edited June 13

Thank you!!! I think I should start a petition in my family for this to be my new Birthday theme song… I love the flow of it LOL 😂

-Quicken Jasmine

• NotACPA

We got the lyrics from a b'day card that one of us received many years ago. The card had the pertinent animals on the front.

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
  • Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• BK
    BK Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday @Quicken Jasmine !

I lived in Spain for almost three years and finished high school there when my dad took a job there - that was ages ago. Fast forward, 15 years ago took an expat work assignment in central Switzerland for 5+ years. We visited all 27 EU countries as well as many others in that continent. Then lived in Italy, France and Germany for shorter periods - all thanks to my former employer and our eagerness to jump at those opportunities. Our daughter practically grew up there and had a culture shock when we moved back home to So Cal.

Switzerland remains my favorite country over all due to the beauty of its nature, with amazing mountains and lakes for all kinds of seasonal activities, and within an hour to two drive/train in any direction you will cross the border to another country. Downside: unaffordable if not on company's dime.

For a foodie, northern Spain (Basque country) such as San Sebastian cannot be beat in IMO. Yet, my all-time favorite city in the entire world remains Munich from every aspect, have made many good friends and we visit frequently since our daughter is doing two years of college there.

As for bucket list, I'd like to see the northern lights.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 15

Happy Birthday to @Quicken Jasmine. (Had you started this thread for June prior to the middle of the month, it would have encompassed my birthday. 😂)

I've completed one bucket list trip two years ago: Antarctica. Spectacular scenery. And if you think penguins are cute (they are!), you'll be overjoyed to see the baby fur seals. Best ever. (I considered whether Alaska would be my best, but Antarctica wins for me. Scenery in Alaska is great, but there are lots of ships and people in every town; Antarctica has no towns to be overrun by tourists, and only one ship is allowed in each bay at a time, so you can really feel the wilderness and, stealing from the second man on the moon, the "magnificent desolation".)

We're about to embark on bucket list trip #2 in a few weeks: Machu Picchu and the Galapagos.

Two bucket list trips remain: (1) Australia & New Zealand, and (2) animal safari in southern Africa.

And there are lots of other places in the US and the world I want to visit — and return to. We've been fortunate to be able to do a lot of traveling, but there's no shortage of possible future trips, hopefully for years to come. Quicken, help me manage those investments!🤣

@Quicken Janean Yes, Switzerland is all that! Absolutely a worthy destination. Haven't been there for a long time now, but it's definitely on the list of places we want to go back to.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Quicken Jasmine 🎁!! Don't really care about traveling much in my 'golden years'. Plus on a budget 😉 Did some traveling though in 'sailor boy' days. Few highlights, North Atlantic, crossed the Artic Circle. The 'Med Cruise' hit most of the big-time ports; Athens, Naples (caught train to Rome), Palma, etc. 'Mid-East' cruise (in Navy that translates to Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf, Red Sea, etc.) Luckily all basically quiet in Mid-East while there, 1970, except for Yemen. We hit the beach in some decent ports. Bombay, Karachi, Luanda, etc. Craziest event for me was when we tied up in Mombasa, Kenya. Me & few buddies took a Quick 1 Day Safari (via open top van) out to Tsavo West Park Game Reserve to see the critter's and of course Mt. Kilimanjaro WAY OFF in distance. Here's funny part. Out in front of HUGE Resort Hotel at National Park were 2 men showing off their ostriches 😉. Crowd of people all around. One ostrich breaks free from trainer and begins running amuck!! People scatter, head for cover!! For some reason this lunatic ostrich heads straight for me, gives swift kick to my stomach 😂 rips my shirt, scratch on belly; but no major damage 🙃 Oh, for those good ole days 🤣

• Quicken Anja

"Had you started this thread for June prior to the middle of the month, it would have encompassed my birthday. 😂"

@jacobs Happy Belated Birthday! 🥳🎉

-Quicken Anja

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello All,

Thank you for the birthday wishes, it was a truly wonderful day spent with those that I love!

@jacobs, Happy belated birthday! Does this make you a Gemini as well?

-Quicken Jasmine

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@jacobs, Happy belated birthday! Does this make you a Gemini as well?

Absolutely!

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Jasmine

Hello @jacobs,

Woohoo! Always love knowing a fellow Gemini!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @MSStateDawg,

So much Italy, I am jealous!! 🤩

-Quicken Jasmine

• NotACPA

@MSStateDawg I also noticed your places in Italy, especially Como and Firenze. When we lived in Milano, we also had an apartment on Lago de Garda, another of the Italian alpine lakes.

And in 2001, for a family reunion in Italy, my parents rented a place in Todi, about 45 minutes from Orvieto where we'd go for wine purchases. Orvieto Classico is a GREAT summer wine.

• Frankx
    Frankx Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday, @Quicken Jasmine,

The best place I've ever travelled to is a tough decision to make, since I have been fortunate to have seen many countries over the years.

I guess it would be a toss-up between Poland and China.

Poland is a beautiful country with very friendly folks and great food (part of my heritage, I guess). It has beautiful cities, including one with a street having my name, and others sites that are important for their historical impact, such as the Krakow concentration camps.

China is amazing, also for the historical sites - like walking the Great Wall knowing how many years it has stood - and also for its current day culture and cuisine.

But in all cases, traveling - no matter where you go - is a great way to learn, on the ground, about how wonderful our world really is.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• This content has been removed.
  • Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine