Why is Quicken for Windows Still a 32 bit App?

Options
Paddy
Paddy Member ✭✭

What is Quicken for Windows Still a 32 bit App? It's a dog and because it's not 64 bit so it can't move out of the way etc.

Answers

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Folks have made note of this for years and commented ….

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And, the reason is that they'd have to re-write the whole thing. By any chance do you remember the fiasco that was the Mac re-write when Apple required such.

Do you want to see that in QWin also? And, if you search this forum on your topic, you'll see that there are emulators that allow you to run QWin 32 on a 64 machine.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Paddy,

There is an active Idea Post requesting a 64 bit version of Quicken for Windows:

Ideas that get enough votes may be implemented in the future, so if this is something you'd like to see, please add your vote!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29
    Options

What is Quicken for Windows Still a 32 bit App? It's a dog and because it's not 64 bit so it can't move out of the way etc.

This statement is a myth.

Other than access to more memory and as slight advantage is instruction execution vectoring speed, there isn't anything inherently faster in 64-bit mode than in 32-mode. It also seems that because of the additional institutions in the 64 bit mode for "compute intensive programs" they cans can something like a 33% improvement in those operations. This also comes at the cost of larger programs and more memory needed. Note that Quicken isn't a compute intensive program.

When the subject of performance in Quicken comes up people seldom actually focus on where Quicken performs badly, just make general statements with nothing to back them up.

For instance, the database because it is old has been accused of being "slow". Every test I can come up with that actually tests the database itself says this is wrong. Let me give you an example. "My investment account takes a long time between entries, so the database must be slow." With data not only from that account but all the other investment accounts run a report for a much longer period of time and you will find that the report comes up pretty fast. That data is coming from the same database that the register gets its data from. So, how can it possibly be that the database is slow?

I believe the bad performance in the investment register are due to a terrible GUI layout and the fact that it seems like they are on the fly recalculating all the security lot information in that account every time anything is changed.

What people perceive as "slow" is seldom due to "the processor", unless the program is doing some very intensive work like video editing or gaming, or AI learning.

The main things people really see that is "slow" are things like bad algorithms, or things that aren't really under the program's control like how fast downloading transactions or other information is.

And what's more none if this matters in the case of Quicken Windows.

It is quite known that the database that Quicken is using is so old that it isn't supported any more, which means there isn't a 64-bit version of it. And there is no way that they are going to be able to switch out that database without rewriting most of Quicken Windows. The benefit to cost is just not there, especially for a company that has about 200 employees.

BTW the main "advantage" that Quicken Windows has over the completion (Including Quicken Mac) which is fading over time its extensive feature set. That is a double edge sword. If you look at a lot of those feature, the business ones, tax planner, … you will find that they are in fact done with very old GUI libraries. The "hallmark" of Quicken Windows is a lot of features are not properly maintained. And the reason for that is because the work to do that vs trying to put in feature requests just doesn't leave enough time or isn't a priority.

Many a time I see somebody commenting in the Quicken Mac threads that says something like "Quicken Windows has had this feature forever why doesn't Quicken Mac have it?" The main reason for that is each feature takes time to implement and there are a LOT of features to implement, but I probably make myself quite a nuisance over there because I point out that the feature they are requesting is in fact buggy and in some cases not even working.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Paddy
    Paddy Member ✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW Maybe so but I am just trying to accept a transaction and it takes a long time.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In an investment account or a non investment account?

Signature:
  • Paddy
    Paddy Member ✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW I don't remember. What do you suspect?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The one part of Quicken that is "known to perform badly" is the investment registers when any given register has a lot of securities/security lots/transactions in it. If the performance problem is isolated to a given investment account this is most likely the problem.

The general workaround for this is to move the closed securities lots to another investment account because Quicken only reads in an account when you open it. If you want to try this there is an Archive Transactions on the gear icon menu in the investment accounts.

Signature: