Macintosh to Windows Migration

Tom Auer
Tom Auer Member ✭✭✭

Today I migrated my Quicken account from Macintosh to Windows. I would wish worse things on my worst enemies, but I have a bit of a temper.

I was able to migrate most of my data by exporting on the Macintosh side to a .QFW (I think) file, then creating a blank account on the Windows, and importing the .QFW account into the blank account. Finding that process took several tries. If that is documented anywhere, I'd be curious to hear where.

I'm moving back to a Windows computer (and I've had several personal computers on both sides) because Quicken, among other applications, is reputed (or observed in my experience) to run better on the Windows side. This migration has gone better than my last two personal computer migrations — which is not exactly effusive praise.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @Tom Auer,

Converting your file from Windows to Mac can be difficult, but there is a process in place to do it. You would follow these steps from this article on Converting Quicken for Mac data:

Convert from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows

Important: Always make a backup of your file prior to attempting a conversion and review your information in the converted file.

1. Open your data file in Quicken Mac.
    2. Choose File > Export > Quicken Windows Transfer File (QXF)....
    3. Save the .QXF file to media that will allow you to move it to your PC, such as a thumb drive or CD/DVD. You can also use Dropbox to move files. For more information, click here
    4. Move the media (thumb drive or CD/DVD) to your computer running Windows.
    5. Open Quicken for Windows.
    6. Choose File > New Quicken File.
    7. Select New Quicken File, click OK.
    8. Name your new data file and press OK.
    9. Choose File > Import and then select the .QXF file from your media.

When the conversion process is complete, you will need to reconnect your accounts for transaction download in the new Windows file.

1. Go to Tools > Add Account.
    2. Select the bank. If prompted, select the connection method.
    3. Enter your credentials and click Connect.
    4. When the list of located accounts appears, choose LINK next to each account you want to reactivate.
    5. Click Next then Done on the last prompt.

Repeat this process until all of your previously connected accounts are reconnected. 

Since you mentioned you periodically switch between Mac and Windows, you may want to bookmark this article on switching from Quicken for Windows to Quicken for Mac, just in case you need it in the future: https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016/ .

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• smayer97
    smayer97 Quicken Mac Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind that the two applications ARE NOT identical and do not support all the same features at this time, so, many things DO NOT transfer over from one platform to the other, aside from connection info. This includes, but is not limited to, saved reports, scheduled transactions, attachments, some investment stats (historical prices, lot management?), classes vs Tags, budgets, data related to features unique to respective platform, e.g. invoices, list of payees address list, tracking reconciliation dates/periods. Though the process has significantly improved over time, keep this in mind, as migration is not a perfectly clean process, and therefore requires some data massaging each time.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.