Category misallocation

Justin7709
Justin7709 Member

Over the last two weeks Quicken has started allocating almost all of my transactions to the home improvement category. Anybody experienced something similar and how do I fix this so that I don't have to go and correct almost all allocations?

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @Justin7709,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. Is this happening in manual accounts, accounts that are connected to the financial institution for automatic updates through One Step Update, and/or accounts that you update using Web Connect (importing a .QFX file from the financial institution into your Quicken)?

If the categories are changing in downloaded transactions, you may want to go to Edit>Preferences>Downloaded transactions and see if Automatically categorize transactions is selected.

If it is selected and you don't want Quicken to automatically categorize your transactions, then uncheck that box and click OK.

If it is selected and you do want Quicken to automatically categorize your transactions, then I'd recommend editing your Memorized Payee List to ensure that Quicken will see the correct category to assign to each Payee. For more information on using memorized payees, please review this article on how to use memorized payees. You may also need to set up renaming rules to help Quicken recognize the payees (some businesses will add a store number or reference number onto the payee, which can make Quicken see it as a new payee). For more information on renaming rules, please review this article on creating and editing renaming rules.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Hi Kristina

All my accounts are connected to my bank and automatically updated using one step update.

What is strange is that I have been using Quicken for some time have not changed the settings and it is just the last two weeks transactions that have been affected with this issue. Prior to this issue Quicken was really working well in automatically categorizing my transactions.

Thanks for the articles and please let me know given the above if anything else could be causing this issue, an update or something else that might have changed the setup?

Regards,

Justin

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are all your downloaded transactions associated (incorrectly) with the same Payee Name?
    If that were the case, I'd suspect an incorrectly defined Renaming Rule to be the cause. Identify and delete this bad Renaming Rule.

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?
    How do I post a screenshot in the community from windows

How do I post a screenshot in the community from a mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG or JPG only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

This discussion has been closed.